KTM is seeking eBike ambassadors

They are in the brochure, and I even have one sitting at home, or are you just talking US market?

I'd lnk to them, but I'm in France tonight and sadly only have limited access.

Federico said the macina line did not have the dynamo wheel, maybe that is only for the ambassador program i dont know. i do know that those i have communicated with are not real tech savy and dont know a lot about the lighting and electrical connections or the display operation. other web sites say the display can be programmed to operate the lighting but i have not found any detailed description of wiring connections to the motor for lighting and searching the web is sucking the life out of me

If you need a riding partner, let me know. I ride the Almaden Quicksilver trails and have been looking at crossing over Hicks road to Mt.Umunum as a goal to do one day too.

-Phuong
I will pm you. Warning though, I'm not very fast, but it would good Too buddy up.

Federico said the macina line did not have the dynamo wheel, maybe that is only for the ambassador program i dont know. i do know that those i have communicated with are not real tech savy and dont know a lot about the lighting and electrical connections or the display operation. other web sites say the display can be programmed to operate the lighting but i have not found any detailed description of wiring connections to the motor for lighting and searching the web is sucking the life out of me

Which motor are your referring to? There is lots of info on the Bosch system.

Here is a discussion:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bosch-lighting-connection-whereabouts.13998/

hope nothing has changed since 2012. it seems to me that a ktm rep would be knowledgeable of the things, i mean lots of riders use lights and most of us like lights that turn on with a switch and dont have to recharged

I noticed that thread was a little old after I posted, sorry about that. But I talked to my LBS and they said it is a firmware update to my 2014 Active line. I took the covers of the motor and you can see the plugs for the lights.

I use a USB rechargeable light and I can connect it to the USB port on the head unit. (Which btw, required a firmware update to enable the USB port!)

i really like the new bosch systems and the ktm ambassador program but... i dont want to spend $4000 for a bike that is not complete and has the latest equipment ie lights installed, 500 wh battery (which is advertised and available now) and the performance cx motor. i dont want to have to redo the bike after i get it being complete from the LBS will enhance my warranty and any issues that may occur.

Both designs certainly have their merits, and owning both designs, I can confirm that neither should disappoint.

Hardtail V full suspension is very much a personal decision though, but my hardtail is my go to bike if that makes sense.

A few plus points of hardtail ownership are as follows.
  • They are easier to wash
  • They make better winter bikes
  • There is less to go wrong
  • Cheaper to maintain than full suspension bikes
  • Power delivery is more immediate
  • There is zero squat at the rear, which makes them more efficient at climbing
  • And if riding off road, you know exactly what the rear of the bike is doing
Obviously a full suspension bike is always going to be more comfortable and compliant, but you could always fit a suspension seat post if required.

The Macina Hardatil Cross range is very good, but if I am correct the bike that you are considering has the CX motor, and 400wh battery. The CX motor is quite a power hungry motor in respect of the battery, and it would be worth trying to either negotiate a deal to get a 500wh battery in place of the 400wh one, or if that isn't a possibility and the CX motor is the appealing feature, then maybe look at other models that have both.

I now have a CX motor fitted to both KTM's, but the Performance Line and Active Line, are still superb motors. In respect of the Active Line motor NoDTMF has one fitted to his KTM, and I recall him saying that it did want for more torque on certain climbs. Hopefully he will be along at some stage to advise further in that respect.

I really loved the Performance line motor when I had it, and off road, never once found it lacking, and even on my very limited road riding, it performed brilliantly. The only hindrance being that my bikes are not set up for road use, and in the case of the Lycan, each tyre weighs a hefty 2.7lbs each!

I reviewed a Panasonic Cross hardtail some time back, and found that it was real pleasure to ride on road, and whilst it only had Schwalbe Marathon tyres fitted, it coped very well with dry grass slopes, and dry trails. Obviously it was never going to a full on mtb with the set up that it had, but I was still kind of sad to see it go.

One final quick comment in relation to KTM frame sizing, the frames seem to edge on the side of being small. Please make sure that you get the right frame size to suit you.

Sadly I have to shoot off now, so have to cut things short, but I'm going to watch this with interest.

Any idea if the Monarch RL-C2 has a lockout on the Macina Lycan? From what I can tell is does but someone told me it did not. If it did I would go with the FS and use the lockout while on the road or fire roads, etc. That may be my best bet to get the best of both worlds. I have read though people rarely use their lockouts. Im not a mountain biker so maybe you can help me out on whether thats an option and worth it or not. Thanks

Being away, I seem to be very limited on what I can view at the moment, it might pay to look at the SRAM site, or even YouTube.

I have been using my lock out on almost every ride here in Switzerland. It makes so much difference, but it is amazing how many people on FS bikes out here that don't, and you just watch them bobbing up and down with every pedal stroke. Certainly not an efficient way to ride and climb.

I don't mind saying. I will mainly be commuting with it so I was thinking the Macina Cross 10 CX4. With that being said I have a Pedego City Commuter now so I may opt for the MTB model. Just not sure if I want to spring for full suspension or just go hardtail. Considering I highly doubt I will be a hardcore mountain biker, I may just go hardtail. That gives me the option of using it to commute and go off-road.
Did you buy the cross c4x 10?
Only ask as I have just bought one...love it but have a few questions?
Joel

I did not. Ended up going with an MTB instead.

Thanks for the reply...don't blame you - they are rock solid and nice paintwork. ..my next may be mtb like my non electric. Just so I can throw it around offroad more than my cross bike...which one did you go for?

Eddie, I have a Haibike FS RX that I really love. Mine don't get worked 10% of what your riding does. Mostly all paved bike paths (Super Moto X street tires on it most of the time) and some easy, flat off road trails. I hate cleaning bikes after mudding, so I don't do it.
I was accepted to the KTM ambassador promotion, but I"m having a hard time seeing any advantage to any of the 4 Ebikes sold here versus my Haibike for my easy riding.
Especially since the Haibike is paid for, the KTM will still cost 3k+ and they're both Bosch setups.
The Hai was my "lust" bike that I really wanted when I first discovered Ebikes, but didn't want to pay for. Had 3 others when mine showed up as a demo for $2k and I had to jump. Now it's what I ride all the time despite other options.
Seems like maybe the KTM is a more hard core offroad bike, but not gonna make any difference with what I ride. I like having the best, but sometimes really good is enough.
Would you agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
MLB what I am unsure of, is what does being a KTM Ambassador actually mean/entail?

KTM Bike Industries UK are highly active, both by offering support, engaging in forum topics, online advice, and prompt efficient service*. They are also highly pro active in respect of social media ie Facebook and Instagram.
I see KTM USA as currently being flat as pancake, and from I can see they seem to lack total drive, and I'm not certain that I'd want to be pushing my hard earned money in their direction. For several reasons that have no bearing upon this thread, I am not a fan of Haibike and would never buy another, but in defence of Haibike USA, they appear to be very motivated and pro active, just in the same way as KTM are over here in the UK.

Personally I think that as you are very happy with your Haibike, it would seem daft to switch brands, loose money selling your bike, and then have to fork out over and above for something else. We all like change, and I guess that it is human nature to be chasing the next thing, but until the day that your bike falls apart or that you get sick of the colour, stick with what you have. :)

* most recent example, removing rear mech hanger for me from a stock bike, just so that I could have a spare for the Swiss trip. It would have only been a one day wait for one to come in, but they wanted to make sure that I wasn't without.

Hey @EddieJ

I don't understand the context of the following:

"* most recent example, removing rear mech hanger for me from a stock bike, just so that I could have a spare for the Swiss trip. It would have only been a one day wait for one to come in, but they wanted to make sure that I wasn't without."

This is not a part you would order from KTM right? I was interpreting it as if KTM was slow for getting parts or something...?

Over here you can either order parts via a shop or direct, with the parts being sent out from the nearest dealer.

It is a very efficient service, and no, there are no long delays or waiting for parts. KTM just wanted to make sure that I had the mech hanger the next day from ordering, rather than waiting one further day for new stock to come in. They had assumed that I needed it urgently, and didn't want to see me left unable to ride.

MLB what I am unsure of, is what does being a KTM Ambassador actually mean/entail?

KTM Bike Industries UK are highly active, both by offering support, engaging in forum topics, online advice, and prompt efficient service*. They are also highly pro active in respect of social media ie Facebook and Instagram.
I see KTM USA as currently being flat as pancake, and from I can see they seem to lack total drive, and I'm not certain that I'd want to be pushing my hard earned money in their direction. For several reasons that have no bearing upon this thread, I am not a fan of Haibike and would never buy another, but in defence of Haibike USA, they appear to be very motivated and pro active, just in the same way as KTM are over here in the UK.

Personally I think that as you are very happy with your Haibike, it would seem daft to switch brands, loose money selling your bike, and then have to fork out over and above for something else. We all like change, and I guess that it is human nature to be chasing the next thing, but until the day that your bike falls apart or that you get sick of the colour, stick with what you have. :)

* most recent example, removing rear mech hanger for me from a stock bike, just so that I could have a spare for the Swiss trip. It would have only been a one day wait for one to come in, but they wanted to make sure that I wasn't without.

They give you a nice price break on a bike and some gear. Give you some gear and discounts in exchange for online reviews and such. After looking at their bikes, I have to agree with your, for what I'm riding there just isn't anything that would be an improvement. I passed. Love my Hai.

Thanks for the reply...don't blame you - they are rock solid and nice paintwork. ..my next may be mtb like my non electric. Just so I can throw it around offroad more than my cross bike...which one did you go for?

Somehow I missed this. Sorry. I haven't been around or paying to much attn lately. I've been riding while I can before the snow flys. I ended up getting the Machine Force 29. So far I love it although I had one issue that KTM quickly addressed.

Back