LMT’D w/ MTB Handlebars & Maxxis DHR2 2.4” Knobbies

rpr

Region
USA
In case anyone wants to see how the LMT’D looks with straighter MTB handlebars and 2.4” Maxxis Minion DHR2 knobbies. I also replaced the 46T chainring with a smaller 38T to reduce the gearing and I replaced the 170mm crank arms with 152mm. The BB sits pretty low on this bike and the 170mm crank arms were just too close to the ground IMHO.

Overall all the mods were big improvements. I particularly disliked the swept back handlebars.

1672616748899.jpeg

Looks great but those (expensive) tires are designed for much tougher trails than I'd ride that bike on 🙃

Yes, they may be a bit of overkill but due to the skinny 19mm rims on this bike the “Double Down” thick sidewalls on the DHR2’s help to keep a proper tire profile (no sidewall bulging and no rounding of the top), they minimize the risk of the wider tires rolling off the skinny rims, and they minimize the risk of punctures.

Doesn’t make it a single track eMTB but they should (I hope) help on the gravel roads and rutted fire service roads in our area.

Everything’s a compromise…if you find a 53lb step through 750W torque sensor eMTB with full suspension let me know!

Last edited:
If the LMT’D still rides too harsh a Judy Gold Silver front shock upgrade might help.

I had hoped to also put a Kinekt suspension seat post on it but as it looks right now it will raise the seat height too high for my wife.

No I didn’t. I was looking at a few but it didn’t seem necessary for now. Her riding position seems pretty good with the OEM short stem length.

If anyone else plans on swapping out the stock hybrid tires just keep in mind the LMT’D comes with very skinny 19mm inner width rims. 2.4” width tires, even though that what comes with the bike, was as high as I was comfortable going, even though 2.6” might work with the fork and frame clearances.

Just checking to see if the Maxxis tires worked out for you.
I went thru a small patch of thorns and next morning 2 flats.
I located the thorns in the tires and saw no visible puncture signs on the inside of the tire.
So, wondering if you encountered any clearance issues ft/rear as I don't want to have to worry about such small thorns.
Hope all is well.

No issues but we haven’t been able to put many miles on the bike since the mods. No regrets though, don’t foresee any issues. The 2.4” DHR2 Double Downs are a very stout tire with thick sidewalks. Good luck!

Back