LaFree +1 Auto Mode?

RLB2444

I keep reading small bits about an "AUTO MODE" that manages the application of power to the bike more efficiently. There is a claim that it is programmed to adjust the battery power delivery. I cannot figure out how you get the +1 into this auto mode.

If anyone knows I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Bob

Dave...thank you. When you first turn the module on the power LEDS are not glowing until you press the UP button. If you press and hold the DOWN button there is a small light that comes on between the Up and Down controls. I rode it around the block several times and I could tell that it was smoothing out the transfer of power. I had it in 7th gear most of the time and it didn't appear to have to punch that I was accustomed to when in the highest power level. I need to test it more. I thought that it would eliminate the need to change gears but didn't feel that way.

Thanks you very much....very helpful.

Bob

Dave...thank you. When you first turn the module on the power LEDS are not glowing until you press the UP button. If you press and hold the DOWN button there is a small light that comes on between the Up and Down controls.

I got to ride my wife's Giant LaFree E+ 2 yesterday and tried out the auto mode. When you are at 0 power, pushing down will enter it; you don't need to hold the button.

I rode it around the block several times and I could tell that it was smoothing out the transfer of power. I had it in 7th gear most of the time and it didn't appear to have to punch that I was accustomed to when in the highest power level. I need to test it more. I thought that it would eliminate the need to change gears but didn't feel that way.

It generally gives a middle level of power on level ground, but increases power if you are accelerating or going up hill which is nice. It can sense the slope, but not your gear, so while it won't eliminate the need to change gears, it should reduce them.

One thing I did notice is that it wasn't always stable. Sometimes I would be riding along on level ground and have the power increase and then decrease, only to increase a few seconds later. That was a bit annoying.

Thank you Greg.
I didn’t ride enough to make absolute statements but I plan to have a better feel tomorrow. My gut feeling is that you are spot on.

Bob

I got to ride my wife's Giant LaFree E+ 2 yesterday and tried out the auto mode. When you are at 0 power, pushing down will enter it; you don't need to hold the button.

It generally gives a middle level of power on level ground, but increases power if you are accelerating or going up hill which is nice. It can sense the slope, but not your gear, so while it won't eliminate the need to change gears, it should reduce them.

One thing I did notice is that it wasn't always stable. Sometimes I would be riding along on level ground and have the power increase and then decrease, only to increase a few seconds later. That was a bit annoying.

That would get annoying pretty quick!

Just curious, when did your wife get that bike and do you know if the firmware ever got updated? I know Giant does firmware updates but I forget if you can do it through their smartphone app or if you have to take it in to a shop.

Purchased a LaFree E+1 for my partner. It was delivered from Giant’s NJ warehouse mid Sept. 2019 and so far the Auto mode works flawless. I’ll check the software version but I’m currently out of town but back home tomorrow. Maybe some one on the forum knows the latest software version number?

Just curious, when did your wife get that bike and do you know if the firmware ever got updated? I know Giant does firmware updates but I forget if you can do it through their smartphone app or if you have to take it in to a shop.

She got it a couple of weeks ago. We haven't tried updating the firmware.

I had some time this morning to ride in AUTO mode. I did most of my ride in gear 6 & 7. It appears to me that the gears are more spread out in AUTO mode. I can stay in each gear longer than when out of AUTO mode. In non-auto 8th gear I frequently see 25mph on the GPS. In AUTO I was not able to get it past 19mph. Still toying with it but not sure I will use AUTO regularly.

I keep reading small bits about an "AUTO MODE" that manages the application of power to the bike more efficiently. There is a claim that it is programmed to adjust the battery power delivery. I cannot figure out how you get the +1 into this auto mode.

Thanks,
Bob

I have the LaFree +1.

The Auto Mode

To engage it:

-Once powered up
-Press Down on the LOWER Assist Level Button until you are at ZERO assist.
-Then, One more press brings on the Auto Mode.
-Signified by a Light in the Middle (see arrow below).
-To Return to regular Assist, Press on the UPPER Assist Level Button, till you achieve the Assist Level you wish.

1565488363047.png

Craig :cool:

Thank you Craig. Finally got it figured out last night and it works exactly as you have described and illustrated. Curious if you use the AUTO mode very often?
Bob

Thank you Craig. Finally got it figured out last night and it works exactly as you have described and illustrated. Curious if you use the AUTO mode very often?
Bob

My usual ride starts out with a stretch of Down Hill, then on to level pedaling for a little while,
so I don't even turn things on until I feel like being spoiled, and knowing there are hills coming up.

From then on, I use Auto Mode exclusively. Once in a while I will switch to a specific Assist Level (just to compare), but I inevitably go back to Auto.
It just feels like it works better, to me.
Maybe I will find a reason, in the future, to change, but I haven't found it yet.
Also, I think proper Gear Shifting is beneficial.
That being said, both my Wife & I have found Gear 5 to be a Sweet Spot when in Auto Mode.

We appreciate the LaFree bikes, and their Yamaha motor a lot (at our age mid 60's), because we are wanting that little bit of work the rider must put out to propel these bikes.............. it ain't no scooter.🛵

Craig 😎

Last edited:

Thanks,
Bob

I took an extensive test ride

Thanks,
Bob

I took an extensive test ride and really liked the auto mode, but upon returning to the shop I was talking to their head bike mechanic and he highly recommended even if you use the auto mode to continually shift gears he said he has seen far too many people come in that leave the bike in one particular gear and it creates maintenance issues down the road. He said far too many people were relying too heavily just on PAS. He said to shift as if you were on a traditional bike and use assist as necessary.

Greg...I experienced the same thing. I also noticed that my legs got sore after using AUTO for a 10 mile ride. Not a bad thing but definitely requires more energy.

My usual ride starts out with a stretch of Down Hill, then on to level pedaling for a little while,
so I don't even turn things on until I feel like being spoiled, and knowing there are hills coming up.

From then on, I use Auto Mode exclusively. Once in a while I will switch to a specific Assist Level (just to compare), but I inevitably go back to Auto.
Maybe I will find a reason, in the future, to change, but I haven't found it yet.
That being said, both my Wife & I have found Gear 5 to be a Sweet Spot when in Auto Mode.

We appreciate the LaFree bikes, and their Yamaha motor a lot (at our age mid 60's), because we are wanting that little bit of work the rider must put out to propel these bikes.............. it ain't no scooter.🛵

Craig 😎

Craig 😎

Craig....I have mild arthritis in my hands but seldom bothers me that much. However the grip shift on the +1 really bothered my thumb. Gloves helped but not much. I discussed this with the Trek dealer and he suggested that I exchange the OEM shifter to a MicroShift SL-N758 Right Side for Nexus 8 Speed Rear unit. He made the exchange for me and I love it. Shifting is much easier and faster. Also it is more intuitive to use when stop pedaling shift and engage action.

Reactions: CSH
Craig....I have mild arthritis in my hands but seldom bothers me that much. However the grip shift on the +1 really bothered my thumb. Gloves helped but not much. I discussed this with the Trek dealer and he suggested that I exchange the OEM shifter to a MicroShift SL-N758 Right Side for Nexus 8 Speed Rear unit. He made the exchange for me and I love it. Shifting is much easier and faster. Also it is more intuitive to use when stop pedaling shift and engage action.

Cool !
I am going to look into that, especially for my wife.

Was the install simple ?

Craig :cool:

Craig.....here's the link to the shifter. I did a search for the install manual and couldn't find. Will keep looking. I wasn't there when they installed it but will ask them tomorrow when I go. I will let you know.

Reactions: CSH
RLB, We have two E+ 1 bikes, always in AUTO unless we know we will be on flat terrain for a long time, then we just use pedal assist level 1. In our 60's, want just a little exercise. 😅

Concerning Greg's comment: "
He said to shift as if you were on a traditional bike and use assist as necessary" that is the absolute truth. Just like cars with manual transmissions, you wouldn't start out in a high gear. That puts a lot of torque on our little E+ 1 electric motor. Going up steep hills, keep the bike in the same gear you would use if you didn't have torque assist (2nd, or even 1st). No need to try to go 20 mph up hill. Your battery and motor will last a long time and give you the proper response in AUTO mode if you remember to shift gears when necessary. Starting in 4th gear on flat terrain is acceptable.

cheers!

Back