Known Issues & Problems with Shimano STePS Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from Shimano, their STePS system, as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

One of my eMTBs is a "Motobecane" HAL eBoost Pro, which now has about 300 trail miles on it.

Around 250 miles, I started hearing a background "chattering" from the Steps e8000 motor, but there's been no change in performance etc. Has anyone else has heard anything like this? Any clues what it might be and/or remedies besides "official" servicing? It might be very hard to find a Shimano motor mechanic anywhere near me...

Also, I used the eTube app to change the default Trail and Boost mode settings when I first got the bike, but ever since, when I try to log in, it keeps telling me my PIN is wrong and there seems to be no way to reset it (I believe I've tried every PIN I might have used). Has anyone encountered this?

I also had the same experience with the password. I got into the system one time. I did not change the password or mess with anything I was just checking it out and have not been able to access it since.

As far as motor chatter I have not experienced that and I have just under 1000 miles on my bike.

I am having a new thing started last night. My bike will make a random extended beep but there is no error message or nothing. It is very anything however to be riding along and suddenly beeeeeep very loud. in my settings, I have muted the beep sound so I have no idea what this is from. The previous day I did ride through a lot of water and dust but the bike rides fine. Any clue?

I also had the same experience with the password. I got into the system one time. I did not change the password or mess with anything I was just checking it out and have not been able to access it since.

As far as motor chatter I have not experienced that and I have just under 1000 miles on my bike.

I am having a new thing started last night. My bike will make a random extended beep but there is no error message or nothing. It is very anything however to be riding along and suddenly beeeeeep very loud. in my settings, I have muted the beep sound so I have no idea what this is from. The previous day I did ride through a lot of water and dust but the bike rides fine. Any clue?
Nada clue, from me at least... sorry. Let me know if you find out what's causing it, especially if you discover a Steps motor expert - they seem to be few and far between. Shimano themselves never responded to my queries.

I sold my Motobecane w/e8000 and moved up to a Commencal MetaPower, also Steps-equipped. Before I sold the HAL, though, I bought Shimano's PC linkage device, the SM-PCE1. With it, I was able to go in an re-set the eTube password, but then had problems with eTube's Bluetooth connection. I've heard a few worse horror stories about the app, like this one...

The direct-connect SM-PCE1, however, has been flawless for me, doing firmware updates, motor power adjustments, etc. No password required! It even provides a report shows how many charge cycles I've done and remaining battery capacity. It's kind of like the dealer-exclusive Bosch updating system, but available to end-users via multiple vendors. It lists at about $200, though I got mine on sale ($120) from Blue Sky Cycling; unfortunately they're out of stock right now.

IMO it's worth the money. I won't use the phone app on my Commencal - I'm too scared of bricking my bike!

Last edited:
Well thank you for the quick reply and the info it was most helpful. I was looking at that SM-PCE1 and was on the fence but with your helpful review my decision is made. Im sorry to hear about your motobecane. I was watching some you tube vids and I noticed that there were a lot of people in vids and forums that have had nothing but problems with that same bike (most of them in Europe). I have heard nothing but great things about the Commencal So good choice there.

After posting my message I went out and finally washed the mud and dust off of my bike and wouldn't you know that when my bike was clean the beeping stopped so maybe that was the "wash me" error code and did some serious derailer adjustments and went for a ride and no beep. I love it when that happens. You know what they say a clean bike( and or car or whatever) runs best.

Have you de-restircted your Steps 8000? I did and man was it worth the $150. I have enjoyed my bike even more since adding the chip (I have info if interested) I used the pear-tune from ebay. It took 20 min to install and there's no going back for me now. It does nothing really in eco but trails and boost it just takes the ceiling away. It is worth the battery drain for me anyway.

Well anyway thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Remember to keep the rubber side down and happy trails.

Nada clue, from me at least... sorry. Let me know if you find out what's causing it, especially if you discover a Steps motor expert - they seem to be few and far between. Shimano themselves never responded to my queries.

I sold my Motobecane w/e8000 and moved up to a Commencal MetaPower, also Steps-equipped. Before I sold the HAL, though, I bought Shimano's PC linkage device, the SM-PCE1. With it, I was able to go in an re-set the eTube password, but then had problems with eTube's Bluetooth connection. I've heard a few worse horror stories about the app, like this one...

The direct-connect SM-PCE1, however, has been flawless for me, doing firmware updates, motor power adjustments, etc. No password required! It even provides a report shows how many charge cycles I've done and remaining battery capacity. It's kind of like the dealer-exclusive Bosch updating system, but available to end-users via multiple vendors. It lists at about $200, though I got mine on sale ($120) from Blue Sky Cycling; unfortunately they're out of stock right now.

IMO it's worth the money. I won't use the phone app on my Commencal - I'm too scared of bricking my bike!

Thanks for the recommendation on the SM-PCE1.

Back