LCD display for Sondors eBike

Houshmand Moarefi

I received my Sondors eBike two weeks ago and already have used it for nearly 200 miles of commuting. So far I am pleased with the performance and the value of the bike. I am now looking for ways to improve the performance and to manage the pedal assist feature. Has anyone found a LCD display that can connect to this bike? Also any ideas on how to improve the top speed?

In case you are interested, my commute is 11.5 miles each way, mostly flat paved bike lanes with some gentle climbs. The longest I have ridden on a full charge, 16 miles and still had some juice left in the battery. Top speed in the flat sections (while pedaling), 19 mph. I have achieved 28 mph on the downhill sections. The crank spins out at 20-21 mph ( I am planning to change to a 13 tooth free wheel cog to improve the spin out speed). My average speed while commuting is 16.2 mph. I installed a Specialized cycle computer to monitor speed and miles ridden.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Good job!

I suppose most immediate improvement in speed would be to pump the tires to maximum psi and keep checking them often.

Good job!

I suppose most immediate improvement in speed would be to pump the tires to maximum psi and keep checking them often.

Nope, it's a myth.

After all this testing, we now can say with great certainty that increasing your tire pressure (beyond a certain point) does not make your bike faster on road surfaces that range from very rough to very smooth. In fact, on very rough road surfaces, higher pressures are a lot slower than lower pressures, because the suspension losses are so great. On most surfaces, tire pressure (beyond a certain point) simply doesn’t make a difference in speed.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/science-and-bicycles-1-tires-and-pressure/

Edit: This is a little easier to read: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/03/what-is-the-optimal-tyre-pressure/

Last edited:
It's only a myth if you know what your starting tire pressue is and to what your final tire pressure could be ;-)

Fat bikes are notorious for low pressure riding for better traction off road and also for it taking a lot of work to actually pump them up to decent tire pressure.

I was assuming low initial tire pressure on the Sondors Fat Bike. Pumping it up will improve speed and efficiency.

It's only a myth if you know what your starting tire pressue is and to what your final tire pressure could be ;-)

Fat bikes are notorious for low pressure riding for better traction off road and also for it taking a lot of work to actually pump them up to decent tire pressure.

I was assuming low initial tire pressure on the Sondors Fat Bike.

Well, from my experience of 4 inch tires, he'll be okay with anything from 8 to 15 psi. The speeds and distances he's stated sound about right compared to what others have reported.

He should certainly try out lower pressures (8 to 10 psi) - I'm guessing that he'll lose little in terms of distance and performance but will gain a lot in terms of ride quality. For fat tires running lower pressures it helps to get a low pressure tire gauge like this one; http://www.amazon.com/Meiser-Presta...Y3Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438169999&sr=8-28 <- That's for a Presta valve so check if you have a Schrader valve.

Pumping it up will improve speed and efficiency.

Again, no, not necessarily, due to suspension losses incurred at higher pressures.

Last edited:
@bramer and @Adrian, thanks for the feedback and the comments. I have not experimented with the tire pressure. Generally I like to keep the tires at the higher end of the pressure scale for road or hardback riding.

I am mainly focused in improving the gearing and to get a better read out of the battery usage, and pedal assist levels.

Has anyone else tried to improve the performance or found a LCD display?

Has anyone else tried to improve the performance or found a LCD display?

Court mentioned that Sondors may come out with one eventually. I believe some people are looking into using the Cycle Analyst but I've no idea if that's feasible. Have you asked on the private Sondors Facebook "support" forum?

I have not posted this question on the Facebook page yet. I looked on AliExpress.com and found several LCD displays but I am not sure whether they would work. Most displays found are designed for the Bafang mid drive systems. Also since they lack pictures of the connector so it's hard to gauge Their feasibility.

Easier if u wait until Sondors sells an lcd unit. It should be plug and play.

Your avg speed is pretty good considering the motor size. Increasing top end will just reduce your range. A smaller rear cog is the best way to go. Maybe 2 teeth smaller to start

I know nothing about the display, a friend sent this link. Didn't even have time to watch it all yet.

I've put over 700 miles on my sondors so far with a few observations:
1. I ride about 20 miles/day, same route. I run @ 20psi normally as this gives best range, tops speed, battery life on my route. 100% concrete.
2. When I get off-road... rutted cat-crawler tracks...... 10-15psi is best (for me). 20psi beats you up.

I've added a 2nd front dir drive hub motor 350 watt, and I get 26mph with no PAS, and I've had the bike up to 29mph downhill with no pas.... and only the front dir drive motor powering me to these speeds.

I've got an LCD controller on order from sondors and aliexpress so I can raise the speed limit of the sondors rear hub motor...... right now i use the rear sondors motor to get off the line, up hills, etc.... for help under 20 mph.... then the front dir drive motor is for cruising above 20mph - 26mph.

Interesting article above on running less tire-pressure for optimal riding energy...... I do see a change in the bike's ride with tire pressure...... particularly over regular divets in the pavement...... 16-20psi is best for my concrete riding.

For kicks I tested a smaller 4" vee8 tire, and it gave me more top speed (less rolling res), and better tq factor for the front dir drive motor. But the trade-off in ride quality sent me back to the orig 4.8" tires all around.

One4tourqe, thanks for sharing your experience. Since July 8, I am now at 1100 miles, upgraded the chain ring to 48T and have added an Aliexpress LCD display. Between the display and the bigger chairing, my spin out speed is now at 24 mph. I have reached 34 mph on a long downhill and have climbed mt. Evans ( Echo Lake to Mt. Evans, 14 miles, 3600 ' climb with two batteries) I am very interested in adding the front hub motor. Can you please share a link?

Also, I have now part of the Sondors Storm Owners Group on Facebook. If you have not joined yet, check it out. There are over 3000 members which can be very helpful if there are any problems.

Check ebay for a fatbike 350watt front wheel kit. It is about $250. Complete kit includes: assembled fat tire wheel/dir drive hub motor, controller, brake levers, and throttle, and grips, and PAS. It bolts right on a sondors no problem. You will want to buy a tq arm for safety, and modify the sondors box to fit both controllers. Easy to do, and really wakes the bike up for top speed, acceleration, range, and offroad cap.

Have had the LCD on the Sondors for about a month now and what a diffrence it makes. Like a brand new bike. I just use the PAS now pedal.

Just got my UPS msg... sondors LCD shipped this week... should be here this weekend. Wahoo it's like christmas for an old man.

Back