Light folding ebike for a small female

Kathy Smith

Hi,

I've had an A2B Edge bike since April 2013 and it just gave up a week ago. No one wants to fix the bike as they claim they can't get the parts any more and they wouldn't know what really broke. I was happy with the bike but would have liked to have it be a bit lighter as I had to carry it daily up and down the stairs every day in a narrow staircase and it was challenging. I'd like to get a new bike and I could just pick up it's successor the Kuo or Kuo+ but it would be fun to try something new and perhaps better. I don't mind spending more money if I'm getting something better but I don't want to spend more than $3500. I've checked all the bikes I could find on this website and I couldn't find a single bike that would fit my criteria. I don't think I'm that demanding but I'm surprised that I can't find the following:
Less than 40lb
folding
20" wheels
throttle
speed at least 15miles/hr
looks like a normal bike (GoCycle for example is too weird looking and would draw attention).
and not as important but would be nice to have belt drive rather than chain as on my old bike the chain would fall off quite often.
Now, I did find a few bikes that sort of fit my criteria but they are just advertised and ready to preorder or Kickstarter projects but none really in existence today.
Is anyone aware of a bike that fits my criteria?

Last edited:
Hi,

I've had an A2B Edge bike since April 2013 and it just gave up a week ago. No one wants to fix the bike as they claim they can't get the parts any more and they wouldn't know what really broke. I was happy with the bike but would have liked to have it be a bit lighter as I had to carry it daily up and down the stairs every day in a narrow staircase and it was challenging. I'd like to get a new bike and I could just pick up it's successor the Kuo or Kuo+ but it would be fun to try something new and perhaps better. I don't mind spending more money if I'm getting something better but I don't want to spend more than $3500. I've checked all the bikes I could find on this website and I couldn't find a single bike that would fit my criteria. I don't think I'm that demanding but I'm surprised that I can't find the following:
Less than 40lb
folding
20" wheels
throttle
speed at least 15miles/hr
looks like a normal bike (GoCycle for example is too weird looking and would draw attention).
and not as important but would be nice to have belt drive rather than chain as on my old bike the chain would fall off quite often.
Now, I did find a few bikes that sort of fit my criteria but they are just advertised and ready to preorder or Kickstarter projects but none really in existence today.
Is anyone aware of a bike that fits my criteria?

Lunacycle has one
https://lunacycle.com/luna-mini-folding-ebike/

but if you are someone who needs help with maintenance, perhaps talk to your LBS and see if they can help you down the road.

If you are someone who needs help with maintenance, perhaps talk to your LBS and see if they can help you down the road.
Thanks, I was just looking at it. Someone mentioned it here. Yes, that fits my requirements. Let's see if there is anything else out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltbike Urban?
http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-urban.html

I've never seen either the Luna or the Urban. I do own a pair of electric folders ...home built. I'm sure that the Luna will blow your socks off. I have the same motor in a 26" bike. Very strong motor. I also have the same battery. Might be a bit heavy to carry in a seat bag. Maybe he has a better bag. Mine sag on their straps, so I put that battery on the luggage racks on my bikes.

I think the front suspension on the Urban is nice. Those 20" wheels transmit all the bumps. Also priced nice, except they don't have any. The battery is both a plus and and minus. It is hidden, but you'll have to work with Voltbike to replace it.

Voltbike Urban?
http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-urban.html

I've never seen either the Luna or the Urban. I do own a pair of electric folders ...home built. I'm sure that the Luna will blow your socks off. I have the same motor in a 26" bike. Very strong motor. I also have the same battery. Might be a bit heavy to carry in a seat bag. Maybe he has a better bag. Mine sag on their straps, so I put that battery on the luggage racks on my bikes.

I think the front suspension on the Urban is nice. Those 20" wheels transmit all the bumps. Also priced nice, except they don't have any. The battery is both a plus and and minus. It is hidden, but you'll have to work with Voltbike to replace it.

thanks but the Voltbike Urban weights 52 lbs. Way too heavy for me.

The Epic is more like it at 42 pounds. Sounds legit, but you should verify that it's not a marketing claim.

My lighter folder w/o suspension is 36 pounds. The other which has front/back suspension is is about 42 pounds. Batteries included.

https://electricbikereview.com/e-joe/epik-se/

Current model:

E-joe Epic SE 2017

Specifications
Motor: 350W Rated with 550W Peak Rear Brushless geared hub motor
Battery: 36V 13Ah LG 18650 cells Lithium Ion
Range: up to 55 miles (depending on terrains and rider’s weight)
Recharging Time: about 4 hours (at low battery)
LED Display: On/OFF Power, Battery Level, Pedal Assist Level, Throttle/PAS Mode Switch
Electric Assist Modes: 3 Level Pedal Assist, Thumb Throttle Control
Frame: 6061 Aluminum Alloy Frame Foldable Design
Tires: 20” x 1.75” Kenda Puncture-Resistant Street Tire
Seat: Selle Royal Hertz Trekking Saddle
Brakes: Front/Rear: Zoom 160 mm Disc Brake
Transmission: 7-speed Shimano Tourney TX-55
Accessories: Front/Rear Fenders, Rear Rack, Magnet Clip, Folding Bag (optional), Front/Rear Lights
Gross Weight: 62LBS
Net Weight: 42LBS
Box dimension: 35 x 18 x 27 inches
Load Capacity: 300LBS

Colors: Frosty White, Black Matte, BubbleGum Pink and Sky Blue

Dimensions when Folded: 35 x 24 x 17 inches

MSRP $1599

Thank you but I need something under 4olbs

So far Luna Mini is the only bike that sort of fits my criteria. I don't like the way it looks. It has too many stickers etc. Screams fancy bike. I wish it was just clean with0ut all these labels. Fenders would also be nice as that's what I didn't like about my old bike and Luna Mini doesn't have fenders either but I can live without them, I guess.

I narrowed down to 3 bikes, which I can buy now. I'm having a hard time deciding between these three:
1. SAVADECK Z8 (https://www.amazon.com/SAVADECK-Electric-Pedal-assist-Foldable-Removable/dp/B073PSMQQT)
2. Luna Mini (https://lunacycle.com/luna-mini-folding-ebike/)
3. Evelo Quest (https://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/quest/)

The Savadeck Z8 is the lightest 30.7lb and the best looking but it has no throttle and not fenders, 200w, mid drive, chain, builtin battery. $2500 free return with no shipping cost via Amazon within 30days
The Luna Mini is the cheapest but overpowered 700w (which I don't need) and is the ugliest, no fenders, throttle, mid drive, chain, removable battery, 38.5lb. $1620 with shipping, no return if I use the bike.
Evelo Quest looks nice, comes with fenders, bike rack, 250w, throttle, builtin battery, no chain but belt instead (Gates Carbon Drive), brushless Rear Hub Motor, 38lb, $1799, 10 day free return

If Savadeck came with a throttle I would just get it but it doesn't.
Again, I had A2B Edge 200w and never felt it was underpowered. I weigh 100lbs, add 5lbs in case I gain weight. I don't drive in a hilly area, there are some slopes here and there on my daily commute. Do I need 700w motor? I'm used to rear hub motor but is mid drive better? I mean, will I notice a difference in my ride? I understand it's easier to replace tires etc but how different would it be while riding?

Any help you guys can provide in narrowing this down further would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

I have a BBS02 in a 26" frame and also our two folders with rear motors. The BBS02 doesn't change the feel of the bike, It will pedal just like normal with power off. It will make pedaling too easy with power on, so if you get one, set it to 9 level pedal assist and you will be able to rider slower and still get some exercise. It's very strong and very quiet. Luna allows you to set zero assist and only use the throttle as needed. This is the best way to get exercise. Luna doesn't show what happens to the battery when their bike is folded. It weighs about six pounds and comes in a bag about 5x6 inches, so something has to be done with it. I have that battery but I feel it's more secure on my bike rack than under the seat.

Mid drive is better if you will upshift/downshift. After all, a motor doesn't like slogging up a hill in the wrong gear any better than we do. Follow good practice and don't shift under power. The drive train will thank you and if you go with Luna, you won't need the $50 gear sensor on the Luna bike. guess you do need fenders. They can be added later. Probably a hundred bucks at bike shop because the bare fenders I need for mine are $60.

Evelo has been selling ebikes for years, but with only one gear, it might not be a good performer if you ever encounter hills or run out of battery. Also may not be be a good fit if you like pedaling, You'll have to use the gear they gave you and ride at the speed that fits it. Belt is nice, as long as it doesn't break.

In my opinion, you will be a beta tester for the Savadeck. They seem to be a new importer out of China, it appears. Looks nice. Will the hinges work and not flex or squeak? They use a chinese motor of unknown reputation too. Will they fold their tents and go home if the sales don't happen?

I wouldn't get the Evelo because of only one gear. I wouldn't get Savadeck until they have a US customer base. The Luna is for power mongers and I don't need 25 mph capability on a folder, but I think it's the better all around choice. None of these have front suspensions though, but they do seem to have thicker tires.

I have a BBS02 in a 26" frame and also our two folders with rear motors. The BBS02 doesn't change the feel of the bike, It will pedal just like normal with power off. It will make pedaling too easy with power on, so if you get one, set it to 9 level pedal assist and you will be able to rider slower and still get some exercise. It's very strong and very quiet. Luna allows you to set zero assist and only use the throttle as needed. This is the best way to get exercise. Luna doesn't show what happens to the battery when their bike is folded. It weighs about six pounds and comes in a bag about 5x6 inches, so something has to be done with it. I have that battery but I feel it's more secure on my bike rack than under the seat.

Mid drive is better if you will upshift/downshift. After all, a motor doesn't like slogging up a hill in the wrong gear any better than we do. Follow good practice and don't shift under power. The drive train will thank you and if you go with Luna, you won't need the $50 gear sensor on the Luna bike. guess you do need fenders. They can be added later. Probably a hundred bucks at bike shop because the bare fenders I need for mine are $60.

Evelo has been selling ebikes for years, but with only one gear, it might not be a good performer if you ever encounter hills or run out of battery. Also may not be be a good fit if you like pedaling, You'll have to use the gear they gave you and ride at the speed that fits it. Belt is nice, as long as it doesn't break.

In my opinion, you will be a beta tester for the Savadeck. They seem to be a new importer out of China, it appears. Looks nice. Will the hinges work and not flex or squeak? They use a chinese motor of unknown reputation too. Will they fold their tents and go home if the sales don't happen?

I wouldn't get the Evelo because of only one gear. I wouldn't get Savadeck until they have a US customer base. The Luna is for power mongers and I don't need 25 mph capability on a folder, but I think it's the better all around choice. None of these have front suspensions though, but they do seem to have thicker tires.
Thank you for your response. I eliminated SAVA because it doesn't have a throttle and I really really like having it. Funny you would mention not getting the Evelo because of only one gear but I have never switched gears on my A2B ebike. I grew up on a bike with just one gear and then bought an ebike with gears and I found them useless. I used my ebike in just one gear and going uphills still used the highest gear (not very high hills, just some inclines) and when I ran out of power I would still keep the highest gear but I only ran out of power maybe twice or three times in the 5 years I had the bike, so I don't think I would miss not having it.
Also, I talked to Luna Cycles and they said it was not possible to add fenders to Luna Mini as the bike wouldn't fold with the fenders.

Last edited:
OK. We all have our riding styles. My wife never shifts hears either althoughshe learned to drive on a 4 speed Ford. A hub motor may fit you better, and my thinking is a geared unit is good for non-shifting. However, the small wheel on a 20" is like a lower gear too. Limits top speed, but easier for starts and hills.

The US laws, such as they are, and restrictive Euro policy on throttles have made it difficult for main stream bike makers to build models that can be sold in either market, so we do see more throttle-less ebikes here.

If you remove the battery on some of the heavier bikes, they might meet your weight limits for carrying upstairs. Keep looking.

I've been mulling over a Tern Vektron myself which doesn't meet a lot of your criteria but seems from the specs to be a better equipped bike. I've also checked out similar bikes as you aswell and would be interested to see what bike you finally end up with since I still haven't fully decided myself. I've checked out the luna mini and I like it even if it does have the "racier" look but like you reported not being able to put fenders on it stinks! I've also checked into the Evelo Quest but I got to say I was completely turned off by their website. I'm use to websites giving a bit too much information about a bike but for the life of me I could hardly find any specifications about the Quest on their website. It doesn't even tell you the most basic of facts like the wheel size! I own a Brompton which I'm completely spoiled by it's fold size and weight even though it at 25lbs is still a chunky monkey. I too wish to find something a bit bigger and built well.

Last edited:
What about the Sondors Fold? Did you see that? for the money you cant go wrong with Sondors Fold or the Luna Folder. If you don't like high power the Sondors fold is best option.

OK. We all have our riding styles. My wife never shifts hears either althoughshe learned to drive on a 4 speed Ford. A hub motor may fit you better, and my thinking is a geared unit is good for non-shifting. However, the small wheel on a 20" is like a lower gear too. Limits top speed, but easier for starts and hills.

The US laws, such as they are, and restrictive Euro policy on throttles have made it difficult for main stream bike makers to build models that can be sold in either market, so we do see more throttle-less ebikes here.

If you remove the battery on some of the heavier bikes, they might meet your weight limits for carrying upstairs. Keep looking.
Yes, I'll keep looking...

I've been mulling over a Tern Vektron myself which doesn't meet a lot of your criteria but seems from the specs to be a better equipped bike. I've also checked out similar bikes as you aswell and would be interested to see what bike you finally end up with since I still haven't fully decided myself. I've checked out the luna mini and I like it even if it does have the "racier" look but like you reported not being able to put fenders on it stinks! I've also checked into the Evelo Quest but I got to say I was completely turned off by their website. I'm use to websites giving a bit too much information about a bike but for the life of me I could hardly find any specifications about the Quest on their website. It doesn't even tell you the most basic of facts like the wheel size! I own a Brompton which I'm completely spoiled by it's fold size and weight even though it at 25lbs is still a chunky monkey. I too wish to find something a bit bigger and built well.
The specs are on the bottom of the page, you need to click Specs Details and you get this:
  • Motor
    Bafang 250W Brushless Rear Hub Motor, Variable Pedal Assist and Throttle Control

• Battery
    Samsung 36V 10.2Ah with micro USB Charge Port

• Charger
    36V 2A Charger

• Maximum Motor-Assisted Speed
    20 Miles Per Hour

• Range
    Estimated 40 Miles on Pedal-Assist

• Electric Assist
    Multiple levels, plus electric-only (via throttle)

• Frame
    Lightweight Aircraft Grade Aluminum Frame

• Fork
    Chromoly Fork, Fender-Compatible

• Wheel
    20” Alloy Rims
  • Brakes
    Tektro Disc Brakes, 160mm Rotors

• Seat Post
    33.9mm 575mm Length

• Stem
    Quick Folding Stem

• Drivetrain
    Gates, 70T, 20T Rear Cog, Gates Carbon Belt Drive

• Pedals
    Wellgo 9/16” Folding

• Display Panel
    Multi-color 3.2” IPS Screen, 14 Function Display

• Add-ons
    Front and Rear Fenders, Front and Rear Lights Hard-Wired to Battery, Rear Cargo Rack, Bell, Kickstand

• Bicycle Weight
    38 lbs with Integrated Battery

What about the Sondors Fold? Did you see that? for the money you cant go wrong with Sondors Fold or the Luna Folder. If you don't like high power the Sondors fold is best option.
Sondors fold is WAY TOO heavy. And I don't need fat tires.

So I thought a settled to get Luna Cycle Mini but then read this on their website:

However, mid drives come with their drawbacks. mid drives are expensive, they tend to be noisy compared to hub motor bikes, and they are complicated containing many parts that can fail, and they cause wear and tear on your pedal drive train that a hub motor will not. Also they are less intuitive to ride with since you have to ride changing gears and always must consider which gear you are in. If you do not live in a hilly region and do not plan to ride off road, or you are on a budget, a mid drive is not recommended.

Will I destroy my bike if I don't switch gears? I don't live in a hilly region (I mean there is an incline and decline here and there on my daily commute but there are no real hills) and I do not plan to ride it off road. Is this bike not suited for me? Should I not be looking at bikes with mid drives?

For a folder, the 20" wheel is like a high gear by itself. Put it in a middle gear, don't even pedal, and I don't think you will stress the motor.

But it's a bike. Use the pedals. There's no magic to shifting. If it's too hard to pedal hit one button. If it's too easy, hit the other one. These are good bikes and they should shift like toggle switches.

I still wouldn't spend the $50 on a gear sensor. Part of this is consumerism. It's a 50 cent part. I could make one if I wanted the feature. The other part is that it's not perfect at not crashing the fears, whereas good riding habits are infallible.

For a folder, the 20" wheel is like a high gear by itself. Put it in a middle gear, don't even pedal, and I don't think you will stress the motor.

But it's a bike. Use the pedals. There's no magic to shifting. If it's too hard to pedal hit one button. If it's too easy, hit the other one. These are good bikes and they should shift like toggle switches.

I still wouldn't spend the $50 on a gear sensor. Part of this is consumerism. It's a 50 cent part. I could make one if I wanted the feature. The other part is that it's not perfect at not crashing the fears, whereas good riding habits are infallible.
I know how to shift gears I just don't like to do that and I'm mostly on a flat terrain. What's the gear sensor for? Never had one before.

Back