Kona Jake Conversion to an e-bike

DuckMtnDick

Region
Canada
DuckMtnDick Here. I’m looking to convert my Kona Jake to a ebike. Because, I’m a 71 yr old 230 pound guy who has now a more on off knee aching and asthma also on off. I’m looking to commute, tow my Yak trailer in the city and at the cottage 25 miles round trip to the store.
Definitely looking mid motor and most likely Bafang. My son in law is a year round cyclist and a mechanic, so I have help. Interested in all thoughts
Thanks

Kona Jake
If I read the specifications correctly and it's a BSA/English Threaded bottom bracket a BBS01B or BBS02B would be a good choice. Which depends on your compliance with your local laws. IMO a BBSHD would me massive overkill. I have ridden and have a new BBS01B 36V 500W and it carries my fat arse faster than I typically want to ride. 20-22MPH. In my 70's as well. I still have a BBS01(A) 36V 350W. It's a 20MPH bike too.

If I read the specifications correctly and it's a BSA/English Threaded bottom bracket a BBS01B or BBS02B would be a good choice. Which depends on your compliance with your local laws. IMO a BBSHD would me massive overkill. I have ridden and have a new BBS01B 36V 500W and it carries my fat arse faster than I typically want to ride. 20-22MPH. In my 70's as well. I still have a BBS01(A) 36V 350W. It's a 20MPH bike too.
OOPS! I always forget until my friend pedaluma jumps in. A TSDZ2 mid-drive would give you torque sensing.

Welcome! Ask your son-in-law about adding a riser stem. With a mid-drive wind resistance is not as much a factor, so there is not as much need to tuck. That is nicer on your lower back. The thing is that it is harder to do, with less margin, when hydraulics are involved. Yes, do check local laws. This is not really a problem unless there is an accident and investigation. 350W would be more than enough.

It is posable to have a thumb throttle and a torque sensing accelerator between the pedals. It acts like a power meter that pros use to train. Those cost about $900. When you pedal harder the motor gives you more. It is very intuitive. These motors are under $400 delivered in 3 days within the US. I am not sure about Canada.

Welcome! Ask your son-in-law about adding a riser stem.
Being a gimp and unable to assume a road bike position I opted for crank forward frames like the Townie. I kitted my first flat foot frame with a 350W mid-drive and one with a TSDZ2. SUPER comfortable.

KHS Smoothie crank forward
2F31A643-3181-42A8-8486-7344CC7B4F9D.jpeg
small frame TSDZ2.

Thanks

Back