Larger Tires on 2021 Vado 4.0 SL

Any views on whether the Vado SL 4.0 EQ will take 700 x 42 Green Guard Marathons - I know it will be very tight on the rear guard but too tight ??

Haven't tried the Marathons, but 38 mm pathfinders fit fine on my 4.0 EQ. 42mm SWorks pathfinders will rub on the rear fender mounting bolt. Didn't try the front since I had the fender removed at the time.

I agree with Nubnub. The maximum acceptable tyre width is 38 mm for the EQ version.

Now, you probably want the Marathons because of their puncture resistance. Please reconsider it. The Marathons are very heavy and stiff. You would not like them on a Vado SL because you would be using far more Watts to move, and that translates to a slower riding speed. The stiffness of Marathons will make the ride even less comfortable. Eventually, these tyres are pain to install and remove.

Please watch this. The bike mechanic mentions Marathons as the first hated thing. I owned Marathons for my another e-bike and didn't like them at all!

If you are looking for durable, fast rolling and suple tyres, please consider Specialized Pathfinder Pro 700x38c (38-622).

Last edited:
Back