Lafree questions

Judebarnes

(sorry if this post shows up twice, I'm new and not sure if my original post is being verified before it gets posted or I pressed the wrong button)

I got to try out a Lafree e+2 today (amongst a handful of other makes and models of ebikes) and was totally impressed with it.
I have a few questions for anyone that might be able to shed some light?
1. Is the e+1 just a superior version of the e+2? Is there anything superior on the e+2?
2. Is it normal for my foot to rub the front tire on sharp turns? (5'10 on a medium Lafree frame)
3. Are some folks getting about 60 mile range on average from the bike? (thats what the dealer told me her feedback was from buyers).
4. Has anyone out here test ridden other similar bikes (upright positioning, mid drive, comfort-style) and had thoughts on comparisons? (Specialized Como for example)
5. How much are replacement batteries and where's the most economical place to buy?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

(sorry if this post shows up twice, I'm new and not sure if my original post is being verified before it gets posted or I pressed the wrong button)

I got to try out a Lafree e+2 today (amongst a handful of other makes and models of ebikes) and was totally impressed with it.
1. Is the e+1 just a superior version of the e+2? Is there anything superior on the e+2?
2. Is it normal for my foot to rub the front tire on sharp turns? (5'10 on a medium Lafree frame)
3. Are some folks getting about 60 mile range on average from the bike? (thats what the dealer told me her feedback was from buyers).
4. Has anyone out here test ridden other similar bikes (upright positioning, mid drive, comfort-style) and had thoughts on comparisons? (Specialized Como for example)
5. How much are replacement batteries and where's the most economical place to buy?

Hello Judebarnes,

Answer: I absolutely Love the Carbon Belt. No mess. No Derailleur ! No Derailleur ! No Derailleur ! did I say No Derailleur to have your Chain jump off of....

Answer: I am 5'9" on a Medium E+1, and I would have to extend my foot forward to have my toe bump the Fender. That being said, I see many people ride bikes flat footed, with the pedal in the middle (arch) of their foot. Right or wrong, I was taught as a boy to position the pedal at the Ball of the Foot, for better leverage, etc. this too would reduce the possible contact with fender. I will admit the LaFree may be a scale / size that seems short to some people.

Answer: So many factors go into this question/answer. Such as, How much YOU do the work vs the motor. You may want to look for a Thread about Optimizing Battery usage.

Answer: Yes. My Wife and I tried no less then 20 bikes. FOR US, the Giant LaFree was a winner. For the money, You can't beat the AUTO MODE, the Carbon Belt, the Warranty, the Dealer Base, and the Quality of Yamaha & Giant. Of course, no bike has it ALL, and I do like a Throttle for example, of which LaFree doesn't have. So maybe an additional bike for different riding situations will be in my future.

Answer: Haven't had the need yet.

Craig :cool:

Nothing Superior on the E+2.
Yes we rode both.
You will learn to love the Carbon Belt. and No Derailleur.
However some people don't like the extra degree of complexity in removing the rear wheel with a Carbon Belt.
If you are inclined to let your Giant Dealer do whatever major maintenance the bike may need (as I am) then It's Not an Issue.
I recommend getting heavier duty Inner Tubes and a Puncture Liner to greatly reduce the possibility of a Flat, in which you might need to remove the Rear Wheel.
My Wife & I got 3 Flats (puncture weeds) between us with the Standard Inner tubes. Since we upgraded tubes and added the Liner..... NO FLATS and it holds Tire Pressure Better !

In the past I would say yes but more modern geometry has mostly gotten rid of this annoying feature. I'm surprised that it does actually even if the bike has fenders. In reality you probably won't notice it day to day though once you get used to the bike especially if you concentrate on using the ball of your foot on the pedal.

My wife and I went to several bike shops to try out different bikes and we stumbled upon a LaFree E+2 at one shop. It's not my cup of tea, but I thought it fit my wife's needs perfectly and loved the belt drive. I tried my best to convince her to get the LaFree, but it was black and that was a deal breaker for her. Dealer said he couldn't order a new LaFree in white since they are out of production. Discovering it was out of production, I persuaded the dealership to knock off the sales tax ($168 savings) on the one LaFree he had in stock, but my wife decided to hold off on getting an bike for a while.

I was so impressed with the Giant/Yamaha controls and motor that I went home and ordered a Momentum (made by Giant) Transend E+ for myself. It has most of the features of the LaFree, except the Transend is Class 3 and has a chain drive with 7-speed internal hub rather than a belt.

If you like the LaFree, grab it while you can. I think it's a tremendous value for the money.

I have the E+2, and don't mind the derailleur at all! I've always ridden bikes with chains/derailleurs, and have not had any issues with mine. It just wasn't worth an extra $400 to me to get the carbon belt and lights 😉. That's the only difference between the two models.

Even though I ride with the ball of my foot on the pedals, I have occasionally bumped the front fender in a sharp turn. I am careful about turning to avoid that.

I'm getting a little over 40 miles on average, on my battery, but I ride a LOT of hills.

Both of the La Free models are excellent bikes, it just depends on how much the belt VS derailleur matters (chain maintenance is chain maintenance to me - no biggie), and how much integrated lights matter (I prefer not to have the extra drain on the battery).

I love my La Free E+2 😍!

Interesting story to add to the LaFree's popularity.
One of the women in my small cycling group has two really bad knees. She had been riding an older road bike for many years and simply was no longer able to safely ride, especially mounting and dismounting. And thus she had quit cycling with us. :(😞
During the winter her sister came across a LaFree that was significantly discounted at a local bike shop. Our friend had her sister buy it for her, site unseen and not ridden. She absolutely loves it! Now she's leading the group up hills and longer distances.
It's so great to have her riding in our group again.
Ebikes rock!!

Last edited:
Has anyone purchased a U lock for the LaFree, curious what length works best with this model to wrap around frame as well as one of the wheels.

Jude,

The e+1 has the belt drive and lights, but otherwise it is the same bike. The LaFree has replaced my belt drive non electric bike (Trek Soho Deluxe). The reason why I liked the belt drive was that most of my bike riding is in town with a lot of stop lights and stop signs. With a belt drive if I miss a light I can downshift at the light without pedaling. My wife and I agreed on $2200 as the top amount I could spend on a ebike when I started looking. So that put the e+1 out. I have had the chain pop off a couple of times on the e+2 I bought and one time it actually jammed and I couldn’t get it back on and had to take it to the bike shop to have them fix it. It took them about 15-20 minutes (no charge). It came off yesterday but I got it back on easily without a problem. Right now I’m thinking the extra money is worth it, lol.

I’ve put almost 300 miles on my bike in a little over 3 months without this happening and I have a medium and am 5-10 with a 30” inseam.

I only started keeping track so I can’t tell you for sure. When I first started using the bike I used the auto mode because I had stopped biking very much due to knee problems and need the extra help and didn’t want to think about levels of assist. As I started biking every day I found that I could leave it at level one. I average about 20-30 miles a week on the bike and usually charge it up when it gets down to just two lights which takes about 10-14 days of biking, but most of my biking is on flat, paved streets. Once a week I have to go someplace with a moderate hill climb and I’ll either go up to assist level 2 or auto depending on how I feel. I’m working on biking to my daughter’s house which is 30 miles away, but haven’t found a good way yet. I know that I can make it there and wouldn’t be surprised if I could do it round trip, but I’m bringing along the charger when I do. I last charged the battery on August 16th and have ridden about 30-35 miles and still have 4 lights on.

I had decided to try the Espin Reine at a bike shop about an hour away which is very similar but has a throttle. Because of my knee problems I really wanted to check it out. So I made an appointment and drove down. When I got there they told me the brakes didn’t work so I couldn’t take it out. I noticed that the bike bobbed a lot as they moved it around and there was no lockout on the front suspension. On the way home I decided I didn’t want to deal with a bike shop that didn’t bother to call and let me know I wouldn’t be able to test ride it and that I lived an hour away. As browneye has pointed out the bike shop is just as important as the ebike you get. I ordered the LaFree the next day. I have found that my knees are doing fine and I haven’t needed a throttle. I tried out several rear hub relaxed bikes like the Magnum UI6 and Aventon Pace 500, but to me they were nowhere near the LaFree in value and comfort. Yesterday I had to take my wife’s van in for service so I threw my old non electric in the bike to ride home on as it is much lighter to put in the van and I felt like I should ride it once in awhile. It is a step over and it was very uncomfortable to get on and actually ride. Why did I torture myself for so long? Probably to deny that I’m old (72).

No idea, but I would imagine it would cost about $600-$650.

I’m very happy that I got the LaFree and am biking almost every day and feel great. I live in Oregon and it hasn’t rained much this summer, but I plan on biking through the rainy season. The bike has been even better than I thought it would be for my mental health. Good luck and happy trails, Jude.

Has anyone purchased a U lock for the LaFree, curious what length works best with this model to wrap around frame as well as one of the wheels.
I use a ulock and my old mesh lock which I've had for 20 years and is about 4 feet long so that I can lock both wheels with the mesh and use the ulock to secure the frame and mesh lock. I try to not leave any bike unattended very long.

I usually keep the mesh one on my non electric, but it is easy to take off and put on my LaFree when needed.

Attachments

• 20200827_100640.jpg
    20200827_100640.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 370
Jude,

I finally got down to two lights on battery level and charged up battery. So put on 46.1 miles in the two weeks since the last charge using mostly PAS 1 and auto on mostly flat ground. So by my rough calculation about 15 miles per battery light for me which means 75 miles to empty, or at least 60 miles down to the 20% left range. Keep in mind most of my riding is on flats with a moderate hill once a week.

Back