lectric xp upgrade

Jim britt

Region
USA
I Have had my electric so for a year now and I really love the bike,I use it for recreational use and for hunting, when hunting I pull a trailer with me and the bike does really good, my problem is I live in very hilly country and on the steep hills the bike just doesn't have the power which I expected for a under 1000 bike,I am looking to upgrade for a 750 motor with hopefully decent amp hrs,I like the beefy look of my bike,anybody have any suggestions on an upgrade would be appreciated. Thanks!

First thing I changed on our new XP 2.0 ST bikes was to change the freewheel from 14-28 to 11-34. This gives a considerably-lower first gear to help with climbing hills.

As for power, I note that on the hills around us my bike pulls 18 amps at 48v at full-throttle. That's about 900 watts, or a bit over one horsepower. The fact that the motor is rated at 500 watts just means that it can't pull those 900 watts forever or it will eventually overheat, but then around here I'm at the top of the hill in maybe five minutes.

I'm still learning about this stuff but from what I can tell the 48v/18a parameters are a limitation of the battery pack, not the motor. The lithium cells in the pack are 2600mAH, times four in parallel gives you 10.4AH. If the cells are rated at "2C" I understand that means they can reliably be discharged at twice that, or 21 amps.

From what I'm learning, if you want stump-puller ability then you might want to look at "mid-drive" bikes, where the motor is at the crank and can take great advantage of a very low sprocket gearing. But perhaps your quickest and cheapest option is to first change the freewheel to aid in your climbs.

Jim..
There are kits available for front or back hub motors..
Obviously the rear kit involves changing displays and stock controller position etc.
The front hub option is plug and play.. I have an XP and added 1000 watt front hub.
It is night and day!.
All you use from the kit is motor/throttle and controller .. the latter simply goes in a bike bag on your rack..
Along with your NEW 20 amp hour 48 or 52 volt battery for that motor..
My bike is shown here on the forums under accessories, pg.18 I believe..
Also, I JUST started recording my rides on you tube under "Racer x Somewhere in Oregon"
There I also do a quick walk around.. On my "Meet my XP vid." Just pardon the breathing..LOL!
It was 40 degrees out there, and the camera is brand new.. I'll adjust the mic as I go.
I'm 6'3" 300 pounds and my bike weighs 80 with all my gear .. it takes me up to 30mph on flats and climbs hills like a champ.
Cheers!
Racer

Back