Long term battery storage.

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
So it seems for long term battery storage you should store it at 80% charge or a little less. My question is say you have it at 100% and all the sudden you get bad weather. Is there any way to burn some battery without actually riding it? Bosch 500 power tube battery if that matters.

So it seems for long term battery storage you should store it at 80% charge or a little less. My question is say you have it at 100% and all the sudden you get bad weather. Is there any way to burn some battery without actually riding it? Bosch 500 power tube battery if that matters.
the only practical way is to take it to a shop and have them do it. or leave it about half charged till the day you need it.

You do NOT have to worry about it too much, if it's under 7 days. If it's low temperature, like in winter, you can even keep battery fully charged for longer, without any capacity loss.
For longer storage best is 60%, around 3,6-3,7V/cell. But if it's a few days, because it's raining, and battery is fully charged, there is no need to discharge it. For Li-Ion batteries the worst is [1] high temperature, f.e. bike left in 60 degree C, [2] deep discharge for long time.

This is a topic full of urban legends and info of dubious quality. I've hunted for something definitive, and run into blind alleys because we really don't know anything about the BMS that our batteries use. The vendors treat it as a trade secret, I guess.

So do what you're comfortable with, and recognize that the advice you get here may not even be relevant for your battery. The only thing we can all confidently say is that storing a discharged battery is not good. But even then, it's possible that your battery's BMS keeps quite a bit of protective charge at zero!

Back