Larger chainring

Fatire

Has anybody replaced the 52T chainring to a larger one? I can find replacements for about $60, but they don't have chain guides and am worried about dropping the chain.

I haven't done that yet, but I'm looking to do so soon if possible. I've now got 200+ miles on my new XP and find that at higher speeds I'm pedaling way too fast in 7th gear. I'd gladly give up low-end torque (I rarely use gears 1 & 2 anyway) for a slower pedal rotation speed at 25 mph and above. I thought I'd ask Ryan at Lectric and see if they offer one, and came across your post while searching for anyone else who has done this.

Then, if I find a suitable replacement, I've got to figure out how to actually make the swap...!

Bud

I second the freewheel option, much cheaper and if you have hills in your area look for the 11-34 so you have higher speed and easier hills. Aliexpress sells them, you can find the link info under the "accessories" thread

i've madly modded my bike. Look for my Lectric XP Tricked out post coming soon. Some people scoffed at me for my drivetrain upgrades and some actually seemed interested and helped me. I did both!
Litepro 56t 170mm cranks + Drift Maniac 11-34t and all I had to do was add 8 links to my chain... in fact it was a new KMC chain 116+8=124 link chain.

Yeah I've already replaced the cassette with a 11-34. Much of the time during my commute I'm riding in 7 (11t), and on some of downhills I'd like just a little bit more top end. Have you had issues dropping the chain off the litepro? It does not have an inner chain guide right?

i've madly modded my bike. Look for my Lectric XP Tricked out post coming soon. Some people scoffed at me for my drivetrain upgrades and some actually seemed interested and helped me. I did both!
Litepro 56t 170mm cranks + Drift Maniac 11-34t and all I had to do was add 8 links to my chain... in fact it was a new KMC chain 116+8=124 link chain.
So what was the final top speed you ended up with? I switched my freewheel to an 11/34T and am looking for a higher top end. I can hit 24 to 26 mph on flat ground. I fdeel the need for speed.

With all the good advice against changing the chainring, I went with the DNP 11-28 freewheel option and am very happy with it. My top end on flat ground is now about 26-28mph, and I can hit over 30 on downslopes (although it feels like the motor is "braking" as soon as the controller senses that speed - but probably just disconnecting power from the motor, which feels like the brakes are being applied...)

Pedal cadence is now more sedate in 7th gear, and I've been taking some 20-22 mile rides in the evenings after dinner (although with the days getting shorter, that'll probably have to cease until spring). Over 700 miles on the XP now...

With all the good advice against changing the chainring, I went with the DNP 11-28 freewheel option and am very happy with it. My top end on flat ground is now about 26-28mph, and I can hit over 30 on downslopes (although it feels like the motor is "braking" as soon as the controller senses that speed - but probably just disconnecting power from the motor, which feels like the brakes are being applied...)

Pedal cadence is now more sedate in 7th gear, and I've been taking some 20-22 mile rides in the evenings after dinner (although with the days getting shorter, that'll probably have to cease until spring). Over 700 miles on the XP now...
That's not the answer but I have given up spending more money on the bike, I will probably sell it and buy up to a more aggressive bike.

That's not the answer but I have given up spending more money on the bike, I will probably sell it and buy up to a more aggressive bike.

Well it was the answer to his dilemma. The answer to yours sounds like buy a different bike. I feel you.

If you're simply looking for more speed, changing the gearing is only part of the problem. The XP's controller has a programmed-in speed limit which can be lowered but not increased (assuming you have already adjusted the top speed setting to its highest). You can verify this on downhills runs - in PAS 5 pedal as fast as you can/want, and once you hit that limit, you'll notice what feels like the brakes being applied (it's just the motor shutting off). So regardless of the bike's gearing, above that set speed you're on your own!

Until someone comes up with an after-market controller that is programmed/programmable for a higher top end, your maximum speed is going to be a function of the bike's gearing PLUS your leg muscle strength...because above the bike's "limit", you might as well be pedaling a conventional bike - the electric isn't going to help.

Thanks for the advice, I put a bug in Boltons ear about doing an upgrade to the lectric he liked it. Maybe down the road he will come up with a new controller.

Back