Lafree E+?

Jax11590

I tried out a Lafree today (1st time on an ebike). Does anyone have any experience with this model? i couldn't find a review on that model on the EBR site. Thanks in advance!

My wife just bought a Lafree E+1 based on test riding a number of models at our local shops; we couldn't find reviews on the bikes, either.

From her anecdotal comments, the Yamaha assist combined with the internal gearing and Gates belt gave the smoothest ride and shifting of everything she tried.

My wife just bought a Lafree E+1 based on test riding a number of models at our local shops; we couldn't find reviews on the bikes, either.

From her anecdotal comments, the Yamaha assist combined with the internal gearing and Gates belt gave the smoothest ride and shifting of everything she tried.

Yamaha Motor is relatively quiet and combined with the gates drive, it lends to very silent, smooth assist.

I tried out a Lafree today (1st time on an ebike). Does anyone have any experience with this model? i couldn't find a review on that model on the EBR site. Thanks in advance!

The Yamaha drive is quite reliable and the bike is a pleasure to ride. You just need to shift the gears to get proper response from the motor. Like, starting in low gear, and then shifting to higher gears once you get upto speed.

Test ride few different bikes like the Trek Verve+, specialized Como and it'll become apparent which one you like the best.

Thank you both for your feedback! Yes i need to get out and test drive different ones. i'll have to find shops that carry the ones you mention, Ravi.

I really appreciate your help!

Jackie

I have a new lafree and I love it. I commute a few times a week to work. I ride it on social rides with my roadie friends. I did purchase insurance due to commuting in a high theft area, but I lock it up very well.

I liked it best out of about 20 bikes I tested. I originally liked the Elby better but this Giant has support from my local bike shop.

Attachments

• 3240960B-9328-4C6D-8F71-7CB72D5614A9.jpeg
    3240960B-9328-4C6D-8F71-7CB72D5614A9.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 429
I have a new lafree and I love it. I commute a few times a week to work. I ride it on social rides with my roadie friends. I did purchase insurance due to commuting in a high theft area, but I lock it up very well.

I liked it best out of about 20 bikes I tested. I originally liked the Elby better but this Giant has support from my local bike shop.

Thanks, Jaxhusky! Just curious if you would've chosen the Elby if it was supported by your LBS. The Giant is also the one supported by mine.

Thanks, Jaxhusky! Just curious if you would've chosen the Elby if it was supported by your LBS. The Giant is also the one supported by mine.
Elby has Bionx components and that company has gone bankrupt Elby slashed prices and stated that they had reserves of parts available for future issues but that was enough to deter me despite the more flexible size range the Elby can accommodate. my lafree has an awesome, smooth, belt drive so that I can arrive to work without grease on my pants.

I went Deep down the Rabbit Hole on this topic, and
my Wife & I finally settled on these bikes.
Our 1st E-bikes.

Many Check Boxes were filled by the Giant LaFree +1

- Yamaha Mid Drive Motor
- 60Nm Torque
- Super Smooth Power
- Gates Carbon Belt
- Nexus internal gearing
- Hydraulic Breaks
- Upright Ride
- Just the right size Tires
- Large company Support
- Tons of Local Giant Dealers around
- Well within budget $$
- Panasonic Battery
- 3A Charger
- Warranty 2 Year Comprehensive, Lifetime Frame

Here's to "Easy Ride'n" :cool::cool:

Craig

Attachments

• 20190724_124527.jpg
    20190724_124527.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 20190724_124645.jpg
    20190724_124645.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 365
Love your bikes. I’m trying to convince my hubby he needs one too but he still tries to ride his road bike as he thinks it is better exercise

My wife has the E+1 and loves it. Easy shifting and you can put the assist into automatic so she does not have to fiddle with it. She actually rode it on a beginners mtb trail

We have a Lafree E+1 and a Cannondale Mavaro NEO City. The E+1 feels so much nicer, and it was cheaper! The belt drive, internal hub, and yamaha motor feel incredibly smooth and natural.

The Cannondale has the Bosch Active Line Plus, this is fine but there is a noticeable delay when the motor engages. It does not feel as natural as the Yamaha. The E+1 just feels like you are a super human but the Mavaro feels like you are pedaling and someone is pushing you. After having the belt and internal hub of the E+1 the Mavaro just feels cheap, less premium. Even the parts on it like the light and chain guard feel cheap. And don't get me started on how useless it is to try and use the Bosch un-assisted. It's like pedaling through mud. The E+1 I spend half the time riding it with assist off, no issues. I read there is something something gearing drag blah blah. I am a layman but it feels badman with assist off. E+1 also has a really neat auto assist mode that will adapt to changing conditions and grade.

Both the Giant and Canondale claim to have 400wh batteries but I have ridden my fat butt on the same 42 mile route several times with both the Giant and Cannondale on the same assist level (100%). I come out of the ride with 2 bars left on the Giant but one time the Cannondale battery ran out with 2 miles to go! The second time I had 1 bar left on the battery but I was sweating bullets hoping it would hold out. I am unsure if the giant battery actually has slightly more capacity or not. Given my experience with the bosch un-assisted I am inclined to believe the yamaha is just more efficient.

I bought the E+1 a few months ago and it turned out that the Adams trail-a-bike is not a good fit with the rack mount battery on the E+1 which is why we got the cannondale, the trail-a-bike fits with the stem mount battery. Unless you have a specific constraint that the E+1 cannot meet (e.g. short with trail-a-bike) I cannot speak more highly of the E+1. At hundreds of dollars less it feels hundreds of dollars more premium.

IMO bosch is fine but their popularity is marketing driven, Yamaha seems to be making the best drive on the market right now.

Back