LOCKS - All about Ebike locks !!

@Ravi Kempaiah, it doesn't look like the TiG would work with step-through models. I did a Google search for "stepthrough," "step-through," and (*grumble*) "girl" and didn't find those words used on the site. It also looks like you'd need a very specific, made-for-bicycles structure to attach it to. Sometimes, we gotta use what's around us, and it's not always a bicycle rack.

And then there's Dave's video. Tsk.

There's no lock that a motivated thief can't get through. All you can do is basically make your bike more annoying then the other ones on the bike rack! That being said any of the higher end bikes that have Magura brakes and other higher end components could be easily taken off, and that would cost a fortune to replace.
Take your bike inside wherever you go I guess, and never leave it out of your sight!

Or you can buy insurance that covers both total loss (theft, totaled in an wreck) and loss of components/accessories off of it. And then lock it up with a couple of different types of locks (chain, band, braided steel cable, u-lock) in the hopes that, yes, someone else's bike is a more appealing target.

I'm lucky in that I'm parking my bike in a highly-trafficked location on a secured site. Not that it couldn't get stolen, but it's vastly less likely to than if I was parking it on a street somewhere.

I really liked the Tigr lock, but that's just too easy to defeat. Less then 6 seconds with a bolt cutter, same as many inexpensive cable locks. I think the best lock solution is still the Ubolt type that Ravi talked about earlier. Transporting them is the problem I see, along with the weight.

The Cricket bicycle alarm looks promising. It appears they have reached their goal on Indiegogo and are viable. I like the size and the capabilities. The big problem for me is, it is only Iphone compatible at the moment, they may make Android available in the future.

That's pretty sweet Dave, thanks for sharing! I feel like the world is becoming a smarter place where people can take responsibility in thoughtful ways. I like how this is simple and discreet, how it can be used with anything and uses crowd sourcing to recover missing items. Sure, a thief could just remove the device but for ~$25 these seem like a decent solution.

I'm new to this group and am leaning towards getting a Pegedo City Commuter. I really love the reviews you've posted on all the bikes. It's helped me tremendously.

Since we're talking alarms: What about this alarm:
Could this device work if you also have a Thudbuster? The "hidden in the frame" one is not available yet, but very soon. I was thinking to use this in combination with a Kryptonite 997986 Black 18mm New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock.

Neat product finds there Jane! I read through and checked out a few of the other trackers (light, top cap and the seat post thing you found). I imagine this would work with the Thudbuster as the base of the post is just like any other... It's hollow and I think the thickness of the metal is standard. Looks like the "Integrated Trackers" company ships worldwide (not sure where you're from).

bike-theft-gps-products.jpg

I've always wondered how something like this works through the metal frame on the bike? Is part of the tracking device exposed? I could see how that would work with the light and maybe the stem cap but what about the seat post... I'd love to hear your thoughts if you get this and try it out :)

I'm new to this group and am leaning towards getting a Pegedo City Commuter.

I still loving my Commuter and have put over 700 commute-to-work miles on it. If you have any questions about the model, feel free to direct-message me or put my handle in a post so I get notified about your question. (The latter option shares the info with the rest of the community.)

Just adding another piece of info from Bicycling.com and their "Smash Lab" where they tested a bunch of locks.

bike-lock-test.jpg
We busted some locks to find out which ones you can trust: Which locks best frustrate a thief? We decided to find out by asking an expert, Hal Ruzal, a longtime mechanic at Bicycle Habitat in New York City, to hack through a batch. To make the test realistic, we requested that he use only the tools commonly carried by thieves. About those tools: The cordless angle grinder he wielded might be the weapon of choice in cities like New York, but they’re far less common in smaller towns. Buy as much lock as you need for where you live.

And here is a unique way to unlock it.

The TiGr Lock comes in two widths, 0.75" and 1.25". That German video does not show or mention the 1.25" wide version; I don’t know why they left it out.

As we said on Kickstarter back in 2011 “The Titanium shackle will be available in two widths; 0.75” and 1.25”. The 0.75” provides good security and light weight and is appropriate for moderate threat scenarios. The 1.25“ version provides a superior level of bike security. … Testing in our workshop demonstrates that the 1.25” titanium bow survives a 48” bolt cutter attack and that sawing is extremely difficult and time consuming due to the ‘springy’ nature of the titanium bow at a third the weight of a common U-lock. Yes, these preliminary tests were done by us with our equipment, your pledge dollars will help fund testing and certification from an accredited third party.” Source here on Kickstarter page.

Both width variations of TiGr Locks were tested by the ART Foundation – an accredited 3rd party lock testing organization in the Netherlands. The 125 TiGr Locks met/exceeded all ART 2-star certification standards.

We offer the TiGr in two widths (075 and 125) to give folks a choice in the weight, cost and level of cutting resistance of their TiGr. The 125 TiGr bows are light; the 075 TiGr bows are even lighter. The 125 TiGr bows provide more protection from bolt cutter attack than the 075 TiGr bows.

At the end of the day, your bike lock choice comes down to balancing your wants as a rider with your needs for security. You always want to enjoy the ride. Sometimes you need a good lock. At TiGr Lock we want to protect both your bike and your bike riding enjoyment.

Thanks - [email protected]

I'm glad that you mentioned the Cricket. I was just reading about it.
I have a good lock, but I also want an alarm. It seems that most of the threads I have found for alarms, turn into conversations about locks.

More info about alarm, P & TY

Irene

The Cricket bicycle alarm looks promising. It appears they have reached their goal on Indiegogo and are viable. I like the size and the capabilities. The big problem for me is, it is only Iphone compatible at the moment, they may make Android available in the future.

Those comments are from months ago. Didn't see any recent comments, like within the last 3 weeks.

Thank you, but I also need info regarding an alarm. Madison is just big enough, and with the UW, I think an additional deterant would be a good idea.

TY

Irene

I'm a KS funder for the Noke Ulock. It's supposed to be shipped out sometime in Sept.

Back