Leave the key in?

Dorkyman

Region
USA
Okay, second post here, so go easy on me.

Getting delivery of an ST Lectric today, looking forward to riding it.

Yeah, strange key location, which I'm sure will be modified in the future. But my question is, if there's no possibility of theft, why not just leave the key on? If the display has timed out, how much current draw would there be? Would the headlight remain on?

One of my first actions will be to swap out the 14x28 freewheel for an 11x34 one.

Okay, second post here, so go easy on me.

Getting delivery of an ST Lectric today, looking forward to riding it.

Yeah, strange key location, which I'm sure will be modified in the future. But my question is, if there's no possibility of theft, why not just leave the key on? If the display has timed out, how much current draw would there be? Would the headlight remain on?

One of my first actions will be to swap out the 14x28 freewheel for an 11x34 one.
Like Mr. Rocket, I leave the key in and on all the time except folding. There is no battery drain with the bike off at the display.

I got the ST last week. I couldn't really believe they put the key there. On the other hand, leaving it in, it's basically touch the on/off and go. So I'd change that (Lectric, not me), just so I don't break the key off. I didn't know about the folding thing, so glad you brought this up. The deal with the freewheel is very hard to understand. It's just the wrong cadence for the speeds the bike will reach with the motor. If you want to go around 25 mph it's just a scooter, unless I am missing something. The DNP freewheel that is linked in a You Tube video runs $40, and then $10 for the freewheel tool. Even the 11 tooth isn't going to be great, looking at a chart of gear ratios. Maybe a lot of the owner/riders really aren't looking for much performance. One guy in a YT vid said his wife never goes above PAS 2 on her XP. Sometimes I wish they had some options when you place the order for the bike. Like maybe the Tannus inserts...

Got the ST bike last evening, love it, folded it several times with the key in. Key is supposed to bend, or something? From what? My ST key doesn't interfere with anything.

As for the freewheel, the stock 14-28 works fine but makes it hard to go faster than 20mph. But that's probably Lectric's idea. Heck, even at 20 you need your full attention.

Nonetheless I have (Amazon, $30) a new 11-34 freewheel that I will eventually install. Eliminates peddling like a maniac at 20+ speeds, and the very low 1st gear will pull stumps. They also sell an 11-32.

Back