Latex Gloves for Cold Weather Riding

More on the theory of vapor barrier liners, as this thread makes it obvious that many people are not aware of that theory:

https://www.warmlite.com/vapor-barrier/

From the above:

During World War II, US cold weather troops used Vapor Barrier socks to cure frostbite and trench foot. We started promoting use of Vapor Barrier socks (baggies, bread bags, etc.) in 1957, then gloves and shirts, and in sleeping bags in 1967. Vapor barrier in a sleeping bag gives no added warmth when vented, but always protects the insulation from condensation and sweat soaking. Thus, it’s advisable to have Vapor Barrier in your bag for ALL seasons. The surface wickability of Warmlite’s Fuzzy Stuff makes it especially desirable for summer use when you’re sure to overheat.

A common argument against Vapor Barrier is actually a misunderstanding of the function and usefulness of vapor barrier clothing and is, in fact, Vapor Barrier simply doing its job. Using vapor barrier clothing is different than other clothing, such as wickable clothing, and habits and attitudes towards layering will have to be adjusted. Once learned how to be used, however, it is not only helpful but can be an actual life saver. Vapor barrier clothing can increase temperature beside the skin by up to 20°F. Vapor barrier clothing immediately warns the wearer of overheat because it traps over 90% of moisture (sweat) within the barrier, this is what alerts the wearer to overheating. This can be misunderstood as causing the overheating, but it simply all sweat being trapped, protecting upper layers from becoming damp or soaked. It also stops evaporation, chilling, and insensible sweat.

Thank you. There seem to be many people who immediately associate moisture with getting cold without understanding the context. I remember a bunch of times while cold-weather backpacking and my feet started to get cold that I'd slide a ziploc bag over each foot under the sock. It made a HUGE difference.

What about a good pair of ski gloves? Latex doesn't breathe.

The 'not breathing' part is how a vapor barrier works. It's what increases retention of body warmth and it absolutely works. Not everyone can deal with how it feels at first. I've just never done it on my hands and wonder what others' experiences might be.

Last spring I tried neoprene gloves under regular gloves because I was reentering the sport and hadn't sourced a good pair of bicycle gloves yet.
I didn't find them very warm, although they do help in a pinch.
A good pair of wind resistant bicycle gloves is much more comfortable, imo

Last spring I tried neoprene gloves under regular gloves because I was reentering the sport and hadn't sourced a good pair of bicycle gloves yet.
I didn't find them very warm, although they do help in a pinch.
A good pair of wind resistant bicycle gloves is much more comfortable, imo

I would agree. My main question was using latex (nitrile more likely) in combination with a good pair of bike gloves. Wasn't the neoprene kind of thick as an underliner? I use it for cold-water paddling, and it's enough, but I'm moving at 25-25 mph of course. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would agree. My main question was using latex (nitrile more likely) in combination with a good pair of bike gloves. Wasn't the neoprene kind of thick as an underliner? I use it for cold-water paddling, and it's enough, but I'm moving at 25-25 mph of course. Thank you.
Oh sorry, I meant nitrile, not neoprene. Just disposable blue painter's gloves.

Haven't tried that -- but latex gloves almost always make my hands sweat.
In the 36-degree morning commutes last April, I wore a thin pair of winter gloves inside a larger pair of heavier/thicker winter gloves. Neither pair worn on their own was 100% great at stopping wind penetration to my fingers, but combined together my hands were comfy-to-warm the whole ride. (These were dry rides, so I didn't have to worry about rain/wet.)
Having lived half my life in severe cold, latex gloves...well...suck. Best to have a layer the wicks away moisture, not collect and trap like latex.

I wouldn't really want to use a vapor barrier solution unless it was either a dire emergency (e.g, soaking wet gloves or socks) or it was really, seriously cold. Really you should only consider it when temperatures are well below -18C (0F). Those are temperatures more associated with mountaineering in Alaska, the Karakoram, or the Tien Shan than with riding an electric bike.

Vapor barriers start off feeling gross and icky, but they are much less gross and icky than frostbite. And if you wear vapor barrier socks or glove liners you will not get frostbite. The big downside is that you can get "dishpan hands". In some cases, especially if you used vapor barriers for weeks on end, you could get an infection or injury from your macerated feet or hands.

Fortunately, most people have the good sense to be inside when it is that cold and needn't worry about vapor barriers.

I wouldn't really want to use a vapor barrier solution unless it was either a dire emergency (e.g, soaking wet gloves or socks) or it was really, seriously cold. Really you should only consider it when temperatures are well below -18C (0F). Those are temperatures more associated with mountaineering in Alaska, the Karakoram, or the Tien Shan than with riding an electric bike.

Vapor barriers start off feeling gross and icky, but they are much less gross and icky than frostbite. And if you wear vapor barrier socks or glove liners you will not get frostbite. The big downside is that you can get "dishpan hands". In some cases, especially if you used vapor barriers for weeks on end, you could get an infection or injury from your macerated feet or hands.

Fortunately, most people have the good sense to be inside when it is that cold and needn't worry about vapor barriers.

Sounds like you have experience using them on your hands and have experienced the sloshiness I had wondered about. I don't mind that feeling on my feet. My greatest need for extra warmth isn't during bitterly cold mornings. We don't get all many here. When I need it most is when it's less than 40 or so, so frostbite isn't a threat. My commute begins with an extended downhill where I can, if I let it go, easily hit 35+. By the end of that, my hands are usually damn cold. So I take your point, but I don't see a VB as necessarily an emergency measure, and I appreciate hearing about your personal experience. I've used vapor barrier arrangements on the water in cool air temps and it saved my feet, and I had no problem with that icky feeling, though I know what you're talking about with skin "rot," so I am always careful to dry my skin thoroughly. When the time comes, I'm still going to give the liner gloves a try on my hands as an experiment. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back