Lectric eBikes and eTrike

jackhuerkamp

Region
USA
I own two Lectric eBikes - an XP Step-Thru 2.0 Black and an XP Lite Midnight Black. I decided to purchase the XP Trike for my wife who cannot ride a two-wheel bike, and it arrived on May8th. FedEx did quite a number on the packaging - including shipping it upside-down. After unpacking it, I discovered that the fender support bracket had been severely bent, and the fenders were rubbing against the tires. I contacted Lectric Support, including pictures of the damage, and they processed an order for a replacement set of fenders which are supposed to arrive this Wednesday.
In the interim, I charged the battery and took the XP Trike on a test ride on my crushed stone driveway and grass on my 5 acre lot. That is when I observed some strange and dangerous operation. While in power assist modes 1 and 2, I attempted to turn to the left, but the bike tried to propel itself to the right. Also, when almost at a dead stop and in power assist mode 2, twisting the throttle had no effect. I contacted Lectric Support, they provided a list of tests they wanted me to perform and to report back the results of the tests. Based on the test results, they determined I have a bad wiring harness. They shipped a replacement to me, and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
I asked Lectric Support if the harness was going to come with instructions on how to do the swap out, and they said that they do not have instructions on doing this. They suggested that if I felt uncomfortable in trying to swap out the harness, I could bring it to a local eBike shop and they would compensate me up to $60 to have the harness exchanged. As a retired mechanical/environmental engineer, I am pretty good at tackling projects of this nature. But a set of instructions would sure help.
Does anyone have a link to a video, etc. showing the swap out of the wiring harness on an XP Trike?

I have attached a picture of the XP Trike without the fenders.

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp

Attachments

• IMG_9842.jpg
    IMG_9842.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 225
Yes, the XP Trike was just released and I received one from their first shipment. But you would think that someone instrumental in the design of the XP Trike would know how to install and swap out the wiring harness. What are the odds that someone at the local ebike store Lectric suggested I bring the trike to has a Lectric XP Trike in stock and is familiar with changing the wiring harness?

I own two Lectric eBikes - an XP Step-Thru 2.0 Black and an XP Lite Midnight Black. I decided to purchase the XP Trike for my wife who cannot ride a two-wheel bike, and it arrived on May8th. FedEx did quite a number on the packaging - including shipping it upside-down. After unpacking it, I discovered that the fender support bracket had been severely bent, and the fenders were rubbing against the tires. I contacted Lectric Support, including pictures of the damage, and they processed an order for a replacement set of fenders which are supposed to arrive this Wednesday.
In the interim, I charged the battery and took the XP Trike on a test ride on my crushed stone driveway and grass on my 5 acre lot. That is when I observed some strange and dangerous operation. While in power assist modes 1 and 2, I attempted to turn to the left, but the bike tried to propel itself to the right. Also, when almost at a dead stop and in power assist mode 2, twisting the throttle had no effect. I contacted Lectric Support, they provided a list of tests they wanted me to perform and to report back the results of the tests. Based on the test results, they determined I have a bad wiring harness. They shipped a replacement to me, and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
I asked Lectric Support if the harness was going to come with instructions on how to do the swap out, and they said that they do not have instructions on doing this. They suggested that if I felt uncomfortable in trying to swap out the harness, I could bring it to a local eBike shop and they would compensate me up to $60 to have the harness exchanged. As a retired mechanical/environmental engineer, I am pretty good at tackling projects of this nature. But a set of instructions would sure help.
Does anyone have a link to a video, etc. showing the swap out of the wiring harness on an XP Trike?

I have attached a picture of the XP Trike without the fenders.

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp

How has that trike worked out for you. I was looking at it for the future.

Lectric support was great. I ended up having to send the Trike back as the axle was damaged in shipment. Lectric paid for the return FedEx shipping as well as the packing materials and the new trike arrived in good condition.

always be aware trikes are going to feel funny till you get used to them,after I wreck my new build trike(yellow peril)I will warn the next owner(probably have to give it away) about the unique handling.

Back