Lectric Bike XP - Power Issue

ramg1967

Hello All,

I have been using XP bike since May 2020. So far covered 2500 kms. It is working fine.

Just a minor issue started few weeks ago - keep loosing power. I have to turn off the key - turn on and continue riding. What could be the cause? Is this fixable through bike shop or it is time for battery replacement?

Appreciate your input.

RL

Just to be sure, the power button on the handlebar won't work after you loose power until you switch the battery off then back on? T/F

That is correct. I have to switch the battery off - turn on and then press power button on the handlebar to continue riding. This keep happening every 200-300 meters. Have to stop frequently to fix the issue.

Then it is not likely the battery. Cutting off the power with the key is having the same effect as unplugging your modem when your internet goes out. You're resetting the electronics. Do the things you can such as unplugging all the connections and reconnecting one at a time. If that doesn't work then remove the discharge plate (the plate mounted to the bike opposite the battery that connects the battery to the bike). The controller is behind the discharge connector. Check those connections as well, looking for any carbon deposits that would indicate a poor connection. Check the solder joints on the controller for loose connections as well. Clean any connections showing carbon deposits, have any poor solder joints repaired at your local electronics repair shop. I suspect replacement of the controller along with the display unit would resolve your problem. Lectric customer service will send you one for a fee if it's out of warranty.

Or for free if you're still in warranty....
I'm a retired electronics tech by the way. Have built a few ebikes, started my ebike journey with the Lectric XP.

Last edited:
I will give it a try at local electronics shop. The bike is out of warranty.

I have sent email to Lectric contact today for their input on how to get the issue resolved.

Reactions: ALS

I have sent email to Lectric contact today for their input on how to get the issue resolved.
Hey I’m having the exact same problem. Did you figure out what was wrong with yours?

Hey I’m having the exact same problem. Did you figure out what was wrong with yours?
I have the same problem with random power off on bumps and on even roads.

I have the same problem with random power off on bumps and on even roads. any updates on it?

I have the same problem with random power off on bumps and on even roads.
that suggests a loose connection or dry solder joint, give all the plugs/sockets and cables a once over, if it persists try to isolate the issue remove the controller from the bike and emulate bumps and knocks to it and if it cuts out.. the problem is with the controller or its connections.. if not try the same with the headset.. then perhaps the battery and mount?

Thanks, I did all of that and applied an electric grease here and there, when it is needed. Lectic was even kind enough to send me a 3mm tape to ensure a better connection between the battery and 5 pins...
Last night I did emulate the bumps by softly knocking the frame with a soft runner hummer - thing went even worse, the frequency of losing the power went up on average.

Thanks, I did all of that and applied an electric grease here and there, when it is needed. Lectic was even kind enough to send me a 3mm tape to ensure a better connection between the battery and 5 pins...
Last night I did emulate the bumps by softly knocking the frame with a soft runner hummer - thing went even worse, the frequency of losing the power went up on average.
Bad controller?

I'm not familiar with your bike so can only speak generally. But an ebike is 3 basic components, the motor, its battery, and its controller +i/o(display-buttons-sensors) on a bike.

So as always starting with the battery, crack its case and confirm all connections are solid. sounds like you have already covered the battery to bike connection issues.

With the battery ruled out
(i would suspend my back wheel and use the throttle to start the 'walk mode' ) and then with tweezers (non conducting) give each and every wire entering and leaving the controller a verifying tug n waggle. followed by a similar waggle test at the other end of each wire too.

If still no joy I would then give the final wheel? motor connection cable a bit of agro and agitation finally opening the wheel and checking and reflowing all the solder points.

leaving the controller or headset pcb s to be the probable points of failure, opening and reflowing as much solder as possible without bridging any components would be the next action. and if all that fails well i think its time to consider a new controller and headset combo.

Back