Latest Modifications; Hello from Northern Virginia

Nova Haibike

I have been watching EBR on YouTube for awhile, and have had an interest in getting myself an e-bike. I am 56, overweight and out of shape! A far cry from days-gone-by when I was riding "manually" 200-300 miles a week. I have been in the bicycle industry for 40 years, although currently I am not in the retail shop. So no access to wholesale prices! But I finally took the plunge a couple of weeks ago. I got myself a 2016 Haibike SDURO Trekking RC at what I think is a pretty good deal; under $1.9K for a Yamaha powered, Shimano XT brake-and-geared bike. Two years interest-free financing to boot. I took delivery of it on Friday March 2nd, and built it that same day. I had not really ridden any e-bike before, save for a prototype by Sachs (which could not climb Capitol Hill) almost 20 years ago. That, and a bike with a Bafang kit I installed for someone. So I had no idea what to expect, as I had not even test ridden the Haibike, or any other for that matter...I literally just took a chance. I have only taken it out on a couple of rides so far, and it is pretty nice. I wish it was Class 3 as I can easily go beyond 20mph on the flat, but all the class 3 bikes that pique my interest are $4K and up. Maybe I'll try a hack, or spring for a tuning kit later on. Anyway, happy to be on board.
2016 Haibike SDURO Trekking RC.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, @Nova Haibike!
I'm in the same boat as you, and looking forward to the pedelec getting me back into biking (and thus some much needed exercise!) in a fun and gradual way; I envision getting to the point where I'm almost always on level 0 or level 1 assist (out of 5)... but just starting out now, I've used 3, 4 and 5 a bit, on some bigger hills which I probably would have needed to walk my old bike up, or struggle beyond reason to pedal up, until I build up more stamina and fitness.

Hi, NOVA
And ‘howdy’ neighbor! I’m in Loudoun County and just received my new Haibike SDURO Trekking 7.0. So far, so good! Hope to see you on the W&OD Trails some day.

@MarCorpsMustang My early childhood was in Loudon; little village of Bluemont. Someday I’ll work up to trying the W&OD all the way from Arlington to Purcellville! I’m sure my battery wouldn’t last the whole round trip so I have to be more prepared to do a lot of it on pedal power. (Today I hit up a coffee shop a block off the trail in Vienna. ;)

I can barely remember the last time rode on the W&OD. I do know it was because I did the Reston Century a few times...like 20+ years ago...and the last stretch of the ride was on the path. I have been meaning to check it out again these past few weeks, but the Mount Vernon trail is closer to my house so I just end up riding there.

Welcome! I still ride to Reston (using W&OD) a few times from Shirlington and once to Leesburg and back (carrying a second battery). I'm hoping to reach Purcellville this summer. I heard there is a nice restaurant there at the end.

@WilliamT Haven't yet taken the plunge to buy a 2nd battery... I'm sure the price will shell-shock me...! I'd probably need to make my Arlington-Purcellville be an early morning trip -- with 2-3 hour break for full recharging (assuming I could make the 1-way trip on 1 charge.)

Welcome! I still ride to Reston (using W&OD) a few times from Shirlington and once to Leesburg and back (carrying a second battery). I'm hoping to reach Purcellville this summer. I heard there is a nice restaurant there at the end.
You're thinking of 'Magnolia's,' which quite literally at the end of the W&OD Trail (or the beginning of it, as we Purcellvillians say). Very nice place, but bring your credit card -- it's expensive.
I have biked the entire W&OD Trails several times years on a 'regular' bike. I'm planning to work up to it again with my new Haibike. I can't afford a second battery ($1K), but it's mostly downhill from Purcellville to Shirlington, so doesn't require much, if any, motorized assistance. Coming back is a different story. ;-)

Put in another 30 miles today, the first 10 of which I rode with the motor completely off. I was riding the Mt. Vernon trail so it wasn't a problem, but pedaling a 50+ lb. bike is not exactly pleasant.

Yeah, it's a bit of a workout for sure... I'm dropping into level 0 a little bit more often (when I remember) nowadays. But since I want the biking to provide exercise and further my weight loss efforts, I should be glad, perhaps, it's a heavy bike? ;)

You can also metrorail out to Whiele-Reston East station. From there you can get further west (out & back) on a charge, or use the charge to ride all the way back east. The W&OD is only 2 blocks north of the station.

Your little boy, Stunning !

Thank you, Bob and John. He has been gone almost three years now; every time I ride in D.C. I think about him. He was quite the tourist draw. :D

I put in another 38 miles today; in the past week 210 miles. I think I'll take a break tomorrow. The bike is running great, save for a slow upshift in the rear, and only between two of the 10 cogs; it doesn't happen in any other gears. I did make a very tiny gear adjustment last week, but the slow shift is still present. I'll probably pull the cable and lube it (and the derailleur pivots) and see if that fixes it.

The Minoura Accessory Holder I bought to move my Fenix light off the handlebars is no good. One of the screws that tighten the bracket are stripped in the aluminum collar. I've always had positive experiences with Minoura products before, but unfortunately this one is not one of them. I think I might give this carbon mount a try.

Thank you, Bob and John. He has been gone almost three years now; every time I ride in D.C. I think about him. He was quite the tourist draw. :D

I put in another 38 miles today; in the past week 210 miles. I think I'll take a break tomorrow. The bike is running great, save for a slow upshift in the rear, and only between two of the 10 cogs; it doesn't happen in any other gears. I did make a very tiny gear adjustment last week, but the slow shift is still present. I'll probably pull the cable and lube it (and the derailleur pivots) and see if that fixes it.

The Minoura Accessory Holder I bought to move my Fenix light off the handlebars is no good. One of the screws that tighten the bracket are stripped in the aluminum collar. I've always had positive experiences with Minoura products before, but unfortunately this one is not one of them. I think I might give this carbon mount a try.

Nova-I have to say I never heard of a 'bike handlebar extension' and I am in dire need of this due to a very crowded cockpit. I also see there are many different designs as well. Nice add on feature indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Back