Limited battery randomly pops loose, and HOW do I turn the battery OFF?

Carol K

I received my Ride1up Limited Step thru on Monday. I assembled it. My bike shop mechanic double-checked my work. The problem is, after riding a block or two, the battery pops loose and the bike shuts down. There is no relation to how bumpy the riding surface is. The battery appears flush, fully seated, and locked. Doesn’t matter. Pops loose over and over. I followed the tips on Ride1up’s website-check and tighten screws, oil the latch mechanism. Does NOT help. I have contacted them for help, but have not heard back yet. Right now, have a band around it to hold it in. Not a good look, but right now it “works.” Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?
Second battery question. How do you turn the battery OFF?? After I end my ride, I turn off the display and then press the button on the battery, thinking that would turn it off, like most bikes. However, this battery is still powered. I am not a noob to ebikes, but new to this brand. Any constructive help with these battery issues will be appreciated.

my wife's core5 had the battery pop problem. loose screws was the prob, tightening was the solution. try it again.
I will. Did you unscrew and re-tighten all screws on the battery and the upper and lower plates on the top and bottom of the battery compartment? I did so on the battery, but not in the battery compartment because those plates look flush. I am willing to try anything that might help. I really like this bike a lot, but the battery constantly popping loose and cutting off power is annoying, to say the least.

See:
and

Last edited:
Issue with loose battery has been resolved! Customer service at Ride1up is very good. They responded promptly with a couple of things to try, and it worked. Went on a 22 mile ride on bumpy paved and gravel roads and the battery STAYED LOCKED IN PLACE the entire time! Think I am going to love this bike-really like the torque sensor much better than cadence sensors on other bikes I have ridden.

Issue with loose battery has been resolved! Customer service at Ride1up is very good. They responded promptly with a couple of things to try, and it worked.
Very odd. You say they told you two things to try and that it worked, yet you didn't give ANY specific feedback about what they told you or what you think fixed it after the community here tried to help you. Did they tell you anything different than was provided here or in the links provided? I'm guessing you just needed to tighten the screws as was suggested here.

Not all cadence sensor bikes are the same - not by a long shot. Some use some unfavorable power assist features with different speed limit cut offs for each assist levels, while some are power based, some can be customized per assist level, etc.

as i said above, my wife called them when it happened to hers, and they told her to check the screws. she then told me to check them and tighten them, i did 👍 , and 5 months later, it's still fixed. several of the screws in the bat compartment were loose. it was evidently a common problem.

I was responding to @Carol K in that last post. We had already told them and had given links regarding the screws and other things, but they gave Ride1Up credit for "couple things" they told them as if the suggestions here didn't work.

4FA85A33-956F-49DB-A75C-FACA9359D9B4.png

Ok. These are the two additional things I did, as suggested by the Ride1up CS person.
Previously, I had loosened and re-tightened ALL screws on the battery and in the battery compartment.
That did nothing. I also oiled and worked the release mechanism-that did nothing. The battery was STILL popping loose. The above suggestions came from Ride1up. I was unable to pull out the two silver pins
as shown in the first picture. He did say the springs were sometimes very tight. So, I WD-40’d them and
worked that in. Now the pins had some “give” to them, where previously they did not. I decided to try
the second suggestion as well, which was to put a spacer behind the plate on the battery as shown in the
second picture. Popped the battery back in, went for my 20 mile, bumpy test ride, and FINALLY the
battery stayed locked in place.

Take it to your dealer to adjust it under warranty.
You, obviously don't own an R1U. These bikes are mail-ordered and ship to the customers from Nevada, where containerloads were shipped to from China.
She asked for constructive help. Maybe you can provide an address for us?

Fn'F

Back