Locking method for ebike commuters

Javagenki

I'm about to make a purchase of a RadRover. I would like to be able to use it to ride to my park and ride a few miles away where I would lock it an leave it for the workday but I am very concerned about theft or vandalism...even with a secure lock. Is anyone else doing this and what methods and tools are you using to deter theft and/or vandalism?

Thanks!

I'm about to make a purchase of a RadRover. I would like to be able to use it to ride to my park and ride a few miles away where I would lock it an leave it for the workday but I am very concerned about theft or vandalism...even with a secure lock. Is anyone else doing this and what methods and tools are you using to deter theft and/or vandalism?

Thanks!
There are some threads going on security and locks. I'm commuting on my ebike and locking it at public racks in a busy downtown area. You can check this thread where I talk about technique and locks used:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/security.13572/#post-107952

This active thread, particularly one of the last postings, has a link to an eye opening review of some of the top locks:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...es-with-this-bikelock.5085/page-2#post-109337

Thanks, Over50. I did see some of the locking threads and there do seem to be some good options out there. I was mostly curious if there were those who are taking the risk of leaving their beautiful ebike out there and exposed for the day...and what methods (locks, motion sensors, etc) they use to deter. What has your experience been? I must have a little PTSD in this area as I had my beautiful mountain/road hybrid bike that I loved dearly stolen at a bus station years ago - it's painful to think about 20 years later. :)

You should look at the bicycles that are left at the rack where you want to lock up your bike. If they look old and ratty, it's probably not a place for your new steed.. Even worse, if there arent any bike left there, it tells you it's not safe.

Thanks, Over50. I did see some of the locking threads and there do seem to be some good options out there. I was mostly curious if there were those who are taking the risk of leaving their beautiful ebike out there and exposed for the day...and what methods (locks, motion sensors, etc) they use to deter. What has your experience been? I must have a little PTSD in this area as I had my beautiful mountain/road hybrid bike that I loved dearly stolen at a bus station years ago - it's painful to think about 20 years later. :)

That is a bit of a different situation (having to leave all day sight unseen). I am parking in front of two different office buildings. Both are high traffic and have security teams. Which isn't to say that I have a lot of confidence they are monitoring the bike racks. The one in front of my office is a hangout for the office smokers so from 8am to 5pm there is generally someone standing close by. And me being paranoid I check on it about 10 times per day. The other office building I use about 50% of the time because the racks are covered- but it is 3 blocks from my office. So I can only check on the bike a couple of times per day. I had the Boomerang GPS but the unit failed and I haven't worked out a replacement yet. Your situation is why I wasn't commuting by bike prior to getting the ebike. I did have the option of riding my regular bike to a bus stop about 5 miles from my house and taking the bus to work. But I didn't feel there was a safe place to lock the bike for the entire day. The ebike gave me the ability to ride all the way to work and back. I would have a tough time leaving either my ebike or my human powered city commuter locked up for the entire day in any of the areas around my office or even my home if I couldn't check on it from time to time. I probably have too much separation anxiety for that...

Why don't you just park your bike in your office? There should be a closet or unoccupied cubicle where you could stash your bike during the workday.

I commuted via bike for several years in the Seattle area. I kept my bike in the office and had exactly one complaint (from the landlord). My response was along the lines of "three bikes have been stolen on this block so far this year. What positive steps can you take to guarantee the security of my bike?" There was no response so I kept stashing the bike in an oversized closet.

Why don't you just park your bike in your office? There should be a closet or unoccupied cubicle where you could stash your bike during the workday...
It occurred to me but I thought it awkward since we are on the 16th floor of a large office tower. I do have assigned indoor parking adjacent and on my first commute I locked the bike inside the parking garage (to a railing because they have no bike racks indoors). I was later told 'no bikes allowed'. My company rents spaces there and they don't own the garage. I'm still considering making a stink about it because if I can scan in and park a car why can't I park a bike (others ride motorcycles)? Main issue for me is they don't really have any good spots to lock up the bike. I had to find a railing in a corner but I didn't necessarily think it was any more secure than the outdoor bike racks.

Back