Long term keeper: ST2-S or ST5???

MinnBobber

Would you prefer a ST2-S or ST5 for a long term bike?
Wish the ST5 had a gear indicator like the ST2-S,
and an adjustable cockpit.

Is the new Omni in the ST5 a big deal??

Which would you prefer and why?

The Omni can be upgraded to c, same as st5 for 500.00 retail. I kinda like 26” wheels on st2, does handle a bit sportier. Adjustable cockpit means a lot to me, but I think you could put st3 stem on st5 and then it would allow most any handlebars. St2 also has 12.5mph button and will climb about anything without pedaling.
if st2 s with like new battery, the adjustable cockpit and 12.5 button would be my choice, especially considering cost would likely be less- being an older model.

I have an ST2s. I thought about upgrading, but in my case, I don't believe that it warrants the expense. My original OMNI started misbehaving, so it was replaced under warranty for an OMNI-C. The only other advantages to upgrading would be the larger wheels, a lightly more powerful motor and a sleeker cockpit. But then there's the disadvantages: no gear position indicator, less adjustability and the awkward Shimano charging port position. I'd eat several thousand dollars to sell and re-buy, so it's not a good deal for me.

I have an ST2s. I thought about upgrading, but in my case, I don't believe that it warrants the expense. My original OMNI started misbehaving, so it was replaced under warranty for an OMNI-C. The only other advantages to upgrading would be the larger wheels, a lightly more powerful motor and a sleeker cockpit. But then there's the disadvantages: no gear position indicator, less adjustability and the awkward Shimano charging port position. I'd eat several thousand dollars to sell and re-buy, so it's not a good deal for me.
Hi Andy, I have an ST5.
The larger wheels are an advantage with a higher attack angle when coming into contact with bumps in the road.
W/r/t the gear selector I was initially worried but I can assure you that you very quickly get used to its absence. ( modern road bikes don't have them...)
The charging port was originally located in a very awkward position which made the connection very hard without damaging the cable. It has been relocated ( on 2020 models) to the end of the handlebar on the right side.
Very practical. No longer an issue.
The driving position is described as forward agressive, sporty and could be uncomfortable for some.
Unfortunately the stem angle is fixed and cannot be adjusted. It is also proprietary ( all the cables and brake lines and electronics go through it ).
I have not ridden an ST2s and I hear many people describe it as more agile. This may be the case however when I am riding on my ST5 I've never felt that it was heavy or sluggish. It is more powerful very agile, stable as a tank when cruising at high speed and has larger brakes( 203 mm rotors, quad piston by trp front and rear).
I love the sleek look of the cockpit and the driving position but that is a matter of taste and may not suit everyone.

Hi Andy, I have an ST5.
The larger wheels are an advantage with a higher attack angle when coming into contact with bumps in the road.
W/r/t the gear selector I was initially worried but I can assure you that you very quickly get used to its absence. ( modern road bikes don't have them...)
The charging port was originally located in a very awkward position which made the connection very hard without damaging the cable. It has been relocated ( on 2020 models) to the end of the handlebar on the right side.
Very practical. No longer an issue.
The driving position is described as forward agressive, sporty and could be uncomfortable for some.
Unfortunately the stem angle is fixed and cannot be adjusted. It is also proprietary ( all the cables and brake lines and electronics go through it ).
I have not ridden an ST2s and I hear many people describe it as more agile. This may be the case however when I am riding on my ST5 I've never felt that it was heavy or sluggish. It is more powerful very agile, stable as a tank when cruising at high speed and has larger brakes( 203 mm rotors, quad piston by trp front and rear).
I love the sleek look of the cockpit and the driving position but that is a matter of taste and may not suit everyone.
It's good to hear that they've fixed the placement of the DI2 charge port. If I were starting from scratch, I would seriously consider getting an ST5.

Back