Leisure / commuter for the hills?

kstdennis

Hey All,

I'm looking for a first ebike to support riding up from sea level to about 2k feet. I'm up in the foothills of Los Angeles having traded flat ground for lovely mountain views a few years back. This ascent/decent is in about 5 miles from 6%- ~15% grade. I'm 6' about 210lbs, 30" inseam, been riding non ebikes for quite a while, but mostly weekend 20+ mile rides around the city. Budget is 4k-ish, of course less is better, but you get what you pay for. I'm finding stock is really limited at my LBS' and so I'm ok to go online with some self maintenance (but will eventually need direction on tune ups). I figure things will be out of stock or trickle in, for at least another 9mo or so in the US. From my inital research / analysis paralysis, I'm looking at the following bikes (in no particular order), but am mostly concerned about a bike that can keep up with a 20mile ride and the hills around me, plus weight of me, the bike, and what ever load I want to cary (groceries, laptop to work, bike kit, etc.). Thanks kindly for any feedback.

Evelo Delta X
  • $3,699
  • 750W Bafang mid-drive BBS02
  • throttle + PAS
  • 95 nm torque
  • Nuvinci N380 Continuous Variable Transmission
  • Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5 x 2.80
  • Tektro Hydraulic, 180mm rotor
  • weighs 66.2 lbs
  • additional semi-inntegrated battery
  • Cadence Sensing Pedal Assist, Trigger Throttle
  • 300+ weight cap.
  • Fork; SR Suntour XCM
  • 2yr + 4yr warranty

Juiced CrossCurrent X (CCX)
  • $2,499.00
  • 750 Watt Bafang Geared Hub Motor G060.750.DC
  • Throttle + PAS ( and "R Mode" with 30+mph top speed)
  • 80nm torque?
  • 9 Speed Shimano Cassette Drivetrain
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires 28 x 1.75
  • Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes, rotor size (180?)
  • weighs 65 lbs
  • 52 Volt, 19.2 Ah battery
  • Dual Torque and Cadence Pedal Sensors
  • 275 weight cap
  • Fork; Suntour NEX HLO 700
  • 1yr + 1yr warranty

Biktrix Juggernaught 1000 PRO (need commuter add ons)
  • $3,099.00
  • 1000w Bafang mid-drive BBSHD
  • Throttle + PAS
  • 160nm torque!
  • 11-speed SRAM-NX
  • kenda havoc 27.5 x 3 MTB wheeles
    • (would want to swap for Schwalbe Super Moto-X or Maxxis Hookworms @ ~100$?)
  • Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes, rotor 180mm (+289.00)
  • Weighs 67 lbs
  • 48v x 14.5A battery (adding a second batt +349.00)
  • torque sensor
  • weight cap?
  • Bixtrik inverted air fork
  • 1yr + lifetime warranty

Most of what I've been looking at is befang for watts, mid drive, and torque for the hills. I feel like I'm mountain biking on streets / paths. I've started looking into the new 80nm Bosche mid drive. I've looked at the Specialized Turbo Vado, which I liked, but largely isn't in stock for my size and price, and not sure 2 x me is enough above granny gear. Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro very cool, but can it do my hills? Dost Kope would be on the list, but stock is now out to april and cadence sensor only, eh. Rad bikes delivery and support seem cool, but I haven't dug too deep based on hill requirements. Oh, I really dig what the GMAC motor can do, but the Hilleater Galiano Phaserunner SE is a pre order with minimal reviews. Not sure what other bikes have the GMAC motor. The Aventon Level seems to fit the bill, but will the rear hub get me around the hills easily? At any rate, thanks for reading. Appreciate any advise or thought on my current thinking. Stay safe, be well.

Be good to talk to LA Fly Rides and Propel Long Beach about Bosch eMTB’s with the upgraded gen 4 CX motor like the Cube Nuride

Last edited:
Just done my first 10 mile ride on new Fastroad E EXPro, assist limited to 15.5mph in the UK. Did 4 miles constant on 7% ascent in just eco mode (lowest assist) without any issues at all. I’m similar build to you and the ML frame size suits me perfect. A few steeper uphill sections (12%) I moved up to basic assist (level2) again with no issues , the three higher assist levels would obviously have given me more speed if I’d wanted. the return route of my loop was mostly downhill, where I used no assistance at all, hitting 28mph at one stage (could have gone faster but single track country road) . The bike felt absolutely stable at all speeds, and the brakes (180/160mm) had no issues slowing me down when needed. Got home with 49 miles still showing on the range, so despite the smaller 375Wh battery the bike is pretty efficient , keeping my cadence around 60rpm.

Be good to talk to LA Fly Rides and Propel Long Beach about Bosch eMTB’s with the upgraded gen 4 CX motor like the Cube Nuride
Trying to make my way over to LA Fly Rides and get some on bike time. I read about the gen 4 and some opinions that it's 1k more, but well worth it. Also, Cube looks interesting, thanks!

Just done my first 10 mile ride on new Fastroad E EXPro, assist limited to 15.5mph in the UK. Did 4 miles constant on 7% ascent in just eco mode (lowest assist) without any issues at all. I’m similar build to you and the ML frame size suits me perfect. A few steeper uphill sections (12%) I moved up to basic assist (level2) again with no issues , the three higher assist levels would obviously have given me more speed if I’d wanted. the return route of my loop was mostly downhill, where I used no assistance at all, hitting 28mph at one stage (could have gone faster but single track country road) . The bike felt absolutely stable at all speeds, and the brakes (180/160mm) had no issues slowing me down when needed. Got home with 49 miles still showing on the range, so despite the smaller 375Wh battery the bike is pretty efficient , keeping my cadence around 60rpm.
Thanks for the insight into your first ride on the EXPro! That's awesome and thanks for putting it in mph terms. For your 4 miles and steeper uphill, what was your pace like? It sounds like youre enjoying the purchase. I really think there is a lot more to ebikes going on in the controller, but find the research a tad daunting.

Pace was a steady 12mph, limited by my wife who’s not a confident cyclist and not ridden for two years. Had I gone up a power assist level I think 16/17mph would have been without much effort. I know I have the power assist levels tuned lower than factory on the upper assist modes, I’d have to check whether I turned down the lower assist levels in the app.

Edit: yes I have the assistance dialled down on all levels in the app

early days but the bike felt stable at all speeds from walking pace when navigating gates and cattle grids, right up to 25+ mph

Last edited:
Pace was a steady 12mph, limited by my wife who’s not a confident cyclist and not ridden for two years. Had I gone up a power assist level I think 16/17mph would have been without much effort. I know I have the power assist levels tuned lower than factory on the upper assist modes, I’d have to check whether I turned down the lower assist levels in the app.

Edit: yes I have the assistance dialled down on all levels in the app

early days but the bike felt stable at all speeds from walking pace when navigating gates and cattle grids, right up to 25+ mph
Thanks for the insight. It sounds like you two had a lovely ride.

I called my LBS to test ride the fastroad E, they said they had one Liv (sold) in the shop that I could gander at, but otherwise it was slim pickings. I was able to head over to LA Fly Rides and test ride a Haibike sduro Trekking 4.0, a class 1 mid-drive and got a feel for the yamaha PAS motor, but they didn't have the Bulls model (I forget at the moment) or Specialized vado in house for me to test ride. I'm curious how folks get a feel for buying a bike online with the feel being so different from bike to bike.

Hey All,

I'm looking for a first ebike to support riding up from sea level to about 2k feet. I'm up in the foothills of Los Angeles having traded flat ground for lovely mountain views a few years back. This ascent/decent is in about 5 miles from 6%- ~15% grade. I'm 6' about 210lbs, 30" inseam, been riding non ebikes for quite a while, but mostly weekend 20+ mile rides around the city. Budget is 4k-ish, of course less is better, but you get what you pay for. I'm finding stock is really limited at my LBS' and so I'm ok to go online with some self maintenance (but will eventually need direction on tune ups). I figure things will be out of stock or trickle in, for at least another 9mo or so in the US. From my inital research / analysis paralysis, I'm looking at the following bikes (in no particular order), but am mostly concerned about a bike that can keep up with a 20mile ride and the hills around me, plus weight of me, the bike, and what ever load I want to cary (groceries, laptop to work, bike kit, etc.). Thanks kindly for any feedback.

Evelo Delta X
  • $3,699
  • 750W Bafang mid-drive BBS02
  • throttle + PAS
  • 95 nm torque
  • Nuvinci N380 Continuous Variable Transmission
  • Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5 x 2.80
  • Tektro Hydraulic, 180mm rotor
  • weighs 66.2 lbs
  • additional semi-inntegrated battery
  • Cadence Sensing Pedal Assist, Trigger Throttle
  • 300+ weight cap.
  • Fork; SR Suntour XCM
  • 2yr + 4yr warranty

Juiced CrossCurrent X (CCX)
  • $2,499.00
  • 750 Watt Bafang Geared Hub Motor G060.750.DC
  • Throttle + PAS ( and "R Mode" with 30+mph top speed)
  • 80nm torque?
  • 9 Speed Shimano Cassette Drivetrain
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires 28 x 1.75
  • Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes, rotor size (180?)
  • weighs 65 lbs
  • 52 Volt, 19.2 Ah battery
  • Dual Torque and Cadence Pedal Sensors
  • 275 weight cap
  • Fork; Suntour NEX HLO 700
  • 1yr + 1yr warranty

Biktrix Juggernaught 1000 PRO (need commuter add ons)
  • $3,099.00
  • 1000w Bafang mid-drive BBSHD
  • Throttle + PAS
  • 160nm torque!
  • 11-speed SRAM-NX
  • kenda havoc 27.5 x 3 MTB wheeles
    • (would want to swap for Schwalbe Super Moto-X or Maxxis Hookworms @ ~100$?)
  • Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes, rotor 180mm (+289.00)
  • Weighs 67 lbs
  • 48v x 14.5A battery (adding a second batt +349.00)
  • torque sensor
  • weight cap?
  • Bixtrik inverted air fork
  • 1yr + lifetime warranty

Most of what I've been looking at is befang for watts, mid drive, and torque for the hills. I feel like I'm mountain biking on streets / paths. I've started looking into the new 80nm Bosche mid drive. I've looked at the Specialized Turbo Vado, which I liked, but largely isn't in stock for my size and price, and not sure 2 x me is enough above granny gear. Giant Fastroad E+ EX Pro very cool, but can it do my hills? Dost Kope would be on the list, but stock is now out to april and cadence sensor only, eh. Rad bikes delivery and support seem cool, but I haven't dug too deep based on hill requirements. Oh, I really dig what the GMAC motor can do, but the Hilleater Galiano Phaserunner SE is a pre order with minimal reviews. Not sure what other bikes have the GMAC motor. The Aventon Level seems to fit the bill, but will the rear hub get me around the hills easily? At any rate, thanks for reading. Appreciate any advise or thought on my current thinking. Stay safe, be well.

If you can wait 4 months the Frey CC should be on your radar.

2000' rise in 5 miles would eliminate the Juiced CCX. Geared hub drives don't cool well, will short a turn on that run. Vendor electricbikes.com refused to sell me a Mac12 hub motor when he found out we have 15% grades in Southern Indiana. I ride one bought from someone else, but our 15% grades are rollers - 200' rise total in 30 miles. Southern California, Oregon, Rockies, residents that intend to do a fast hill climb are not suitable customers for geared hub drives. Mid drive only, however many times you have to change the chain. (I get 5000 miles/chain with geared hub motor).
Stay away from GMAC too, it is a geared hub motor with the one way clutch left out so you have to spin the motor with your feet when you pedal without power. Suitable only for watthour addicts IMHO. I pedal my geared hub motor unpowered 2/3 of the time unless the headwind is > 12 mph.

Last edited:
The Ariel Rider D Class is a AWD/Dual motor beast of a ebike that just eats hills. I would def take a look at this ebike for a climber as you can take use of the dual motors and using those you can get up to 36mph which is no slouch.

@ 2400 bucks its a great deal...

2000' rise in 5 miles would eliminate the Juiced CCX. Geared hub drives don't cool well, will short a turn on that run. Vendor electricbikes.com refused to sell me a Mac12 hub motor when he found out we have 15% grades in Southern Indiana. I ride one bought from someone else, but our 15% grades are rollers - 200' rise total in 30 miles. Southern California, Oregon, Rockies, residents that intend to do a fast hill climb are not suitable customers for geared hub drives. Mid drive only, however many times you have to change the chain. (I get 5000 miles/chain with geared hub motor).
Stay away from GMAC too, it is a geared hub motor with the one way clutch left out so you have to spin the motor with your feet when you pedal without power. Suitable only for watthour addicts IMHO. I pedal my geared hub motor unpowered 2/3 of the time unless the headwind is > 12 mph.
Good call on the CCX. I think I only need to rule out bikes from my LBS (giant, Specialized, Bulls, etc.) as those bikes get me some local business support (and support local businesses) plus save me about 10-15 lbs in some cases. I was going to say I though Indiana was relatively flat. Thanks for the notes on GMAC.

G. I was going to say I though Indiana was relatively flat.

From town to my summer camp I have 77 hills in 27 miles, then added some more and 3 more miles to stay off state hwy 3. Momentum from 1 downhill carries speed into the next uphill. Reason my motor doesn't overheat. Southern excursion of the glacier that flattened Indiana is US 50 highway through Seymour IN. Further south is eroded valleys between hills leading into the Ohio river.

From town to my summer camp I have 77 hills in 27 miles, then added some more and 3 more miles to stay off state hwy 3. Momentum from 1 downhill carries speed into the next uphill. Reason my motor doesn't overheat. Southern excursion of the glacier that flattened Indiana is US 50 highway through Seymour IN. Further south is eroded valleys between hills leading into the Ohio river.
Sounds lovely, like the rolling hills of central California. With all those lovely forests, I now picture Indiana all being rides like this, https://goo.gl/maps/YChRQo4Kn1n1zkhE6 :)

The Ariel Rider D Class is a AWD/Dual motor beast of a ebike that just eats hills. I would def take a look at this ebike for a climber as you can take use of the dual motors and using those you can get up to 36mph which is no slouch.

@ 2400 bucks its a great deal...
Lovely bike? Price has increased and they are sold out, the issue I have with styles like this, is this, some bureaucrat is going to do the research and the minibike and scooter style are going to be hit with regulations probably first, look for outright bans and license and insurance requirements( enjoy till then) you can go pretty stealthy if you do the research,I would almost bet "Area 13" has a bike that will fill your needs, this is a late reply, I found this on whats new.

Back