Light power port for Giant e-bikes

RichardL

I guess I'm a bit confused why Giant does not offer a pre-installed fused power port to handle lighting. So far it seems everyone is hacking their bikes to have a light power plug-in location and that does not make sense on something we paid so many $$$ for. Any ideas?

I guess I'm a bit confused why Giant does not offer a pre-installed fused power port to handle lighting. So far it seems everyone is hacking their bikes to have a light power plug-in location and that does not make sense on something we paid so many $$$ for. Any ideas?
I’ll assume that the light connection is in a harness only accessible when the motor cover is removed. I’ve been using an orp light and horn. Using the micro to micro plug, I charge off the controller if necessary.

i don't think our bikes are 'there' quite yet in terms of development and feeling out what the market truly is. they do have the connection we discussed, but it would require a proprietary crimper (not uncommon for a manufacturer to do) to make the connection properly. or just get a generic and do it (mostly) right. if i can do it, damn near anyone can...

There are outputs on the non drive side of the motor. Simply purchase a correct light for the system and the correct Yamaha wire harness and all you need to do is connect the “+” and “-“ wires and you’re good to go. If you are looking at a low output headlight (under 300 lumens) I would suggest sticking with a good quality removable light with a recharagable battery. It will be less expensive and offer you better illumination.

regards,

Will
Shop.scooteretti.com

So Will - Are you suggesting I head down to the nearest Yamaha electric bike dealer and see what will match up for the Giant wiring harness?

You can see if your local Giant / Yamaha dealer has a harness or you can order one off our website as well if that's easier for you. Here is the link: https://shop.scooteretti.com/collections/yamaha-ebike-parts/products/yamaha-ebike-light-cable

regards,

Will

shop.scooteretti.com

will, have you installed that particular cable on a giant road-e? reason i ask is the one i ordered from bike components whose part number is d2297 is the same as:

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=568

which looks the same as the one you linked to. i ended up not using it b/c it was female when i needed male.

@RichardL, this is essentially what i made. if you care, message me with your address and i'll ship you the parts if you want to make it yourself. you would just need a generic crimper like the one i used here:

https://www.frys.com/product/1922790

-drew

How 'bout for a Giant Explore+ 3?
My dealer didn't know offhand how to connect a light so it would work with the controller switch - it does have a button for a headlamp but no lamp on the bike.

will, have you installed that particular cable on a giant road-e? reason i ask is the one i ordered from bike components whose part number is d2297 is the same as:

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=568

which looks the same as the one you linked to. i ended up not using it b/c it was female when i needed male.

@RichardL, this is essentially what i made. if you care, message me with your address and i'll ship you the parts if you want to make it yourself. you would just need a generic crimper like the one i used here:

https://www.frys.com/product/1922790

-drew

On the Giant bikes many of the models have a cable pre-wired in them that will allow you to use their light/connector cable. The Yamaha cable we sell will plug right into the side of the drive unit eliminating a connection hence you can just remove their cable. I am a big fan of having the least amount of connections as possible especially if the bike will be used in wet / winter /high corrosion (near the ocean) type of environments.

There are outputs on the non drive side of the motor. Simply purchase a correct light for the system and the correct Yamaha wire harness and all you need to do is connect the “+” and “-“ wires and you’re good to go. If you are looking at a low output headlight (under 300 lumens) I would suggest sticking with a good quality removable light with a recharagable battery. It will be less expensive and offer you better illumination.

regards,

Will
Shop.scooteretti.com

Do you have a recommendation for a 300lumen usb light set? There are a bazillion of them on amazon.
Or even a recommended brand? Too much junk out there.

Last edited:
@Browneye I agree with there being lots of options out there. In our shop, we carry both the Supernova and the Lupine brands for the higher end lights and typically Busch & Muller for our mid-priced urban lights. I personally use Lupine of my Mountain bikes and Supernova for my touring / commuter bikes.

hope this helps,

Will

Both of those are $$$$!
$400 for a light bulb?? 🤣

Anything US based? Or does England only have the hoop-doop lites??

I like Trek's offerings .
And their customer service is the best .
I use these for daylight running , don't ride at night .
These have gotten lots of good press and my experience using them is positive .
Also they work with one of Trek's helmets and one of their saddles .

1571703666229.png

On the Giant bikes many of the models have a cable pre-wired in them that will allow you to use their light/connector cable. The Yamaha cable we sell will plug right into the side of the drive unit eliminating a connection hence you can just remove their cable. I am a big fan of having the least amount of connections as possible especially if the bike will be used in wet / winter /high corrosion (near the ocean) type of environments.

Is that plug something you make or do they come from Yamaha?
What is the voltage output from the motor connection? So what voltage lighting to look for?

And if you plug in there does the switch on the bar-controller turn it on and off?

Has anyone done something for a usb charge port for smartphone? If you're going to use the app and google maps you probly want a connection.

Maybe a small lipo brick would fit in the battery case - use it for a phone power source. I have a few of those around.

Nice shop BTW. 👍

Last edited:
Is that plug something you make or do they come from Yamaha?
What is the voltage output from the motor connection? So what voltage lighting to look for?

And if you plug in there does the switch on the bar-controller turn it on and off?

Has anyone done something for a usb charge port for smartphone? If you're going to use the app and google maps you probly want a connection.

Maybe a small lipo brick would fit in the battery case - use it for a phone power source. I have a few of those around.

Nice shop BTW. 👍

In my Giant Fathom E+ 2 pro which comes with no lights pre assembled the motor came with the female connection already in place, so you can just buy either a premade cable, or just buy the male connection and do it yourself, I did it myself, so I bought these (10 units in this case but you only need 2) https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/swpt-001t-p0.25/raster-signal-connectors-2-00mm/jst/# along with 1 of these https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/02t-jwpf-vsle-s/raster-signal-connectors-2-00mm/jst/, and joined that to this https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07QGJY9KQ/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_1 where one of those goes to the front light and the other to the back light, which are https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00G49RGJE/ref=pe_3310721_189395781_TE_SCE_dp_1 https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00GHN0VQW/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_2 measured them in my electronic power supply and at 6v they consume about 1.2w average, with an initial peak of a bit over 2w which I assume is because it is charging the capacitor that keeps the lights on even after the power supply has been cut.

The voltage output for the lights is 6v, you should check if the light works because most bike lights are for dynamos, in the case of the back light I bought it works fine despite being for a dynamo because they kind of "cheaped out" and aren't converting from AC to DC, they seem to merely be ignoring half of the AC wave likely with the capacitor itself, have no doubt there will be more lights that will do this too.

Be however careful that apparently the power limit on the PW-X motor from yamaha for the lights is 9w, so when added together all the lights that you buy should be below that.

After you wire the lights to the right plug the bar button for the lights works just fine to turn them on and off.

Haven't done it to charge a smartphone, but the light output could work, you would need to step down from 6v to 5v, either by using a switching voltage regulator or a linear regulator (preferably a switching regulator), but given the yamaha power limits you wouldn't be getting that powerful of a charger, not to mention it would only charge if you activated the lights.
The way to do it properly would likely be to make a T connection out of the main battery power delivery cable, for which the connection at least in my bike looks like this pass it through a fuse, then to a switching voltage regulator down to 5v, which would then charge what ever device connects to it at 5v, you would ofc need space to put these things, but bikes with the semi integrated side/top mounted battery seem to have a good bit of space, and for the bottom fully integrated batteries like my fathom e+2 pro there is space for the fuse and switching regulator after the battery lock.

Good stuff @Micael -
I've never heard of 'dynamo' lights till I came here, I guess it's a European thing. Found this and learned a bit about them:

So the output from the motor connector is 6v 9w - that's 1500mah - not much but should be enough to run some bright enough LED's.
Is the use of dynamo lights simply for availability? Over here in US we have plenty of DC lighting to choose from. We don't need a capacitor to maintain the light after disconnecting power since it's run off the motor/battery - or does it only output power when it's running? My assumption is the feed is live as soon as power is applied to the motor. In other words, it's not a generator, it's a power connection from the controller. Not real clear on this.

For example, here's a 2-18v bike light, the 500 lumen one draws .6ah at max, which would be 7.2 watts at 12v. Now I wonder what the lumens output would be at 6v:

Back