LITELOK : Some early user-experiences with this bikelock

elbikefun

When I purchased my Stromer e-bike some weeks ago; I also began looking for good bike-locks to secure my investment. I was looking for locks which had best compromize of security and user-friendly attributes, like low weight and ease of use.
I excluded "U"-locks; even though the security these provide are first rate. Reason being its lack of flexibility.

With the bike, I bought aTrelock FS 500 Toro. This together witih the ABUS Bordo Granit X plus 6500; I believe are among the very best bikelocks.

How ever, I by accident found information about a kickstarter project named "LITELOK".
The LITELOK were by the time I read about it, a reality & in production.

The LITELOK; is a bikelock which "on paper"; had qualities I was looking for:
Its low weight, made of flexible materials and have "Sold secure"-rating "Bicycle gold 2015".

Have a look at the manufacturers homepage:
Screenshot_2016-07-15-00-10-31-1.png
litelok.com

I liked what I read about it; and ordered a set of two locks;which shared same key. Reason for ordering two locks; was the possibility to secure the bike on two different places or join the two locks togehter; to get one lock with extra lenght.

My experiences from about a week of use are all good. The lock may be locked without a key inserted; which is positive. The flex in the cord makes it easier to use when locking the bike to a object. Using two locks attached to eachother; makes it really convinient;locking to a bigger object; like a small tree, etc. Because of the tention in the cord; some force must be used to pushe the two ends in level;when opening or locking it. But I did not really see this as a problem.
As the bike is a expensive one; and practically brand new; I am kind of "nevrotic" in avoiding scraches on the bike. The surface of the two ends of the lock;has a rubber-lair. The surface of the lock it self; is kind of "soft"& "scratch"-resistant. So as long as am careful when using the lock; i feel relaxed about the "scratch"-issue.
There are included two straps for each lock; to attach the lock to the bike during transport. I do not want to use these on my bike; and dont find this solution optimal. So far; I have transported the locks in a backpack, or on short trips to the store; used it as a "neckless" ;-). I think Iwill find a carrier-mounted case of some sort; which also may contain a lock or two.

I feel very positive about this bikelock; as you might have understood. So want to be very straight on this:I have absolutely no commercial interests in this lock, other than thinking it is a good product !

I just pray that I will avoid having a "reality-qualitycheck" in form of a theft. But the certification by "Sold secure" is supposed to be creditable. So I have choosed to override my sceptics to other than the conventional "U"-locks and the slightly less impractical foldling locks.

I will follow up this thread by posting any new positive or negative experiences I might have in time to come.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information on this lock. I just ordered a nice bike and have yet to get a lock. I am still in the reviewing stage. Can I ask you where you purchased it? Thanks

Glad to assist :)

Litelok being a (for me) unknown brand; and a kickstarter-project; made me do as extensive websearches I could. The "Sold secure"-rating was a important factor.
I believe litelok is a new kind of product; "thinking outside the box".
The existing paradigm of "more weight and ticker steel" is the only solution is challenged with this lock.
In the end; even the best of locks wonˋt stand more than a few minutes literally; when the "right" tools are used.

Anyways; good luck with your decission-taking. Let us know what you do !

Will be interesting to see how this lock fares now that they are starting to appear out in the wild. The videos all seem to focus on how difficult it is to cut. I haven't seen any that really focus on the lock itself. We'll see how pick-proof it is once all the lock-picking youtubers get their hands on them.

Will be interesting to see how this lock fares now that they are starting to appear out in the wild. The videos all seem to focus on how difficult it is to cut. I haven't seen any that really focus on the lock itself. We'll see how pick-proof it is once all the lock-picking youtubers get their hands on them.

The developer& manufacturer of the lock-system of the litelok; is the UK manufacturer of locks; Henry Squire (see webpage: squirelocks.co.uk). This is lock-manufacturer with good reputation. So eventhough that this in its own right does not document the security of this particular lock; I am not stressed out about it being a easy-picked lock.

I would love to see /read more about this subject myself. The trouble is; that the litelok not is a mass-produced unit at this stage. From what I read; they are making connections with distribitours around europe/world these days, so it will be a retail-item in time. So for some time; this lock will be somewhat a "enthusiast"-product.

elbikefun thanks for your review... litelok looks great. I have the Abus but find it sometimes a pain to deal with if the locking location isn't optimal etc. I like the idea of being able to put two to them together or in separate locations on the bike and like you said around myself for a quick run to the store etc.

Please let me know if you come up with a better mounting system... that's the only negative I can see right now. It will most likely just stay in my back pack.

I have something in mind about a mounting-system. If/when I get there; I will post about it.
As now, I bring the lock in a backpack as I have not trunk or side-bags.

A few days ago, I received my Ortlieb 8 liter trunk-bag. No problem fitting at least one litelok into it. I will update about it, when/ if I find a better solution.

Here's my new LiteLok :rolleyes:
VoltMariner_LiteLok.JPG
We have a pair so we can lock our bikes together or each have our own.
I was worried they may not fit around the Fat Tire, fender and bike but it does.
At least if they tried to take off with it they would need to carry it.. haha finally the weight of an ebike working in my favour! :D

Here's my new LiteLok :rolleyes:
:D
You should get a commission! I just ordered mine after you drew my attention to the product. I kinda like the flexibility of multiple ways to attach to the frame (or carry in a trunk bag). I'll try it out on my regular bike for awhile and have it on hand for the day (in the near future) that I purchase my ebike.

. I kinda like the flexibility of multiple ways to attach to the frame.

.. and thanks for @elbikefun for posting.. that's how we came to find this product as well. :)

Just a heads up it is fairly stiff opening and closing(I think also mentioned above).. I usually include a knee in the bending/closing or opening and it is still new to me. The lock really wants to lay flat. Seems more sturdy-r/stiffer/heavier than I was expecting. It is a lock after all, so not bad qualities, just different than imagined. The only part I might wonder could be it's week point would be the locking mechanism inside... but it would be tricky to get to. In the end no lock is unbreakable and it is better than no lock and fits around fat tires yay!

Cnugget and Over50: Good luck with your locks !
I hope you will be happy with`em, as I am :)
Thanks for the tip on the cool lock - it looks like an improvement over what I am currently carrying. Might take awhile to get here as I just ordered yesterday and I guess they ship from the UK.

Congratulations.

I hope you like it. Please share your experience after its arrival :)

Mine is working great! Stiffness and weight of the lock were a bit surprising but now I'm used to it. I leave the lock attached to a post in our garage at work so I don't have to carry it.

I ordered a pair of Liteloks last weekend. I emailed them yesterday to ask about delivery. They don't say this on the website, but the locks are sold out, back ordered. Some parts just arrived and they will assemble more locks soon.
Wow! You're right, they don't say that. I probably wouldn't have wondered about it for a couple of weeks or so given they are UK. Oh well, I wasn't in a big hurry to get it. Thanks for the info!

They were back ordered when we purchased but I did read that before buying. Took about a month-ish to receive. :)

Back