Lafree questions

Judebarnes

Just test rode one today with a handful of other makes and models,... and the Lafree E+2 really impressed me in almost every way. VERY excited about it.
Questons:
1. Is the E+1 considered a "better" model with belt drive etc? Is there anything superior that the E+2 has over the E+1? I'm not sure I'd be able to test ride and E+1 and feel gun shy about ordering it from a different online seller.
2. The dealer told me people were reporting back 60 mile range on the Lafree e+2. Were they just blowing smoke or have some people been getting that range? I did see a post here in the forums someone rode 18 miles and used only 20% of the battery , that sounds like 90 mile range to me.
3. Have any of you folks test ridden other similar bikes (raised seating , mid drive motor) and preferred the Lafree over others? (Like the Specialized Como, etc.)
4. The only thing I disliked about the Lafree was that on sharp turns my foot would sometimes rub against the wheel for brief moments. Is that normal ? (I'm 5'10 and was on a medium Lafree E+2 frame).

Answers to your further questions:

Nothing Superior on the E+2.
Yes we rode both.
You will learn to love the Carbon Belt. and No Derailleur.
However some people don't like the extra degree of complexity in removing the rear wheel with a Carbon Belt.
If you are inclined to let your Giant Dealer do whatever major maintenance the bike may need (as I am) then It's Not an Issue.
I recommend getting heavier duty Inner Tubes and a Puncture Liner to greatly reduce the possibility of a Flat, in which you might need to remove the Rear Wheel.
My Wife & I got 3 Flats (puncture weeds) between us with the Standard Inner tubes. Since we upgraded tubes and added the Liner..... NO FLATS and it holds Tire Pressure Better !

Craig :cool:

Just test rode one today with a handful of other makes and models,... and the Lafree E+2 really impressed me in almost every way. VERY excited about it.
Questons:
1. Is the E+1 considered a "better" model with belt drive etc? Is there anything superior that the E+2 has over the E+1? I'm not sure I'd be able to test ride and E+1 and feel gun shy about ordering it from a different online seller.
2. The dealer told me people were reporting back 60 mile range on the Lafree e+2. Were they just blowing smoke or have some people been getting that range? I did see a post here in the forums someone rode 18 miles and used only 20% of the battery , that sounds like 90 mile range to me.
3. Have any of you folks test ridden other similar bikes (raised seating , mid drive motor) and preferred the Lafree over others? (Like the Specialized Como, etc.)
4. The only thing I disliked about the Lafree was that on sharp turns my foot would sometimes rub against the wheel for brief moments. Is that normal ? (I'm 5'10 and was on a medium Lafree E+2 frame).

So I originally purchased the Lafree E+2 rode that for 2 seasons and got very tired of chain drop and the higher gears constantly shifting out of gear. I have a trusted Giant dealer in town and they could not get that to stop for me. The dealer said it was a lot of power for the cassette that comes with the model. He also told me I ride pretty hard and this bike is entry level and is meant for a more casual rider. I used this bike for exercise and I like to get moving. I traded up to the Lafree E+1 and couldn't be happier. I am not a roadie biker. I am an average gal that likes to go for a casual but keep things moving kind of ride. It was a solid choice and one I do not regret. The gates belt drive is worth its weight in gold. I can go more than 60 miles in a lower assist mode.... not using the integrated light. If you are on the highest assist, plan on getting about 60 miles or less depending on the terrain. I rode other ebikes before choosing this one and really wanted the Specialized Como but I could not justify the price. Now that I have the gates belt drive you couldn't talk me into a chain. I am positive I am one of very few people who could compare the bike experiences between the E+1 and E+2. I am sure not many people have owned both bikes.

Last edited:
So I originally purchased the Lafree E+2 rode that for 2 seasons and got very tired of chain drop and the higher gears constantly shifting out of gear. I have a trusted Giant dealer in town and they could not get that to stop for me. The dealer said it was a lot of power for the cassette that comes with the model. He also told me I ride pretty hard and this bike is entry level and is meant for a more casual rider. I used this bike for exercise and I like to get moving. I traded up to the Lafree E+1 and couldn't be happier. I am not a roadie biker and I am an average gal that likes to go for a casual but keep things moving kind of ride. It was a solid choice and one I do not regret. The gates belt drive is worth its weight in gold. I can go more than 60 miles in a lower assist mode....and that is not using the integrated light. If you are on the highest assist, plan on getting about 60 miles or less depending on the terrain. I rode other ebikes before choosing this one and really wanted the Specialized Como but I could not justify the price. Now that I have the gates belt drive you couldn't talk me into a chain. I am positive I am one of very few people who could compare the bike experiences between the E+1 and E+2. I am sure not many people have owned both bikes.
Tara.............You are Preaching to the Choir 😇 👍👍👍
I was a bit nervous about the extra $$ for the Two LaFree's I bought (both with Belt Drive), but as I had researched the whole carbon belt thing, I quickly came to the conclusion that it seems like a no brainier.
Since then, I have NEVER looked back and regretted it........... I am permanently sold on the Belt Drive, no matter what bike I have.

Back