Lectric XP review: one year, 3200 miles later and I still love it!

getmac

Region
USA
25358EC9-1CD4-47BA-9BA7-3203A367DDF9_1_105_c.jpeg 85C82F06-A44B-44BA-BB50-ED7440308CB1_1_105_c.jpeg2195D08D-8568-476A-90A2-4A898E894A98_1_105_c.jpegF3173260-80F8-49A2-A3DF-010391157269_1_105_c.jpegE79F064E-2F59-456F-870C-FF746055BEEF_1_105_c.jpegDA536611-0F91-4A7D-A531-2D23CF117C5A_1_105_c.jpeg 9B4FC7A3-56A8-48F5-8DDE-A08122DFBFE8_1_105_c.jpeg C147EB14-28A2-4314-82DD-119672A32394_1_105_c.jpeg

There is always a first and this is my first review ever about my first e-bike. I ordered a white Lectric XP (835x) December 2019 and received it on the last day of the year. I started biking January 1st, 2020 and today I happily celebrated one full year of great pleasant riding my XP. I love it. The odometer says 3200 miles but from what I can read in the threads and from personal experience, that number could be increased by at least 15%. Some people complain about the odometer (and speed) being off but that is no big deal for me; the important is to enjoy the ride knowing that you are doing a bit more than what is says (as long as I don't get a ticket for speeding). 3200 miles does not really seem a lot, less than 10 miles a day (I live in Southern California) but it is impressive when you you think that I could have done a return trip from San Diego to Vancouver or would be half way back from Miami. I think that tells a lot about the reliability of this e-bike. Was is all a smooth ride? Overall yes; no big problems. Had to replace a pedal at about 550 miles (most probably not threaded properly to start with), 2 punctures. had to change rear tire because worn smooth at about 2800 miles, changed disc pads front and back once (could have nicer brakes but if adjusted regularly the are good), and just these last few days had to replace the battery (under warranty) because it was not holding the charge (did not fully charge and discharged very quickly). This last point is a bit of a concern for me and I hope that the original battery was somewhat defective. There might have been something defective to start with but it is hard to know when you have nothing to compare it with. I do not want to have to buy one every year and I don't think I will have to. Will let you know next year. 6000 miles?! :)
So what is the good and the bad?
Pros:
Did I mention reliability? Honestly I have not found many threads that speak about longevity. I will be contacting Lectric to see what kind of maintenance, if any, the Lectric motor needs.
Customer Service: Did not call them often but both for the pedal and the battery they were very responsive to my needs. I thought I would have had problems getting a replacement for my battery, but they asked me a few questions about its behavior and some details and before I knew it the battery was under way. Service was very important for me when I bought the XP and I am so happy that I can talk to knowledgeable people in Phoenix when I need to.
Cruise Control: I did not know it had one when I got it! Love this feature. I find that my preferred speed is between 15.5 and 16 on trails. PAS2 top speed is between 11.5 and 13.5 (depending on battery charge) while on PAS3 it is around 17, 18. One is too low and the other is too high, I set the cruise control at ~15.5, PAS on 2 and I can pedal comfortably trying to keep the power consumption around 2 or 3 amps (I think that is what it reads, flat and no wind). I found the instruction in a thread here).
Fat tires. Had not realized how nice they are when in traffic and having to deal with narrow grooves in the road.
Cons:
Only one really, the flywheel. I changed it when I got my first puncture, around 700 miles if I recall. I felt I was just spinning like an empty blender. Went to a 11-34. although I never used the 34. Some say you need to remove a washer but I did not have to. Love it now, as I feel I can actually contribute some energy, even at high speeds.
Would like a bit more autonomy. Hard to say how far you can go as wind can really reduce performance. I do not worry on 20-25 miles ride at 15mph but I pedal.
Do I have a wish list? Yes! Do you know any bike that can make an expresso on the go? I have looked around and for the price I cannot complain. Yes I would have like an updatable firmware or regenerative breaks but $$$$. I did not know what I was getting into when I bought it. Till the Covid-19 school closure I commuted to my school 9 miles one way and since March I try to keep a same routine and go for a 13 mile ride every day. If I had kept commuting I think I would have almost repaid the bike in the fuel I would have saved. I really hope she will still last for many more happy miles.
I would like a slightly wider handlebar for one hand control and to be able to place some accessories.
Foldable: I ended up buying a bike rack for the car because it is more convenient but was happy to be able to fold it when a friend comes pick you up when you have a flat or when storage is limited.

I hope this is useful to someone. I am not very often in this forum but will try to keep an eye for any questions you might have.
It is true that I don't not have anything to compare my Lectric XP to in real life but one thing for sure is I am so happy I decided to buy it. It has served me well this first year, and yes I used to bike quite a bit before but nothing like this. I don't even pay any attention to how strong the wind is blowing (I hate biking against the wind), I just get on the XP and go clear my mind!
Be safe and enjoy your riding.

Last edited:
Excellent update. I'm halfway there at 1600 miles. Just replaced brakes, front bearings & cone nuts (cone nuts too tight from factory). No more flats after adding "Flat out" tire sealant. Slime didn't work for me. I follow charging guidelines posted on the web to keep charging at 70-80% till just before riding. Takes planning ahead but we'll see if it pays off in the long run. Factory has given excellent support.

Excellent update. I'm halfway there at 1600 miles. Just replaced brakes, front bearings & cone nuts (cone nuts too tight from factory). No more flats after adding "Flat out" tire sealant. Slime didn't work for me. I follow charging guidelines posted on the web to keep charging at 70-80% till just before riding. Takes planning ahead but we'll see if it pays off in the long run. Factory has given excellent support.
Thank you for your comments. I will certainly nurse this battery but I thought I did also with the old one. I always connect to the battery before connecting the charger to the outlet and I do not always let it charge all the way to 100% even if the charger they provide offers a 'smart' charge. Usually I ride around 15 miles a day and I do not need the full capacity of the battery so I unplug it when I am near 53Volt (~90%). Then when in ride I go down to somewhere between 45 and 47 volts. I thought it was better to not fully charge so as to increase longevity. Have I got it wrong? I will spin the wheel by hand and check the bearings and cone play but it feels ok. Wonder at how many miles to change the chain. Any advice? You made it up to Vancouver! congrats; it is going to be a nice downhill the next 1600 miles. Hope you can ride year round where you are. Enjoy.

Nice summary.

Also in SoCal so I may be familiar with some of the rides you've done or have even seen you. Done Back Bay quite a bit, Crystal Cove and Newport to Bolsa Chica. Also have done the Santa Ana River Trail, San Gabriel Valley Trail and also Long Beach and Torrance Beach to Playa Del Rey(?).

View attachment 75577 View attachment 75578View attachment 75583View attachment 75584View attachment 75582View attachment 75580 View attachment 75585

There is always a first and this is my first review ever about my first e-bike. I ordered a white Lectric XP (835x) December 2019 and received it on the last day of the year. I started biking January 1st, 2019 and today I happily celebrated one full year of great pleasant riding my XP. I love it. The odometer says 3200 miles but from what I can read in the threads and from personal experience, that number could be increased by at least 15%. Some people complain about the odometer (and speed) being off but that is no big deal for me; the important is to enjoy the ride knowing that you are doing a bit more than what is says (as long as I don't get a ticket for speeding). 3200 miles does not really seem a lot, less than 10 miles a day (I live in Southern California) but it is impressive when you you think that I could have done a return trip from San Diego to Vancouver or would be half way back from Miami. I think that tells a lot about the reliability of this e-bike. Was is all a smooth ride? Overall yes; no big problems. Had to replace a pedal at about 550 miles (most probably not threaded properly to start with), 2 punctures. had to change rear tire because worn smooth at about 2800 miles, changed disc pads front and back once (could have nicer brakes but if adjusted regularly the are good), and just these last few days had to replace the battery (under warranty) because it was not holding the charge (did not fully charge and discharged very quickly). This last point is a bit of a concern for me and I hope that the original battery was somewhat defective. I do not want to have to buy one every year, as they are quite expensive.
Pros:
Did I mention reliability? Honestly I have not found many threads that speak about longevity. I will be contacting Lectric to see what kind of maintenance, if any, the Lectric motor needs.
Customer Service: Did not call them often but both for the pedal and the battery they were very responsive to my needs. I thought I would have had problems getting a replacement for my battery, but they asked me a few questions about its behavior and some details and before I knew it the battery was under way. Service was very important for me when I bought the XP and I am so happy that I can talk to knowledgeable people in Phoenix when I need to.
Cruise Control: I did not know it had one when I got it! Love this feature. I find that my preferred speed is between 15.5 and 16 on trails. PAS2 top speed is between 11.5 and 13.5 (depending on battery charge) while on PAS3 it is around 17, 18. One is too low and the other is too high, I set the cruise control at ~15.5, PAS on 2 and I can pedal comfortably trying to keep the power consumption around 2 amps (I think that is what it reads). I found the instruction in a thread here).
Fat tires. Had not realized how nice they are when in traffic and having to deal with narrow grooves in the road.
Cons:
Only one really, the flywheel. I changed it when I got my first puncture, around 700 miles if I recall. I felt I was just spinning like an empty blender. Went to a 11-34. although I never used the 34. Some say you need to remove a washer but I did not have to. Love it now, as I feel I can actually contribute some energy, even at high speeds.
Would like a bit more autonomy. Hard to say how far you can go as wind can really reduce performance. I do not worry on 20-25 miles ride at 15mph but I pedal.
Do I have a wish list? Yes! Do you know any bike that can make an expresso on the go? I have looked around and for the price I cannot complain. Yes I would have like an updatable firmware or regenerative breaks but $$$$. I did not know what I was getting into when I bought it. Till the Covid-19 school closure I commuted to my school 9 miles one way and since March I try to keep a same routine and go for a 13 mile ride every day. If I had kept commuting I think I would have almost repaid the bike in the fuel I would have saved. I really hope she will still last for many more happy miles.
I would like a slightly wider handlebar for one hand control and to be able to place some accessories.
Foldable: I ended up buying a bike rack for the car because but it is convenient when a friend comes pick you up when you have a flat or when storage is limited.

I hope this is useful to someone. I am not very often in this forum but will try to keep an eye for any questions you might have.
It is true that I don't not have anything to compare my Lectric XP to in real life but one thing for sure is I am so happy I decided to buy it. It has served me well this first year, and yes I used to bike quite a bit before but nothing like this. I don't even pay any attention to how strong the wind is blowing (I hate biking against the wind), I just get on the XP and go clear my mind!
You mean you started riding Jan 1, 2020 no?

View attachment 75577 View attachment 75578View attachment 75583View attachment 75584View attachment 75582View attachment 75580 View attachment 75585

There is always a first and this is my first review ever about my first e-bike. I ordered a white Lectric XP (835x) December 2019 and received it on the last day of the year. I started biking January 1st, 2019 and today I happily celebrated one full year of great pleasant riding my XP. I love it. The odometer says 3200 miles but from what I can read in the threads and from personal experience, that number could be increased by at least 15%. Some people complain about the odometer (and speed) being off but that is no big deal for me; the important is to enjoy the ride knowing that you are doing a bit more than what is says (as long as I don't get a ticket for speeding). 3200 miles does not really seem a lot, less than 10 miles a day (I live in Southern California) but it is impressive when you you think that I could have done a return trip from San Diego to Vancouver or would be half way back from Miami. I think that tells a lot about the reliability of this e-bike. Was is all a smooth ride? Overall yes; no big problems. Had to replace a pedal at about 550 miles (most probably not threaded properly to start with), 2 punctures. had to change rear tire because worn smooth at about 2800 miles, changed disc pads front and back once (could have nicer brakes but if adjusted regularly the are good), and just these last few days had to replace the battery (under warranty) because it was not holding the charge (did not fully charge and discharged very quickly). This last point is a bit of a concern for me and I hope that the original battery was somewhat defective. I do not want to have to buy one every year, as they are quite expensive.
Pros:
Cruise Control: I did not know it had one when I got it! Love this feature. I find that my preferred speed is between 15.5 and 16 on trails. PAS2 top speed is between 11.5 and 13.5 (depending on battery charge) while on PAS3 it is around 17, 18. One is too low and the other is too high, I set the cruise control at ~15.5, PAS on 2 and I can pedal comfortably trying to keep the power consumption around 2 amps (I think that is what it reads). I found the instruction in a thread here).
Cons:
Foldable: I ended up buying a bike rack for the car because but it is convenient when a friend comes pick you up when you have a flat or when storage is limited.

Great review. I also bought an XP in 2020 and it has been bullet proof. My son has added suspension front forks and many other upgrades. He uses it to deliver for Uber Eats. I guess the only knock so far has been battery life. (and Lectric was very conservative with their numbers)With that said, it is a tank and I think my son will agree it was a nice gift. I told my son, if he can sell the upgraded XP and my Sport, I will give him my Frey CC when and if it ever shows. I am leaning towards the Bulls Iconic or the Trek Powerfly...

Nice summary.

Also in SoCal so I may be familiar with some of the rides you've done or have even seen you. Done Back Bay quite a bit, Crystal Cove and Newport to Bolsa Chica. Also have done the Santa Ana River Trail, San Gabriel Valley Trail and also Long Beach and Torrance Beach to Playa Del Rey(?).
My daily sanity ride is reaching the Back Bay in Newport Beach and do the full circle. Total about 13 miles. I also love going from the Santa Ana river to Bolsa Chica and back. When going to school, half of my commute was along the Santa Ana river trail. Nice to be out of traffic.Yes I we might have crossed paths. Sometimes, for the second slow ride of the day, I am running my daughter's Husky in evenings. Fair winds. Will catch up one day.

Thank you for your comments. I will certainly nurse this battery but I thought I did also with the old one. I always connect to the battery before connecting the charger to the outlet and I do not always let it charge all the way to 100% even if the charger they provide offers a 'smart' charge. Usually I ride around 15 miles a day and I do not need the full capacity of the battery so I unplug it when I am near 53Volt (~90%). Then when in ride I go down to somewhere between 45 and 47 volts. I thought it was better to not fully charge so as to increase longevity. Have I got it wrong? I will spin the wheel by hand and check the bearings and cone play but it feels ok. Wonder at how many miles to change the chain. Any advice? You made it up to Vancouver! congrats; it is going to be a nice downhill the next 1600 miles. Hope you can ride year round where you are. Enjoy.
Thanks, sounds like you are doing right to extend battery life so now I'm concerned but hopeful that your experience was an anomaly. I hope to get 700 cycles or better for 2 years if use.

holy cow that's a healthy number of miles!
Honestly it just happened and I am lucky to live in an area where I can bike year round in a relaxing and energizing setting. My right knee is kind of busted but biking works great. That is the nice thing about an electric bike is that you just get on it, and depending on the day, the mood, you put in it what you have to offer. I might be getting addicted!! I was the first to be shocked at how fast miles accumulate. Would not even be close if it wasn't for the XP. Apparently some studies show that by having an e-bike one ends up doing more exercise than with a regular bike. In my case it is true because I no longer have ant excuses to procrastinate.

Great review. I also bought an XP in 2020 and it has been bullet proof. My son has added suspension front forks and many other upgrades. He uses it to deliver for Uber Eats. I guess the only knock so far has been battery life. (and Lectric was very conservative with their numbers)With that said, it is a tank and I think my son will agree it was a nice gift. I told my son, if he can sell the upgraded XP and my Sport, I will give him my Frey CC when and if it ever shows. I am leaning towards the Bulls Iconic or the Trek Powerfly...
Thank you Taylor. I imagine batteries are a problem for all bikes and I believe Lectric did not choose a cheap one. Woow seems you did a lot of modifications. I hope tpkeep mine a long long time. Technology is changing so fast, especially with batteries.

If you are still happy after 3200 mi. I´d say you´ve found a good, affordable entry level bike.:cool:

If you are still happy after 3200 mi. I´d say you´ve found a good, affordable entry level bike.:cool:
Thank you John. You said the right word; 'entry level'. I realize my bike is not the best out there but things get very expensive and I wanted to see it I would really use it. I guess I do! It served, and serves, its purpose well and I am curious at this point to see how far it can go. There are tons of modifications I could do but it is ok like this. I am sure one day I will be spending hrs reading reviews on this forum looking for the 'ideal' bike but I think now I am learning what to look for in a bike. Meanwhile. I will fully enjoy what I have. Enjoy your 2021 rides John!

Thank you John. You said the right word; 'entry level'. I realize my bike is not the best out there but things get very expensive and I wanted to see it I would really use it. I guess I do! It served, and serves, its purpose well and I am curious at this point to see how far it can go. There are tons of modifications I could do but it is ok like this. I am sure one day I will be spending hrs reading reviews on this forum looking for the 'ideal' bike but I think now I am learning what to look for in a bike. Meanwhile. I will fully enjoy what I have. Enjoy your 2021 rides John!
The great thing about a cheap bike is your mistakes don´t cost as much while learning the ropes. My first bike cost more than twice as much
as the one I have now. It´s a bit higher maintenance but still a better bike than the 1st.

Hope this thread isn't too old. I'm updating my earlier comments as I've put an additional 1600 miles on my bike for a total of 3200. Just like getmac, I contacted Lectric just prior to the warranty running out about battery issues. They are sending me a replacement, thanks Lectric. So looks like the battery will be good for about 3200 miles, 300 charge cycles before the performance weakens to maybe 50-65% of new.

Hope this thread isn't too old. I'm updating my earlier comments as I've put an additional 1600 miles on my bike for a total of 3200. Just like getmac, I contacted Lectric just prior to the warranty running out about battery issues. They are sending me a replacement, thanks Lectric. So looks like the battery will be good for about 3200 miles, 300 charge cycles before the performance weakens to maybe 50-65% of new.
man that would mean I would have needed three batteries if I owned one in a year and a half. the cost of cheap bikes is not always as good as it seems.

saw on the youtubes suggestions on battery longevity. looks like for best chance at long life lithium batteries dont like to be fully charged or discharged. luna makes chargers that you can charge to 80 or 90% theres also an old thread about using a timer. i sure after market batteries will only get better. this forum is a great place to compare notes. !

Damn that's terrible, the battery is the weak point of this bike, at least it's easy to add additional batteries. That's what disappointed me with the new Lectric XP 2.0 no change to battery AH. But as mention you get what you pay for.
I read somewhere that they did change from both LG and Samsung to only Samsung for 2.0. LG = 10.4ah and Samsung = 9.6ah if memory serves. Rumored to test nearly identically so I don't know if it matters. The lack of battery and/or motor upgrade were some of my biggest reasons for not upgrading while waiting for my order. The other reasons being delivery time, oil filled suspension, 3 inch tires, graphics. I almost canceled my order. I went and test rode a Ride1Up 500w that was for sale locally for a decent deal. It wasn't bad. Peppy and nice looking bike. But I decided to wait for my classic folding fat tire XP.

Back