Known Issues & Problems with Ride1Up Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I wrote them and they said the torque sensor is on all LMT'D bikes.
I get my ST this Friday so I'll post if it isn't.
It is on all the LMT'D bikes being sold now. But that was not the case when I made that post MONTHS AGO last spring! It took them a while to get all of the cadence sensor models sold.

It is on all the LMT'D bikes being sold now. But that was not the case when I made that post MONTHS AGO last spring! It took them a while to get all of the cadence sensor models sold.
I was confused if it did or not when looking at the LMT'D. Some reviews said it doesn't and some said it did but no one said they knew for sure what it came with.
R1U just said all LMT'S come with torque sensor but they didn't say when they started doing that.
So sorry if I sounded like I know what I'm talking about. UTube are sometimes hard to separate the truth from fiction. I'm the first to admit I'm a noob to Ebikes but I'm learning something every time I touch it.

I was confused if it did or not when looking at the LMT'D. Some reviews said it doesn't and some said it did but no one said they knew for sure what it came with.
R1U just said all LMT'S come with torque sensor but they didn't say when they started doing that.
So sorry if I sounded like I know what I'm talking about. UTube are sometimes hard to separate the truth from fiction. I'm the first to admit I'm a noob to Ebikes but I'm learning something every time I touch it.
It's good you're alert for discrepancies and some confusion is understandable.
The Lm'td is a great bike to learn on. I did. It's relatively simple. The tools required are paid for in a year or two - doing your own work - and knowledge is priceless power.
I don't know what I want if I don't understand it.
It's why I'm prepared to wreck stuff. To not repeat mistakes we have to err. Tear down, rebuild better.
Stay determined. I salute your enthusiasm.
-
We can't accurately say why R1U discontinued the Torque Sensors.
Most work well. According to my conversations with R1U staff (thanks Olympia - and all the rest. You're an awesome crew !!!), the biggest danger's improper removal and/ or installation - without following R1U's specific instructions to a tee.
The sensor wires thread out of the lower battery compartment, down through a small hole, into the bottom bracket and the sensor.
If you rotate the sensor at all, you'll shear the wires (snip) and the TS is likely ruined.
I had a wiring issue causing intermittent TS symptoms. It was actually the Display cable's plug had a bad contact.
Drove me nuts.
Contacted R1U insisting it was the TS and they gave me a nice education (stressing the dangers of disassembly).
Took it all apart and put back together. Wires were fine.
Any number of things can appear to be a defective TS - but that are not the issue.
There was one guy, three TS's in a row, installed by an LBS and all three failed. A well known member here (ripped the words outta of my craw) told him 'change LBS's'. What are the odds? Getting close to the definition of insanity. Perhaps the initial problem had nothing to do with the TS.
At any rate, trade; supply; defect problems, we don't know, but R1U discontinued the TS.
Apparently, R1U resolved the issue and began installing TS's again - liquidated the Cadence Sensor bikes on hand and I don't believe any more are being made.
As a rule, I observe people who ride distance prefer cadence, and City - stop and go - riders, torque sensors.
CS are more for strong bicyclist types, set a pace and hold it like a machine. Years of riding, switching to an eBike, naturally they have the stamina and muscle developed. TS has has a more universal appeal, esp. for new riders. Now, many higher end bikes come with both.
It's certainly not manufacturers pumping TS as a feature driving the popularity. They're the more complex and expensive of the two assist systems. It's the convenience of relatively 'right now power' vs. 'in a quarter turn power'.
A huge influx of new riders. Here and there last year, they're everywhere now. They'll set the standard.

Ride on

FnF

It's good you're alert for discrepancies and some confusion is understandable.
The Lm'td is a great bike to learn on. I did. It's relatively simple. The tools required are paid for in a year or two - doing your own work - and knowledge is priceless power.
I don't know what I want if I don't understand it.
It's why I'm prepared to wreck stuff. To not repeat mistakes we have to err. Tear down, rebuild better.
Stay determined. I salute your enthusiasm.
-
We can't accurately say why R1U discontinued the Torque Sensors.
Most work well. According to my conversations with R1U staff (thanks Olympia - and all the rest. You're an awesome crew !!!), the biggest danger's improper removal and/ or installation - without following R1U's specific instructions to a tee.
The sensor wires thread out of the lower battery compartment, down through a small hole, into the bottom bracket and the sensor.
If you rotate the sensor at all, you'll shear the wires (snip) and the TS is likely ruined.
I had a wiring issue causing intermittent TS symptoms. It was actually the Display cable's plug had a bad contact.
Drove me nuts.
Contacted R1U insisting it was the TS and they gave me a nice education (stressing the dangers of disassembly).
Took it all apart and put back together. Wires were fine.
Any number of things can appear to be a defective TS - but that are not the issue.
There was one guy, three TS's in a row, installed by an LBS and all three failed. A well known member here (ripped the words outta of my craw) told him 'change LBS's'. What are the odds? Getting close to the definition of insanity. Perhaps the initial problem had nothing to do with the TS.
At any rate, trade; supply; defect problems, we don't know, but R1U discontinued the TS.
Apparently, R1U resolved the issue and began installing TS's again - liquidated the Cadence Sensor bikes on hand and I don't believe any more are being made.
As a rule, I observe people who ride distance prefer cadence, and City - stop and go - riders, torque sensors.
CS are more for strong bicyclist types, set a pace and hold it like a machine. Years of riding, switching to an eBike, naturally they have the stamina and muscle developed. TS has has a more universal appeal, esp. for new riders. Now, many higher end bikes come with both.
It's certainly not manufacturers pumping TS as a feature driving the popularity. They're the more complex and expensive of the two assist systems. It's the convenience of relatively 'right now power' vs. 'in a quarter turn power'.
A huge influx of new riders. Here and there last year, they're everywhere now. They'll set the standard.

Ride on

FnF
Thank you for filling in the blanks.
I see you have been adding your own mods to improve the bike. I don't see any one bike that's perfect and can't be improved. Mine came with a headlight but I wish it also came with the read lite which I believe is more important to me. I'm glad that they are coming with at least a light. As I get to know the bike more I can see I'll be adding things for a long time.
From my short ride I'm totally impressed with ebike power. My 30lb mountain bike was never this powerful. I'm not a speedster but a cruiser. I like smelling the daisies rather than see a blur. So I'd like to see a couple hour ride out of it if possible.
The only thing I'm concerned about is the way it feels. It's just odd feeling. I'm accustomed using straight or drag bars so this one will take some time to get use to.
Nice thing about anything you have is the customization. I've heard people say that this looks ugly or why did you do that. My answer is.. if you like it, it's perfect.
I like working on my stuff. I like to know how it works and making it work as it should or better. Busy fingers and curious mind at work.
I appreciate all the info you have provided. I have learned a lot and I know I have a lot more to be learned. Thanks.
WM

Having moved on to a mid-drive, I'll miss my Lm'td. I learned everything on that bike. Ended up with Nth grade parts.
Dumped the auto, so I had no problem spending $1,000.00 a year and the research gave me an education.
I'll finish a few things up, put her on a San Diego CL listing and feel proud to provide the Limited Unleashed to an aficionado.
The 'early' Lm'td's pull 22amps (he, he). Newer, pull 20amps. Do the math. On full charge (50.7v - 54.6v) voltage, we pull near 1200watts !!!
I found the difference when I bought a new display. New firmware only went to 20A? Tried it and yes, 20% is missing from the power.

Like you, I appreciate all the info members have provided. Most of EBR is very informative, surpassing Endlessphere nowadays.
A great place to accelerate learning for me.

FnF

Having moved on to a mid-drive, I'll miss my Lm'td. I learned everything on that bike. Ended up with Nth grade parts.
Dumped the auto, so I had no problem spending $1,000.00 a year and the research gave me an education.
I'll finish a few things up, put her on a San Diego CL listing and feel proud to provide the Limited Unleashed to an aficionado.
The 'early' Lm'td's pull 22amps (he, he). Newer, pull 20amps. Do the math. On full charge (50.7v - 54.6v) voltage, we pull near 1200watts !!!
I found the difference when I bought a new display. New firmware only went to 20A? Tried it and yes, 20% is missing from the power.

Like you, I appreciate all the info members have provided. Most of EBR is very informative, surpassing Endlessphere nowadays.
A great place to accelerate learning for me.

FnF
Thanks. I'm finding that out. Lots of knowledge here.

Back