Lectric XP Throttle Assist

BudCurtis

I have seen several YouTube videos where the author's bike has a thumb throttle assist attached. Can someone suggest which throttle assist works for their Lectric XP and where they purchased it? I have the same question regarding a handlebar extension that will fit on the original handlebar.

Our Lectric bikes come with a twist throttle and not a thumb throttle, I am not sure if you know they are two different objects that essentially do the same thing. It controls the throttle assist; either by using your thumb, or by twisting.

Here is a handlebar extender that a few members have been using and recommending.

Our Lectric bikes come with a twist throttle and not a thumb throttle, I am not sure if you know they are two different objects that essentially do the same thing. It controls the throttle assist; either by using your thumb, or by twisting.

Here is a handlebar extender that a few members have been using and recommending.
Yes I do know the difference. My question is , if there's a thumb throttle available that is compatible to replace the twist throttle. Plug and play, no modification. Sorry for not clarifying.

I've had my Lectric XP for over a month now and have been lurking. Finally joined today since I just completed this project.

My previous eBike was an early Sondors. It's a great bike but my nephew, who knew I was eying a Lectric XP, convinced me to "sell" it to him and get the Lectric XP. So far I've been enjoying the Lectric XP but of course I had to add my favorite accessories and one thing I preferred on the Sondors was the thumb throttle. It was one thing I had to change.

I first ordered a thumb throttle from Amazon but it was the wrong gender --a three ping male connector is needed for the Lectric XP. Next I ordered this thumb throttle from Ali Express. This time the gender was correct but on connecting it, I received Error code E 008.
LectricXP31a.jpg

Doing some reverse engineering, I determined that the power and signal lines were reversed in the Ali Express thumb throttle. A quick test got rid of the error and spun the week with more precise control than the half twist throttle.
LectricXP32a.jpg

LectricXP34a.jpg

Here is the original half twist throttle.
LectricXP35a.jpg

Found this one on Amazon after I had ordered the one from Ali Express.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGXWMPL/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1NFI7T7JQ7UEG&psc=1

Last edited:
I have a twist and thumb throttle on my 2 Ebikes. IMO, its 6 of 1 half dozen of another. I rarely use either unless I'm starting from dead stop. I will say, I like the convenience of the throttle to get my tired butt goin...

Can some one please post a straight forward thumb throttle upgrade guide? Even the link posted by w3curtis has two different thumb throttles in the amazon picture. I’m electrically dumb, but handy.

Can some one please post a straight forward thumb throttle upgrade guide? Even the link posted by w3curtis has two different thumb throttles in the amazon picture. I’m electrically dumb, but handy.
The short answer is it will be a 50/50 crapshoot if the Amazon one will work work without modification. There seems to be no standard for the three pin throttle wiring. The only consistent pin position seems to be ground.

As long as you have the correct thumb throttle gender, best case you luck out and the pinning is correct, or worse case you will have to cut it and swap the signal and power wires as I did.

I didnt like the thumb throttle that much better when I had one on my Qualisports, if I remember correctly it actually hurt your thumb after awhile to keep it streched and constant pressure on the trigger.

I didnt like the thumb throttle that much better when I had one on my Qualisports, if I remember correctly it actually hurt your thumb after awhile to keep it streched and constant pressure on the trigger.
This is one of those philosophical issues: Ford/Chevy; High Wing/Low Wing; Thumb/Half Twist/Full Twist; round grips/paddle grips, etc.
For me it’s thumb throttle. It’s great that Lectric uses “ mostly” standard parts that allows owners to mod to their desires.

Oh, and we have Cruise Control!😂

-William

Indeed, I love the individualism you can get with your bike, all custom and modded out.

Updated picture with thumb throttle and both "round" grips installed. I love the precise control that the thumb throttle allows.
LectricXP37a.jpg

Twist throttle for me. When I rode atv’s I preferred thumb but for dirt bikes, motorcycles and ebikes I like twist throttles.

It probably doesn't matter much to me. I have an ATV with thumb, although it operates more horizontally rather than the vertical orientation of those I've seen on ebikes. That is a more natural motion than vertical IMHO.

Back