loading/unload ebike from platform bike rack

Check with oneUp - I think the express shipping is only for how it actually ships and that delay is across the board.
I emailed 1up and they explained that with express shipping, they’ll also expedite order processing. I guess for that extra $100, they give your order more priority when processing. I went ahead and submitted my order without express shipping / expedited processing, but they seem to have no problems charging my credit card immediately! Expecting my rack in 4-5 weeks.

1) The maximum weight limit of the Kuat Transfer v2 is 40lbs/bike. Is your ebike, even with battery removed, less than that?

2) Ramps not made for this rack won't work. In particular, I own the 1UP ramp (and will gladly sell it, btw), and don't see how that would fit another brand's rack.

3) Ramps are good for 1 bike only anyway. Rolling up the second bike will have interference with the first bike due to close spacing and handlebars. It really sucks leaning the second bike to try to miss the first bike. Might as just lift the damn thing.

4) There is a bike rack, the MoTow, which has an available screw lift. You can load the bikes almost on the ground and then use a power drill to raise the platform. It's not cheap, though.
I have verified with the company that the V2 will hold a 60lb bike for the 1st bike loaded, and additional bikes @ 40lb limit. The specs stipulate that on their website.

Having considered many options, I opted for Thule Easy Fold. My circumstances are a little unique because I live in a Condo and do not have a garage to store something like the Kuat. The ability to fold and store the Thule was a very compelling reason for me

Very interesting!! In this video, the woman keeps comparing the new racks to the old ones, which she never names but is implied as "1Up". Several improvement made and less tools needed for rack adjustments and expansion. With these improvements, QuikRStuff looks to have improved upon 1Up's rack, but priced at nearly $1000 for a two-bike setup. Ouch!!
Wow $1k for a 2 bike rack?!?. Ouch, I'll pass on that!

Kuat Transfer with 2" hitch, first bike is rated at 60 lbs, 40 lbs 2nd bike. My girlfriend's ebike is 55 lbs, maybe around 45 lbs without batttery. Second bike is mountain bike, 31 lbs.
If I get a ramp, it would have to be another rack since Transfer doesn't support it.
FYI-The 1 1/4 inch receiver will support a 60lb bike as well. I verified this with the company tech via chat today.

FYI-The 1 1/4 inch receiver will support a 60lb bike as well. I verified this with the company tech via chat today.
I got that information from their website. It actually doesn't look right. It says 1-bike rack supports 60/lb, plus 40/lb with add-on rack. But the 2-bike 1.25/2" rack supports only 40/lb per bike. Shouldn't the one piece rack for 2-bikes be stronger than the one-plus-one rack?

Hey @Padrepedro, I have a hitch mounted platform rack on my Prius and it does not have a ramp. My back and knees are sensitive, so instead of lifting the bike to get on and off, I use the right brake (to lock the rear wheel) to pop a wheelie and set the front tire on the rack, then I only have the lift the rear as I steer. I tried to demo this during a recent review of the RadMission, you can see it around the time 34:27 :D

I got that information from their website. It actually doesn't look right. It says 1-bike rack supports 60/lb, plus 40/lb with add-on rack. But the 2-bike 1.25/2" rack supports only 40/lb per bike. Shouldn't the one piece rack for 2-bikes be stronger than the one-plus-one rack?
You would think, right? Looks like when you get into a 3 bike carrier, it knocks it down to 40lbs per bike for all 3 mounted. I am interested in the 1 bike carrier right now @ 60lb limits. I made sure I verified my intended use with the company rep via chat and they gave me the thumbs up. Good Luck!

Hey @Padrepedro, I have a hitch mounted platform rack on my Prius and it does not have a ramp. My back and knees are sensitive, so instead of lifting the bike to get on and off, I use the right brake (to lock the rear wheel) to pop a wheelie and set the front tire on the rack, then I only have the lift the rear as I steer. I tried to demo this during a recent review of the RadMission, you can see it around the time 34:27 :D

Thanks @Court ! I tried a loading maneuver similar to what you did, and it works well enough, so no ramp needed. Really appreciate all your great reviews!!

Thanks @Court ! I tried a loading maneuver similar to what you did, and it works well enough, so no ramp needed. Really appreciate all your great reviews!!
My 2 cents- I have also used the plastic milk crate method to lift my eMTB onto a bike work stand. The same could apply when lifting your bike onto you bike carrier. I think I'll try Court's method as well. Nice heads up. 👍

I will be purchasing a Kuat carrier and it is higher off the ground than my current rack which is approx 12 inches off the ground. This technique will come in handy for me as well. Thanks for posting.

I just bought this KAC rack for our Aventon Levels...solid as a rock!
29FF13C8-4854-41F4-A918-9BD6EAB3EB21.jpeg

I will be purchasing a Kuat carrier and it is higher off the ground than my current rack which is approx 12 inches off the ground. This technique will come in handy for me as well. Thanks for posting.
Received my 1 bike V2 and just finished assembly. Went together quite well.
FYI- Contacted etrailer and they just received a new stock of these racks. They were willing to do a price match with free shipping. Jump on it! 👍 ;)

I received my 1up rack today, 4 weeks after ordering it. It is a beautiful rack, so well engineered. And the hitch bar it doesn't extend 14" beyond my hitch like my Kuat NV 2.0 rack, which causes it to scrape my driveway. I did notice that changing the rack position is not as easy to change as on Kuat rack, as sometimes the lever does not release fully on one side or the other when I pulled on it. Have to giggles the rack position to get it to release.

I purchased the single + one add-on, since most of the time I'll be just carrying one bike. In this configuration, I can open my RAV4's lift gate without having to lower the rack.

On a side note, I was going to return the Kuat rack to REI, but someone hit my rack last week when parked at a mountain biking lot! The arm that holds the tire is misaligned by about 3 inches, so it cannot hold a bike upright anymore. Luckily, the other driver's insurance will be repaying me for the price of the Kuat rack. Lesson learned: never leave the car rack down when bikes are unloaded, as it can be hard to see when someone else is backing up their car.

Attachments

• IMG_7027.jpg
    IMG_7027.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 242
Ordered the motow ebike rack for about $500. Really wanted to like this rack, but it does not work for the ride 1 up 700st. The rack interferes with the centrally mounted kick stand and the chain. It also is very hard to mount with the rack and scratches the rack easily. So returned it. I'm posting this others do not make the same costly mistake. Bought a fulltyme 1300 rack from Walmart for $119. Very solid. Although you do need an adapter bike bar for step through. It is a Hollywood style hitch rack. Took it on its maiden 150 mile trip and it performed flawlessly.

Back