Laying an ebike flat

Not to hijack this gentleman's thread, but...

While I am thinking about it, I would need to take off both of my wheels to lay my bike flat under the tonneau.

The handlebars would also be rotated horizontally, so really the left pedal and the fork would be the only thing contacting the bed.

How safe do you guys think that would be? I would strap it down to prevent movement, but I would think there would still be the possibility of the bike pivoting on the pedals and possible damaging the brake rotors, or other components
Be sure to install the brake pad shipping wedges so the pistons don't come out if you have hydraulic brakes.

So I tried this out today. Would be nice to leave the bike frame under the tonneau, out of sight for a long drive.

I would need to take both of my wheels off to get it flat on the truck bed. I have the bike positioned derailleur up, and the fork oriented so the front brake rotor is up as well. The handlebars are resting on a little brick, so the cables are not kinked. I have it bungied to stay in place, and a rubber bed mat underneath. Brake pad shipping wedges installed in both brakes

The only concern is that basically the entire weight of the bike is balanced on the left pedal. I don't know if this will stress out my crank or possibly bottom bracket. What do you guys think?

bike flat.jpg

What do you guys think?
I wouldn't do that unless I had no choice. I think if I removed the front wheel I could get my 29er in the back seat of my F150 with the seats folded up. I know I could with both wheels removed. Then I'd put the luggage in back under cover. I haul boats, trailers and campers, it's not the travel you prep for, it's the accident or emergency stop you prep for.

I wouldn't do that unless I had no choice. I think if I removed the front wheel I could get my 29er in the back seat of my F150 with the seats folded up. I know I could with both wheels removed. Then I'd put the luggage in back under cover. I haul boats, trailers and campers, it's not the travel you prep for, it's the accident or emergency stop you prep for.

I'm confused - are you worried about getting rear ended with the bike in the bed of the truck, or that laying the bike flat for the ride might damage the components?

I'm confused - are you worried about getting rear ended with the bike in the bed of the truck, or that laying the bike flat for the ride might damage the components?
I'd be a little concerned the shifting load in any emergency could damage the bike. Surely it can be secured with enough effort. Like you, I also wonder about the pedal/crank contact and pressure on the bottom bracket. I have considered trying to get my bike inside the cab. I am going to see if my bike will fit in the back seat with just the front wheel removed.

Traveling with ebikes is more involved than I considered prior to getting one. I've had great success with the Thule Insta-gator racks. Fortunately my bed is 6'-6" long, so they work well for me. I don't have a foolproof plan for rain though. I remove the battery and display in foul weather. I've also wrapped the handlebar and wiring in plastic cling film a few times as well.

This why I lay mine on an old, but clean, futon mattress. Nothing shifts and I don’t wrap anything as I have a lockable topper over my truck bed.

Back