Lectric Mid Drive? Hmm.. Game changer?

DavidRvR

Region
USA
Maybe not but I think this is cool.. id like to order one to try but want to see the specs... Out of the way VADO

lectric.jpg

Also wanted to add...

This is like a McDonal's Job .. its a gateway to better things.. It is a starter bike that will let you know if you will be interested in upgrading to a better bike or not... Or I should say it was the reason I bought 2 of them originally was because they were cheap and it helped us decide if we would like the idea of an electric bike or not... HAving issues with Knees/ BAck and so on.. it was a cheap gamble... It paid off we own 4 Frey Bikes, 1 Giant, 1 Stromer and a cheapo for my Daughter inlaw as she is short so we got a kids bike for her and I have Some mobility scooters I use for Disneyland and so on.

If you are into replacing freewheels, chains, and love shifting gears (which is required with a mid drive)...and dealing with a 75# tank...knock yourselves out. If you snap a chain...you're done and I have several friends with mid drives and YES they are more fluid and smooth...but wow the cost for that little bit of comfort is high. The chain under that kind or torque coupled with your legs is a real issue. Also with this new found torque, folks will really be pushing the envelope to see what they can haul or tow with these beasts. I do LOVE the new down tube integrated battery (only took them 3 years).

Last edited:
Highly doubt this will have some monster torque to have to worry about a chain breaking. This is almost a buy and use, then throw away the carcass ..

So I've been considering adding a bafang kit to my lectric 2.0, and today I see this. I live in the mountains and on almost any bike ride, the 2.0 is still a bit too weak to climb quite a few of the hills I have around here, even the on road ones. My mind is racing ...

We had a pair of standard frame XP 2.0s delivered this afternoon. The option to redirect them back to Lectric and order XPremiums was available. My wife took one look at the new bike and nixed it because of the cow catcher in front of the bottom bracket. At only five feet tall she also picked the standard XP frame over the step thru for the higher bottom bracket. I was pretty tickled with her analysis.

We had a pair of standard frame XP 2.0s delivered this afternoon. The option to redirect them back to Lectric and order XPremiums was available. My wife took one look at the new bike and nixed it because of the cow catcher in front of the bottom bracket. At only five feet tall she also picked the standard XP frame over the step thru for the higher bottom bracket. I was pretty tickled with her analysis.
I got the standard for the same reason, but I find that it's not really necessary. I honestly prefer riding my wife's step-thru. If I get the new bike, I'll probably cut that "cow catcher" off. It's pretty big, and really lowers ground clearance. The new bike will be a much better hill climber ...

This Model should have been called Xpower not Xpremium. There are no premium parts on this bike and with external wiring and wire loom that looks like they found cases of unused cassette tapes and decided to use to wrap the wires.

I wonder if they've received a large number of requests for a mid-drive bike.

Maybe the 2.0 was still underpowered and were trying to fill that void?

I rode street and mountain bikes for decades but that was years ago. We just got two of the XP2.0st bikes for Christmas last year, and love them.

I do not understand the hostility against the 7-speed Shimano. Both our bikes shift effortlessly up and down. Snick-snick. What else do I want? I did install 11-34 freewheels for their far wider range. Oh, and the mechanical brakes were horrible--until I lubed the cables. Big improvement.

Yesterday I suggested the XPremium to a friend that seems enamored with this style of bike. It doesn't appeal to me, but I understand why others are attracted to bikes like this. Personally, I don't care for fat tire handling (or lack of it) and like its 2.0 sibling, it's likely too heavy to move easily without the motor engaged. Still, Lectric really threw the kitchen sink at this thing, and hopefully they'll be inspired enough to combine the best qualities (mid drive, torque sensor, hydraulic brakes, fantastic range) into a lighter and more nimble bike.

The folding feature though is pure marketing sheen. Unless you're The Terminator or a serious weight lifter, who would want to fold and lift this thing into a vehicle? It's a backache waiting to happen. At least Lectric didn't try to integrate the battery into the middle of the frame. Access is much easier this way.

The XPremium appears to be a really good buy in its class though, which is why I suggested my buddy take a close look at it.

What do I think about this latest Lectric? $1800 for 2 batties to = 100+ range, mid-drive, & hydraulic brakes is a good price for that. But I don't want to change gears much throughout my ride if that's what one has to do. But, I ride on flat-level terrain 96% of the time. I don't know anything about mid-drive e-bikes. & it's still foldable, which I need these days! Wish is was 750W motor, came in a mid-step too, & 3" tires though.

As for the weight of it, it's pretty heavy if you don't take the batteries out, but if they're both out when you're lifting it in/out of the car, then it's great at only 61 pounds! PLUS, I personally will remove any rack(s) & headlight, so that will take off another several pounds for me!

Overall, I'd like to try it if I can test it out for a week & then decide if I want to keep it or not without the shipping hassle.

Last edited:
What do I think about this latest Lectric? $1800 for 2 batties to = 100+ range, mid-drive, & hydraulic brakes is a good price for that. But I don't want to change gears much throughout my ride if that's what one has to do. I don't know anything about mid-drive e-bikes. & it's still foldable, which I need these days! WIsh is was 750W motor & 3" tires though.

As for the weight of it, it's pretty heavy if you don't take the batteries out, but if they're both out when you're lifting it in/out of the car, then it's great at only 61 pounds! PLUS, I personally will remove any rack(s) & headlight, so that will take off another several pounds for me!
you will need to shift or its going to causes issues and the ride will suck.

Thanks & I just looked up an informative video about mid-drive e-bikes. Too much trouble. I'll NEVER get a mid-drive e-bike.
Can you provide a link to the informative video? I ride a mid drive, so I'm curious to know why they're too much trouble. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!

That's a good point. 61 lbs. isn't light, but it's manageable, and Lectric made battery access much simpler on this bike.

Back