Life with partly degraded batteries. Idiosyncrasies of chargers.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Batteries

The Battery #1 (nominally 604 Wh) originally came with my Vado 5.0 made in 2017 (which I bought on November 1st, 2019). It seems that the battery had not been charged before, was "hibernated" and has served me surprisingly well since. I bought a new spare Battery #2 a couple of months later. To my surprise, the "newer" battery has been in worse shape than the first one since the beginning! I also bought a second charger with the spare battery.

Let me describe the status of both batteries as for February 17th, 2022, after approximately 11,000 km (6,836 mi) ridden with both batteries regularly rotated. (The batteries as diagnosed by the BLEvo app).

Battery #1.jpg

Battery #1.
The only important data here is the actual battery capacity, which is now 558 Wh. (Neither the number of recharges or "Health" figure can be totally trusted because of historical reasons).

Battery #2.jpg

Battery #2. Although that battery was bought later, its full charge is only 502 Wh now!

Note: Mission Control will never tell you the truth: It seems that the Battery Health is always at 100% there!

The bottom line: I totally accept the fact Li-Ion batteries do degrade with intensive use. For me, the batteries are to be used, or I would ride nowhere if I saved them. One has to be aware the batteries will deliver less and less juice over time (and these are not cheap). Now, I own the third "hibernated" battery, and will wake it up when the Spring finally comes here!

Strange behaviour of chargers

When I have charged both batteries fully, I briefly remove the plugs from the batteries' sockets, and then I re-insert the plugs. Surprise! Batteries start charging again! I guess it is about "cell balancing" or so.

Why do I say at least one of the chargers behaves strangely? It is because it never starts balancing of the cells, even if the battery is not at 100%! The charger #1 always helps re-charging the batteries to 100% but the #2 does not!

See the charge of both batteries above. The Battery #1 was recharged with the Charger #1. It offers 552 Wh of 558 available. However, the Battery #2 got only charged to 95%! With its low current capacity of 502 Wh, it only held 476 Wh of the charge! Now, fancy I were to set off for a very long ride with the batteries not fully charged...

As I have identified Chargers #1 and #2, now I always force the Battery #2 to be fully charged with the Charger #1.
-------------
Who wants to chime in now?

Satiator!
Disregarding the fact I won't jeopardise my three US$1,200 batteries with a non-brand charger (I need to charge as many as three U1-600 batteries not one), and another fact that Satiator wouldn't work with the SL main battery or as many as three SL Range Extenders...

...Prithee, what would I gain with a Satiator?

Well Stefan, you’ve never bothered to read the specifications and abilities of the Satiator. And one of the worlds brightest eBike motor/controller/display designers and engineers sure wouldn’t trash his busi and reputation by frocking over your batteries. I have seen batteries improve with very long charge cycles with very low amp settings. But what do I know...

but actually I posted duck and cover to maybe lighten you up. ;)

But what do I know...
Indeed. Please list any Specialized e-bikes you own.

Tom, you seem not to listen. I own three batteries for a full power e-bike. Each of them charges from 5..100% in 4 hrs 20 mins. I own a 320 Wh battery inside another e-bike (Satiator cannot handle SL). That battery is to be charged for 2 hrs 30 mins if charged standalone. I own as many as three 160 Wh SL Range Extender batteries. Each needs 3 hrs 20 mins to charge from 5..100%.

I don't intend to sacrifice my life to the subject of charging batteries with the Satiator, unless they build something as lightweight as not to exceed the weight of two Specialized 36 V/4 A and one 48V charger (the latter with intelligent SL Y-Cable). And will provide about 7 output cables.

When I return from any ride, the first thing is to connect the chargers to the batteries, then do anything else. When I am on a vacation, I do not need to carry the Satiator with me.

but actually I posted duck and cover to maybe lighten you up. ;)
tl;dw

🤣🤣🤣
So all of those references that my bike does this and my apps tell me that is all just strokes to those that paid out the ass for proprietary (not any better) engineering
Tell us more about Mission Control 😂 and Historical reasons 🤣

Seven batteries and a single charger.
Thank you. You really helped.

Show me your Strava.

Back