Known Issues & Problems with Orbea Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hi guys!

I have a weird issue with my Orbea Gain F35. Weird in the sense that I get no error codes, no flashing lights and nothing in the app but I can't change assist. Not via the tube-button or the the handlebar-button (handlebar works to power on bike and turn on lights, though). Anyone who's had this issue?

I bought the extended range battery had it for over six month it was working fine. Then all of sudden the main light started flashing pink . I would turn it off and on and it would work okay. Now when i turn on the battery the manin light turns pink. when I unplug the extendedy battery the pink light stops and clears. Is the problem with the ebike or the extended battery?
The pink light flashing indicates a voltage imbalance. Usually you can charge it out of this error or even ride it until it goes away. The exception to this is seems to be when using an extender.

I had a similar issue with my own DIY extended battery. It turned out to be that the main bike system was objecting to the extender battery voltage level being higher than the Bike Battery voltage level, It showed only 13% on the bike and would no charge up to 100% when the pink light was flashing. I had charged the DIY extender separately and not charged up the bike together with the extender.

When I tried to charge them both up together when the pink light was already flashing, the system would not charge past the 13% that the bike battery level had been. Out of desperation I just went and rode the bike with the DIY extender connected. I monitored the battery level on the ride and it remained at 13% level for a very long ride until near the end of the ride when the Extender battery was depleted enough that the main bike battery had to kick in and the level starting dropping. At that point the error light disappeared and after returning from the ride I could charge both the battery and the bike together to 100% without any error light appearing.

So in effect when you have pink light without an extender you can charge it or ride it out of the condition, but when it involves the extender you must ride it out of the condition by draining the extender down so it syncs with the bike.

In Conclusion:
I heard it stated that the bike can go to lower level than the extender level on steep hills and sometime so much so that you have to stop and let the bike battery charge up from the extender. However, it seems as if this level difference is too much you will get the pink flashing light. Draining the extender battery by riding it until the problem disappeared worked for me.

After a year the range extender on my ebike motion extender went pink on my Pinarello Dyodo gravel. I have since learned that you need to use it and charge it often or it dies. I did not use it on every ride. And Pinarello has a warehouse of 150 dead batteries in their warehouse. It would have been nice if they had told us that! My dealer hasn’t indicated that it will be replaced. Any of you want to get together on this issue or had the same? Jennifer

After a year the range extender on my ebike motion extender went pink on my Pinarello Dyodo gravel. I have since learned that you need to use it and charge it often or it dies. I did not use it on every ride. And Pinarello has a warehouse of 150 dead batteries in their warehouse. It would have been nice if they had told us that! My dealer hasn’t indicated that it will be replaced. Any of you want to get together on this issue or had the same? Jennifer
LiFe batteries should not be drained to low or left in high states all the time. The X 35 system will not allow it to get anywhere near that low. However, if you drain it on the bike and then leave it in long term storage without bringing it back up, it could eventually fail.

That being said...if you leave a fully charged battery alone without using it, it will drain very slowly and would take a year or more to get too low. If you want to leave a LiFe battery stored, Charge it to 50% and it will be good for a couple of months.

The problem I described in my earlier email happened on my wife's bike also. I accidently charged the Extender without charging the bike. I got the pink blinking light again so We just went out and rode and it operated normally with the level changes available when needed, but the level stayed at 48% while the fully changed extender ran down first.. When the level of the extender matched the main battery at 48%, they both began to sync up and drain down normally together and the pink light went out. After that they would both charge together normally without the pink light.

This at least works on my extender batteries that I custom build for both our bikes. Really never had a problem, but's it true that I leave the extender in all the time and just switch it on to turn on the bike. To turn off the bike, the extender is switched off and the bike then needs to be turned off also. The bike can be turned on and off independently, but the bike will always come on with the extender on. Also, if you leave the bike and extender on and stop for a break/coffee, ect...without riding, the bike will try to turn off automatically as it can't because the extender is keeping it on. This causes an error so the levels will not change when you try to ride again. At this point, I just turn off the extender and then the bike, then turn on the extender and the bike will come back on to reset and everything is good again.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I have a weird issue with my Orbea Gain F35. Weird in the sense that I get no error codes, no flashing lights and nothing in the app but I can't change assist. Not via the tube-button or the the handlebar-button (handlebar works to power on bike and turn on lights, though). Anyone who's had this issue?
I have an Orbea Gain F20, bought Mar 2020, with similar controls to yourself which up to now worked perfectly in parallel, both giving on/off , assist selection and Bluetooth connection to the App on my Apple 5s phone. Today, the top tube iWoc One has started behaving like yours, able to switch on/off only but not able to select Amber/red assists, the bar Trio still working perfectly luckily. Have you managed to get yours sorted and if so how or what was the fault please ?
Many thanks for any help you can give

Thanks Jaxx, that is what I'm doing, but whilst pressing on a flashing green it just stays flashing green and doesn't move up to orange, except it did once and stayed solid orange, on pressing again no flashing occurred.

If I turn off and start again, it reverts to green, press it and green flashes, press it again and stays flashing green - no change of assist level, but the bar controller does move on through the assist levels normally . Just wondering if anyone with the bar controller has this issue, or if it is supposed to be like this.
Swampy,
I have exactly the same symptoms just started on my Gain F20, everything fine with bar Trio but no assist level changes by top tube iWoc One, have you sorted yours and if so what was it please ?
Many thanks for any help

PBKA

Swampy,
I have exactly the same symptoms just started on my Gain F20, everything fine with bar Trio but no assist level changes by top tube iWoc One, have you sorted yours and if so what was it please ?
Many thanks for any help

PBKA
I had exactly that problem and the retailer had to get a replacement bar switch which solved the problem. I was informed however that the assist control was through the bar switch not the top tube and that the bike was programmed that way. You can get the top tube reprogrammed to be your switch of choice but apparently you can’t have both operating as assist level changers, it’s either one or the other.

My back wheel feels the same as yours. When I'm riding and start to freewheel, it feels like the brakes have been applied lightly. I want to coast down a hill, side by side with a non-ebike to see what difference there is... it feels like I'm coasting slower, but it could just be the "let-down" of taking off the motor-assist. I'm getting some Schwalbe tubeless 30mm tires tomorrow and that should improve the cushiness.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been reading a bit about these so-called "direct drive" hub motors, and apparently a certain amount of resistance is characteristic of them - most noticeably when they are freewheeling. So it sounds like that's what you identified as "motor drag" when the spinning the rear wheel.
Hi it’s true the rear wheel does have resistance it does not freewheel as good as a non ebike when not peddling motor not running
this is due to the motor but not the motor itself but internally there are 3 nylon reducing drive cogs
This is where the drag is
it is harder to peddle against a normal bike more noticeable at slower speeds with motor assistance off
Less of a problem on a carbon bike
More of a problem on aluminium bike

Hi AdrianS. Any news yet? My bike is booked into local Orbea dealer on Friday.
Hi, I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my Orbea Vibe that you and Adrian S describe. I bought it in March this year (2021). I was wondering whether the Orbea dealer you had booked into for a fix resulted in the problem being resolved? Regards GlynSee

Hi AdrianS. Any news yet? My bike is booked into local Orbea dealer on Friday.
Hi, I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my Orbea Vibe that you and Adrian S describe. I bought it in March this year (2021). I was wondering whether the Orbea dealer you had booked into for a fix resulted in the problem being resolved? Regards GlynSee

Hi guys. I have had my ORBEA VIBE for almost 1 year. I love the bike but I have two problems:

1. The front integrated light does not work anymore
2. The hardest gear does not work anymore

Did you experience similar issues? Can you please help me?

Hey just wanted to post a report of an issue and a fix with the PAS sensor. Last fall, I was periodically losing power to the motor on an Orbea Gain M20i, then the motor stopped working entirely a month ago. No errors showed in the (Android) Mahle app, and that app showed speed from the wheel moving. Since speed was recorded (even when indoors) I figured that both the magnets and PAS sensor were fine. But a local bike shop (in the QBP parts network which now does all Mahle repairs in the US) talked to QBP techs and replaced the PAS sensor anyway... now all works!?!? No torque values showed in the Mahle consumer app before or after, and it was the same in the Dealer app, which concerned the Local Bike shop tech, but he was told by QBP thats not abnormal!

So all very confusing. I was convinced that some internal torque sensor in the motor had failed due to the zero torque reading, and that it couldnt be the PAS sensor due to the speed reading... but apparently not the case. A partial PAS sensor failure then possibly??

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Orbea as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
Hallo. I sent away for a 2023 Orbea Urrun 40, electric mountain bike. Having set it up, and charged the battery, I was dismayed to find hardly any assistance while pedaling even on maximum assist. After 6kms of struggling the motor stopped completely and the screen went dead!
A computer diagnostic noted a faulty connection between the battery and motor. I am now negotiating its return to the dealer! Anyone else had this problem?

Back