loading/unload ebike from platform bike rack

Ordered the motow ebike rack for about $500. Really wanted to like this rack, but it does not work for the ride 1 up 700st. The rack interferes with the centrally mounted kick stand and the chain. It also is very hard to mount with the rack and scratches the rack easily. So returned it. I'm posting this others do not make the same costly mistake. Bought a fulltyme 1300 rack from Walmart for $119. Very solid. Although you do need an adapter bike bar for step through. It is a Hollywood style hitch rack. Took it on its maiden 150 mile trip and it performed flawlessly.

Thx for the update. Not sure how this could interfere with a kick stand or chain though? This supports the wheels from inside the tyre rim and the bottom of the wheel. Was it the wheel bottom support arms? Happen to have any pictures? I do agree that when moving the inner bike from the outside position to the inside position you have to be careful, especially if you don't have a lot of room between the spokes. I had some left over adhesive neoprene squares that I cut down and wrapped around the rack arms and cradles to provide additional protection after seeing a couple of marks on my wife's bike/rack.

I also recently received an email from them stating that they are sending our replacement straps for the lower cradles as apparently there have been reports of failures. Haven't received the straps though yet.

I got that information from their website. It actually doesn't look right. It says 1-bike rack supports 60/lb, plus 40/lb with add-on rack. But the 2-bike 1.25/2" rack supports only 40/lb per bike. Shouldn't the one piece rack for 2-bikes be stronger than the one-plus-one rack?
I believe it's the tongue weight upper limit for your receiver which is the deciding factor. The 1&1/4 receiver on my Kia Soul has a tongue weight rating of 200lbs. so as long as the rack plus my bike weighs less than that I'm good.

Thx for the update. Not sure how this could interfere with a kick stand or chain though? This supports the wheels from inside the tyre rim and the bottom of the wheel. Was it the wheel bottom support arms? Happen to have any pictures? I do agree that when moving the inner bike from the outside position to the inside position you have to be careful, especially if you don't have a lot of room between the spokes. I had some left over adhesive neoprene squares that I cut down and wrapped around the rack arms and cradles to provide additional protection after seeing a couple of marks on my wife's bike/rack.

I also recently received an email from them stating that they are sending our replacement straps for the lower cradles as apparently there have been reports of failures. Haven't received the straps though yet.
the lower arm support can not get to the tire and make contact and support as the kickstand is in the way. Also the chsin bangs against the lower support arm as well
see photos
20210329_172718.jpg
20210329_172813.jpg

Attachments

• 20210329_172755.jpg
    20210329_172755.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 216
the lower arm support can not get to the tire and make contact and support as the kickstand is in the way. Also the chsin bangs against the lower support arm as well
see photos
View attachment 85276View attachment 85277

Interesting. I have 2 support arms for each side (total of 4); 1 for the inner bike and a separate one for the outer bike per L/R arm. I put my wife's 20" on the inner and her short support arm is higher. Then the longer support arm goes under and out to the bottom of my tyres.

1) The maximum weight limit of the Kuat Transfer v2 is 40lbs/bike. Is your ebike, even with battery removed, less than that?

2) Ramps not made for this rack won't work. In particular, I own the 1UP ramp (and will gladly sell it, btw), and don't see how that would fit another brand's rack.

3) Ramps are good for 1 bike only anyway. Rolling up the second bike will have interference with the first bike due to close spacing and handlebars. It really sucks leaning the second bike to try to miss the first bike. Might as just lift the damn thing.

4) There is a bike rack, the MoTow, which has an available screw lift. You can load the bikes almost on the ground and then use a power drill to raise the platform. It's not cheap, though.

The rims rest on the upper arms and the wheels are strapped.
The tires rest on the lower arms and are strapped in.

So, the MoTow isn't really a platform rack, but it doesn't hold bikes by their frames. There is metal rim to rack contact, though, which probably isn't much of a problem unless you've got some fancy carbon fiber rims and even then probably OK.

You can watch the videos on MoTow's site. If you're using the same bikes all the time it seems fine, but adjusting the arms and straps for new bikes each time looks somewhat fiddly.
Hello- Still have the 1up Ramp for sale? If some is it Black?

Back