Latex Gloves for Cold Weather Riding

Riversurf

Anybody out there use a thin latex glove under their regular gloves in cold weather? I'm thinking they would act as a vapor barrier.

Haven't tried that -- but latex gloves almost always make my hands sweat.
In the 36-degree morning commutes last April, I wore a thin pair of winter gloves inside a larger pair of heavier/thicker winter gloves. Neither pair worn on their own was 100% great at stopping wind penetration to my fingers, but combined together my hands were comfy-to-warm the whole ride. (These were dry rides, so I didn't have to worry about rain/wet.)

Last edited:
Buy a good pair of motorcycle gloves, latex gloves will actually make your hands colder. Gloves made for cycles, snowmobiles etc. are made to be able to use controls and still provide warm and dry. Cost a bit more but worth it.

Buy a good pair of motorcycle gloves, latex gloves will actually make your hands colder. Gloves made for cycles, snowmobiles etc. are made to be able to use controls and still provide warm and dry. Cost a bit more but worth it.

I do have a pair of decent, waterproof cycling gloves that are reasonably warm. What I haven't yet found is a very warm pair that still gives me enough dexterity.

Haven't tried that -- but latex gloves almost always make my hands sweat.
In the 36-degree morning commutes last April, I wore a thin pair of winter gloves inside a larger pair of heavier/thicker winter gloves. Neither pair worn on their own was 100% great at stopping wind penetration to my fingers, but combined together my hands were comfy-to-warm the whole ride. (These were dry rides, so I didn't have to worry about rain/wet.)

I do need to consider rain, nearly every day starting mid-Octoberish. What thin gloves are you using as the liner?

(The sweating part is what would create the vapor barrier -- like the way a wet suit works to create a layer of warm liquid against your body. When it gets cold enough, I'll give it a try, just out of curiosity at least)

What about a good pair of ski gloves? Latex doesn't breathe.
The ski gloves I've tried are bulkier than I like. I use them when it's really cold, but it's a lot harder to do things like change my headlight setting, changing the motor's power level, etc. The not breathing part of a latex layer is kind of the point, and notionally it could help maintain hand heat (same idea as a vapor barrier) as long as there was another layer over them to prevent convective cooling. If it gets to "sloshy," that I wouldn't like.

I've used the latex glove trick for decades. I don't think I'd want to use it day-to-day but in an emergency (e.g. your outer gloves get wet) it can be a lifesaver, or rather a finger-saver.

Once I tried latex gloves over regular gloves while it was actively snowing. They fell apart almost instantly...
I ride with Bar-Mitts and Craft lobster gloves. My hands are set.

What thin gloves are you using as the liner?
Its a pair of thin gloves by 66 Degrees North, bought in Iceland -- I think it is called "Vik" glove -- but I see on their website they offer 3 varieties of that, including one listed as windproof-- I do not recall which specific version of "Vik" I bought while over there.

I tried several types of thick winter bicycle gloves with my winter temp between 15-35 degrees and whatever the wind chill when riding 18-22 mph. Finger tips always get cold to numb and I had a harder time using the ebike controls with thick gloves.

Best thing that work for me are XL Bar Mitts and wearing my late fall/early spring full finger padded gloves. The Bar Mitts never caused my finger tips get too cold and I can still work the controls under the Bar Mitts with the thinner padded gloves. I even found gel pack you can heat and insert into the Bar Mitts and that helps keep everything toasty and comfy on longer rides (only for about 30 mins).

Latex liner would make me sweat, and sweat is a negative in the cold. Conducts heat more in puddles at the end of the fingers, which tend to be lower than the hands.
Down to about 20 deg f I use leather work gloves with cotton knit gloves underneath. Poly knit liner has proved not as warm.
Below 20 deg down to -6 F I use extreme rated work gloves from the farm supply. Leather outers, some kind of patented material liner. Wells Lamont is one brand, they also make mittens. Not every wells-lamont glove is extreme cold rated.
No I can't actuate fine controls on a LCD screen with them. But I've gone into shock at 5 deg F and 15 mph wind with the aforementioned two layer solution. Carry a rubber eraser stick if you need to access fine controls. My bike has inputs come from hard switches, only display is on the LCD screen.

I use these heated gloves every winter. They act as liners and keep my hands comfortable even in 15 degree F. The batteries are good quality and last a long time. They are also compatible with the 12v power tool batteries you find at home depot.

More on the theory of vapor barrier liners, as this thread makes it obvious that many people are not aware of that theory:

https://www.warmlite.com/vapor-barrier/

From the above:

During World War II, US cold weather troops used Vapor Barrier socks to cure frostbite and trench foot. We started promoting use of Vapor Barrier socks (baggies, bread bags, etc.) in 1957, then gloves and shirts, and in sleeping bags in 1967. Vapor barrier in a sleeping bag gives no added warmth when vented, but always protects the insulation from condensation and sweat soaking. Thus, it’s advisable to have Vapor Barrier in your bag for ALL seasons. The surface wickability of Warmlite’s Fuzzy Stuff makes it especially desirable for summer use when you’re sure to overheat.

A common argument against Vapor Barrier is actually a misunderstanding of the function and usefulness of vapor barrier clothing and is, in fact, Vapor Barrier simply doing its job. Using vapor barrier clothing is different than other clothing, such as wickable clothing, and habits and attitudes towards layering will have to be adjusted. Once learned how to be used, however, it is not only helpful but can be an actual life saver. Vapor barrier clothing can increase temperature beside the skin by up to 20°F. Vapor barrier clothing immediately warns the wearer of overheat because it traps over 90% of moisture (sweat) within the barrier, this is what alerts the wearer to overheating. This can be misunderstood as causing the overheating, but it simply all sweat being trapped, protecting upper layers from becoming damp or soaked. It also stops evaporation, chilling, and insensible sweat.

Back