Larger Replacement Tire Size

pwrplay

Region
Canada
Hi all,

I currently have 700x47c (28x1.75) Maxxis Overdrive Excel tires on my iGO Bonaventure . I would like to go to a little wider tire with a little more aggressive tread however I'm not sure how big I can go without any rubbing.

The tire I am looking at is the Schwalbe Marathon Modial in a 50x622 (28x2) and I was wondering if this tire would rub. I do have fenders, but I'm thinking of removing them anyway.

My bike will take 2.1" knobbies without rubbing the fender struts. Your bike may have a different design, be designed for a different market. You have to measure and compare. My 2.1" knobby giant tire is measuring 2.21" wide at max pressure, whereas a 1.75" city tire is measuring 1.52".

In addition to what others have said, you will find a tire will have a different profile depending on whether you air it up to its max psi (which is probably a smart thing to do given the potential consequences). And what fits regardless of tire size is going to depend on how the bike frame is built. You can have a tire whose casing fits between the chain stays (width) but rubs the seat tube (height).

You are just going to have to give it a go, be conservative and see what happens.

If there is an iGO user group somewhere in the world (Facebook would be my first bet) then go there and ask other owners of your specific bike. That will give you the greatest chance of success on the first try.

In addition to what others have said, you will find a tire will have a different profile depending on whether you air it up to its max psi (which is probably a smart thing to do given the potential consequences). And what fits regardless of tire size is going to depend on how the bike frame is built. You can have a tire whose casing fits between the chain stays (width) but rubs the seat tube (height).

You are just going to have to give it a go, be conservative and see what happens.

If there is an iGO user group somewhere in the world (Facebook would be my first bet) then go there and ask other owners of your specific bike. That will give you the greatest chance of success on the first try.
Thanks , I'll give the FB iGO users group a try. Heck, maybe I'll go ahead and send iGO an email to their support and see what they say.

I didn't realize buying new bike tires was so confusing. :confused: lol

Try using a digital caliper over the existing tires while in the frame, measuring the tight spots. Clearance is not just out. It is also up. 4mm, the thickness of two nickels, is pushing it to the limit, all the way around. I had a bike this week that I had to let air out of to set into the rear dropouts.

Try using a digital caliper over the existing tires while in the frame, measuring the tight spots. Clearance is not just out. It is also up. 4mm, the thickness of two nickels, is pushing it to the limit, all the way around. I had a bike this week that I had to let air out of to set into the rear dropouts.
I like/use this plan when going with a larger tire. Check the clearances with the tires you have (identify all the tight spots), while considering those you need. It should be pretty easy to have a good idea of where you would be with the bigger tires installed.

rim width will change the tire size. when I got new wheels built for a tandem the inside was a little wider. the tires I was using now rubbed the fender. so thats a factor on the shape of the tire.

rim width will change the tire size. when I got new wheels built for a tandem the inside was a little wider. the tires I was using now rubbed the fender. so thats a factor on the shape of the tire.
I've never seen a rim width change? Sidewall width, for sure. They get wider with bigger/wider tires.

That was counter intuitive to me until I just made a diagram. Unlike a tube a tire is not a full circle. The extra material of a wider rim adds the the width and height. If it were a circle it would be a bigger one.

That was counter intuitive to me until I just made a diagram. Unlike a tube a tire is not a full circle. The extra material of a wider rim adds the the width and height. If it were a circle it would be a bigger one.
yep. wider but less tall. so thats one reason tire measurements are all over the place. because the size of the inside of a rim can be all over the place within reason of course.

Just stay within the guide lines. I have seen Rice Rocket cars with the wrong size of tires to fit the rim. And they are like you say, lower profile and much wider.

Just stay within the guide lines. I have seen Rice Rocket cars with the wrong size of tires to fit the rim. And they are like you say, lower profile and much wider.

This is great! , thanks for the link

@pwrplay, it looks like you are on your way.
I am stuck with an new pair of Pick Ups, 26". A guy had a 6-month tour off Asia planned. I ordered all the parts online with him next to me. 10-minutes latter he was in a huge car crash from behind and was hospitalized. I did not find out until the parts shipped. I don't know how it work but components always find a home, sometimes very quickly. And who knows, the crash may have saved him some greater danger with that trip.

Back