Lesson learned: riding within my means

Incremental increases in distance and effort are the only sensible way to advance. Fitness doesn’t come quickly and you have to be patient, otherwise you can set yourself back or worse. I’m glad that you are not discouraged.

I was a fairly hard core cyclist until fourteen years ago when a motorcycle accident changed everything. I was back on a bike before I was off crutches. I had to ride without going out of saddle and I could only ride about 12 miles at a time, but coming from a wheelchair and many surgeries, that seemed impossible. Fourteen months after the accident, I rode a charity century ride.

From my wheelchair, I never would have thought that to be possible. At that time my hope was that I would keep the leg, that my spine would heal and that some day I would walk my dog again. All of that seemed unlikely and very far off, but it happened because I worked hard and progressed incrementally with short, obtainable goals,

I’m not suggesting that your goal needs to be huge. I’m just saying that with effort and a sensible training routine that you can probably reach your goals, whatever they are.

I am actually a happier cyclist now that I don’t race or feel the need to beat myself. Now, it’s about enjoying the ride, the scenery and the company on the days that I am fortunate enough to have riding companions.

Enjoy the journey. Set a big goal as a distant dream, but more importantly, set short goals and achievements within reach.
Very good advice.

Good lessons learned. From my long time endurance road biking friend, learned that hydration and fuel is so so important. My legs used to cramp, start twitching, and I'd bonk and be in pain, on long rides.

Now with a 30 oz water bottle, extra water in the rear saddle pack, guu gels for every hour or so of riding, pro bars too, and electrolyte gel blocks, now rarely have that problem! Becoming more fit didn't hurt either.

Now have been able to do regular 50-60 mile rides, and some 80-90+ milers. Pushed myself to exhaustion, hypermiling with motor off or using lowest assist level as much as possible, but now exhausted rather than the pain experienced when not properly hydrated and fueled up!

This is the bike you are riding correct?

It is not designed for pedaling distance.

Does your bike travel 28 miles with throttle and pedaling on a charge?
cause if it does, throttle more, pedal less, you'll make it.
I think you could write a literature review about it on a student resource.
It looks very practical and compact. I like it!

Last edited:
Back