Lectric XP

I'm going to look into getting another folding ebike like the Qualisports Nemo or maybe even an old fashion simple and lightweight folding bike like my old Downtube Nova. It'll be fine for that last mile ride anyway. A 16" wheel diameter would probably be okay for short commutes.
I do not personally own one, but I have been eyeing the Swagtron make of folding ebikes. I don't have any sort of commute to worry about, but these bikes have intrigued me as a way to get around a city once I've arrived by car. Find a legal parking space, take this out of the car, and whip around a city for a day. There are several variations of this model. Micah Toll over at Electrek.co has a review of them. The Qualisport Nemo is currently selling at a Black Friday price of $849, while the Swagtron is a mere $437.50 on Amazon. The Nemo is probably a much better quality bike, but for a last mile solution from the El to work, how much do you really want to spend (after all, you did buy an XP rather than a Rad Mini :) )? And since they don't call Chicago the Windy City for nothing, I suspect that commute of yours will get a bit chilly in January/February.

I do not personally own one, but I have been eyeing the Swagtron make of folding ebikes. I don't have any sort of commute to worry about, but these bikes have intrigued me as a way to get around a city once I've arrived by car. Find a legal parking space, take this out of the car, and whip around a city for a day. There are several variations of this model. Micah Toll over at Electrek.co has a review of them. The Qualisport Nemo is currently selling at a Black Friday price of $849, while the Swagtron is a mere $437.50 on Amazon. The Nemo is probably a much better quality bike, but for a last mile solution from the El to work, how much do you really want to spend (after all, you did buy an XP rather than a Rad Mini :) )? And since they don't call Chicago the Windy City for nothing, I suspect that commute of yours will get a bit chilly in January/February.
The "Windy City" refers to the politicians, the wind coming off the lake in the wintertime is referred to as "The Hawk".

I almost wasn't allowed on the CTA train (the "L") here in Chicago. The station attendants said ebikes and escooters are not allowed. It was also rush hour and during that period most bikes are not allowed on the train. The only exception is folding bikes.
Out of curiosity, was there anything outside of "Lectric" printed on the sides that they knew it was an electric bike? I strapped mine together today at the frame and seat post. It was manageable, but that was about it. Still heavy but easier to roll and move.

Well here you go:
View attachment 38225View attachment 38226

I was kinda disappointed to see that it was an old-school threaded steerer tube on the fork with a jam nut on the stem. Just like a kids department store bike. I don't remember seeing any threaded suspension forks when I was searching. if they do have them, they're going to be the same low rent department store quality. Totally bogus.

on a lighter note, did you notice there's a serial number stamped on the top of your head tube, you can see it if you zoom in right above the logo?

I've been considering getting a couple of the XP ebikes. I love everything about the bike...except that it doesn't come with a front suspension fork. I guess for the price (at least the BF price) it is understandable that it doesn't come with any suspension. I wasn't too worried because I just figured that I could easily enough add an aftermarket suspension fork if I found the ride too bumpy.

...Then I saw this post :(

Has any more effort gone into upgrading the stock fork to a suspension fork? Having a threaded steerer tube is a serious bummer.

Has anyone tried to remove the stock fork? With other bikes, it looks like you can actually convert from threaded to non-threaded by swapping the headset/cups/etc. Although I can't tell from the pictures if the XP cups on the head tube are removeable or welded to the head tube/frame? The one good thing is that it appears the threaded steerer tube is at least a 1-1/8" size...

Anyways...just wondering if anyone has dug into this any deeper. I'm not adverse to swapping headsets if it's possible...

Or do people think the fat tires are enough and there isn't a huge need for a front suspension fork??

qualifier ...
I rode 20" bmx bikes as a kid...

I think you can change out the fork, but if that's your goal buy a bike with it already, would end up cheaper in the long run.

I'm no thin dude, but jumping curbs, potholes and what not aren't a big deal, just like the bmx days stand up.
This bike is much heavier than the old bmx bikes thou.
Bob

qualifier ...
I rode 20" bmx bikes as a kid...

I think you can change out the fork, but if that's your goal buy a bike with it already, would end up cheaper in the long run.

I'm no thin dude, but jumping curbs, potholes and what not aren't a big deal, just like the bmx days stand up.
This bike is much heavier than the old bmx bikes thou.
Bob

Yeah, but it's not necessarily my goal. It might be just fine without it. This will be my first ebike and first fat tire bike.

Suspension aside, the XP seems to be the best deal all things considered for this style/type of bike. It would just be great to know if there is the potential for an upgrade path if ever desired.

I've looked at a few other similar ebikes with suspension, but they are all almost double in price (at least the ones I'm actually interested in). And if it was possible to add a suspension fork, that would only be an additional 80-150 bucks.

Darceman, what a great idea thank you for sharing. I will be watching for an umbrella stand sitting at the curb during my rides.
I've been considering getting a couple of the XP ebikes. I love everything about the bike...except that it doesn't come with a front suspension fork. I guess for the price (at least the BF price) it is understandable that it doesn't come with any suspension. I wasn't too worried because I just figured that I could easily enough add an aftermarket suspension fork if I found the ride too bumpy.

Has any more effort gone into upgrading the stock fork to a suspension fork? Having a threaded steerer tube is a serious bummer.

Has anyone tried to remove the stock fork? With other bikes, it looks like you can actually convert from threaded to non-threaded by swapping the headset/cups/etc. Although I can't tell from the pictures if the XP cups on the head tube are removeable or welded to the head tube/frame? The one good thing is that it appears the threaded steerer tube is at least a 1-1/8" size...

Anyways...just wondering if anyone has dug into this any deeper. I'm not adverse to swapping headsets if it's possible...

Or do people think the fat tires are enough and there isn't a huge need for a front suspension fork??
I find that if you keep the air pressure around 18psi the bike is pretty good except roots...I ride a lot of trails and with the suntour suspension seatpost and the right air pressure its not too bad. You can also convert to threadless as well if you really want to go that route.

I find that if you keep the air pressure around 18psi the bike is pretty good except roots...I ride a lot of trails and with the suntour suspension seatpost and the right air pressure its not too bad. You can also convert to threadless as well if you really want to go that route.

Thanks for the feedback.

So it is possible to convert to threadless for sure?

Thanks for the feedback.

So it is possible to convert to threadless for sure?
Yes if you use the search button a fellow did it with the same frame as ours. I don't recall the name of the brand but it looked near identical to ours. He bought the stuff from AliExpress. Sorry I don't recall the name of the bike but if you search you should find it. He used a fat Tire air shock. And also you will love the ride the fat tires give you. So much better in loose stuff like sand loose dirt gravel etc.

Yes if you use the search button a fellow did it with the same frame as ours. I don't recall the name of the brand but it looked near identical to ours. He bought the stuff from AliExpress. Sorry I don't recall the name of the bike but if you search you should find it. He used a fat Tire air shock. And also you will love the ride the fat tires give you. So much better in loose stuff like sand loose dirt gravel etc.
If I recall correctly the bike in question was an Ecotric. Use the search function for "Ecotric suspension fork" and I am sure it will come up for you.

when I looked into it the forks weren't really the problem, it was the bearing cups and the folding stem.
bearing cups didn't look to be removable.
The folding handle bar stem was hard to find.
In the end I didn't pursue it after getting the bike because I didn't feel it was worth it to me.

This is called an integrated head tube. They're common in the bmx world and there are no cups to change.

I think changing to front suspension can be done fairly easily, and I might make it a winter project. You would need a threadless fork, cut it to the right length, an integrated headset with the right size bearings, crowns, and star nut, and a new folding stem. All readily available on aliexpress or amazon. You might need a different front brake adapter too (that's the little machined spacer part that sits between the fork and the brake body to put it in the right position to work). I don't know how standard the front brake mounts are on different forks.

Keep in mind that adding front suspension will raise the front of the bike 3 or 4 inches so you could get away with a shorter stem. They make folding stems in different lengths that are not adjustable, therefore lighter, if you know the length you need.

There are YouTube videos on changing the integrated bearings and changing the integrated headsets themselves, but I'm not aware of any that do a threaded to threadless conversion on an integrated head tube.

This is called an integrated head tube. They're common in the bmx world and there are no cups to change.

I think changing to front suspension can be done fairly easily, and I might make it a winter project. You would need a threadless fork, cut it to the right length, an integrated headset with the right size bearings, crowns, and star nut, and a new folding stem. All readily available on aliexpress or amazon. You might need a different front brake adapter too (that's the little machined spacer part that sits between the fork and the brake body to put it in the right position to work). I don't know how standard the front brake mounts are on different forks.

Keep in mind that adding front suspension will raise the front of the bike 3 or 4 inches so you could get away with a shorter stem. They make folding stems in different lengths that are not adjustable, therefore lighter, if you know the length you need.

There are YouTube videos on changing the integrated bearings and changing the integrated headsets themselves, but I'm not aware of any that do a threaded to threadless conversion on an integrated head tube.

Yes, I think I agree with you. After a bunch more research yesterday and learning a lot about the different headset types...I do think it would be possible as well. I asked Lectric about it and they said the bike comes with a 1-1/8" semi-integrated headset (threaded).

So I don't think it matters that the cups can't be removed...because that's how semi-integrated works. Like you said, just need to get the appropriate semi-integrated headset parts for the appropriate size integrated cup (not sure diameter on the cup but I'm sure it's probably a standard size).

We are just lucky that the bike uses 1-1/8" as opposed to 1".

So with the above in mind and knowing it should be a 'relatively easy' upgrade if I ever decide I want a suspension fork, I bit and ordered a white and a black XP bike last night!! Excited to get them...

Good idea. The swagtron is much cheaper and will be fine for a mile or two.

Out of curiosity, was there anything outside of "Lectric" printed on the sides that they knew it was an electric bike? I strapped mine together today at the frame and seat post. It was manageable, but that was about it. Still heavy but easier to roll and move.

I haven't covered up anything so that's likely the dead giveaway.

Back