Known Issues & Problems with TranzX Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric mid drive motors from TranzX as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

My wife's 2016 iZip E3 Vibe+ has the TransX mid-drive motor. After about 200 miles the motor went bad. The reps at Currie didn't seem too surprised. It was replaced under warranty and Currie provided excellent customer service. There have been no problems with the replacement motor. I bought her a 2017 Raleigh Sprite IE as a second bike, which is almost identical to the iZip. It has the same motor but they have apparently fixed the problem, as she has had no issues with that one.

This is the Izip E3 protour 2016.
My motor went out again this week. It was not electronic this time. A grinding in the motor. When I contacted my dealer and Chawn from Accell, the dealer told me they just put out a recall for these motors. He had the new motor in his store the next day.
I picked up the bike and rode it today.
All I can say is WOW what a difference. The shifts between gears is so much smoother. I was easily able to get the bike speed up to 28MPH even when I was not in the lowest gear. It is like getting a new bicycle again it is that much different.
When I turn the bicycle "on" it does not go through a smart-up sequence that it used to. It is just ready to ride.
Hopefully this finally solves the issues.

I have a 2016 Raleigh Sprite with about 1600 miles use on it. One day on start it shurged, stalled, and shut down Turned it back on but it just flashed error codes 800 and 801. Then would not run. Took it to a Raleigh dealer who put in a new motor and reprogrammed it. Now on starting using the power assist it stutters heavily for the first 20 feet or more acting like it has no power. Then finally smoothing out and runs normal. As the ride progresses the stutter gets shorter until toward the end of the ride, 15 to 20 miles, it starts smoothly with no stutter. Next ride after a full recharge overnight the stutter issue is back. Currently bike is back at the dealer awaiting a visit from a factory rep.

Has anybody had this problem? If so was it resolved?

Bob, the 2016 motors seem to be the ones with problems. Was your replacement motor a 2016 or 2017?

I assume they replaced it with a 2016 motor as that is the bike year. Is there any way of telling the year and model of the unit currently on the bike?

There is probably a way to tell by the serial number, but I would call their support folks and have a discussion with them. That worked very well for me.

My wife's 2016 iZip E3 Vibe+ has the TransX mid-drive motor. After about 200 miles the motor went bad. The reps at Currie didn't seem too surprised. It was replaced under warranty and Currie provided excellent customer service. There have been no problems with the replacement motor. I bought her a 2017 Raleigh Sprite IE as a second bike, which is almost identical to the iZip. It has the same motor but they have apparently fixed the problem, as she has had no issues with that one.
My wife and I bought the Raleigh Cadent ie in August 2018 ( class 3 - 28mph). Great bike, surprinsingly powerful for a quoted 350watts motor. After 2000 km (I am canadian) the motor started to grind and vibrate. Brought it back for replacement under warranty. Took 6 weeks to get the parts from Raleigh, but it was in January-February so I did not missed the bike too much. New motor was installed, raleigh software installed, and I am back on the bike and pleased with the new motor. Saldy after only 300 km, the grinding/vibration is coming back. The bike also gave me a LOBAT error message today. Which I assume translate to low battery since it refused to provide any e-assistance. My battery was full so I installed it on my wife's back and went to work without problem (32 km round trip at full assist). My average speed going to work is 40km/h (25 mph) and the road are rough, pretty bumpy, pot holes, etc... So my bike doesn't have an easy life. Is this a known issue with the Currie / Transx ebikes?

Any chance your bike was a 2016 model? So far, our 2017 Raleigh TransX motor has been fine and the replacement 2017 TransX motor on the 2016 iZip has also given us no problems.

Back