Known Issues & Problems with Luna Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Luna as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

The Luna charger does not work properly with the Aventon 48V battery. When the battery is full, the device clicks on and off continuously. Luna said I should just unplug it when it starts doing this, but I wish to charge overnight and not be watching for it to be full. As well, when set to 80% charge, it charged the Aventon battery to 100%. Customer service has been short, and now they want me to send photos of the device before starting the return process. M patience is getting thin, but we'll see how it resolves...

Josh, as you know I'm having the same issue. I'll let you know how it works out for me.
Likewise. I am pretty sure they'll follow through. They've little to gain with bad publicity, and, given how bored I am having to stay home because of coronavirus, I've plenty of time to make a stink!

Before I contact their support, have they agreed to take it back, and if so who's paying to get it back to them?

They haven't explicitly agreed to anything. They, of course, should pay for return postage. I purchased using a VISA card so it is, if I'm required to file a claim, covered through VISA.

Did he tell you this?

Sure we can take the charger back if you want but just to let you know that behavior is completely normal and it's called trickle-charging.

It will disappear after charging the battery to 100% a few times. If you want to return it though please send me a couple pictures of the charger
and I'll let you know what's next

He didn't talk about "trickle-charging", but he did say he wanted photos of the charger and then he'll let me know what I'm supposed to do. I replied that photos were silly - it looks brand new, exactly like the one on their website picture, and will be returned in the same foam box. That was this morning, and I haven't heard back yet. Not sure what the deal is about photos... Delay tactic?

What a company. After much haggling, I finally got permission to return my charger. It was received at their location 9 days ago. I just contacted them to find out when I would get my credit and was told it could take a few weeks to process. That's B.S. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I returned my Luna charger a couple weeks ago and am still awaiting a refund as well. Yes, it is B.S., and hopefully they'll be in business long enough to give us our money back. I have my doubts.

So which was what? J.W.

"Sometimes, for those of us with too many thumbs and not a lot of repair experience, a local troubleshooter with maintenance/repair knowledge is a big benefit."

"My Luna 48V charger arrived and apparently it is incompatible with Aventon's battery. It will shut off and on and off and on and off and on etc when the battery reaches 100% charge (Luna recommended that I unplug it when the battery is full, as if I'm waiting around for it to be fully charged). It also charged the battery to 100% when set on 80%.
So I'm returning it. Customer service has been snippy and unhelpful so far (this is my fault??)."

Apparently, yes, I read no electrical measurement or troubleshooting by you or 'your local' here, just keystroking.
MV

So which was what? J.W.

"Sometimes, for those of us with too many thumbs and not a lot of repair experience, a local troubleshooter with maintenance/repair knowledge is a big benefit."

"My Luna 48V charger arrived and apparently it is incompatible with Aventon's battery. It will shut off and on and off and on and off and on etc when the battery reaches 100% charge (Luna recommended that I unplug it when the battery is full, as if I'm waiting around for it to be fully charged). It also charged the battery to 100% when set on 80%.
So I'm returning it. Customer service has been snippy and unhelpful so far (this is my fault??)."

Apparently, yes, I read no electrical measurement or troubleshooting by you or 'your local' here, just keystroking.
MV

I do not have a device to measure, and when Luna's follow-up response was that the machine behaves "differently" with non-Luna batteries [they told me to "just unplug it" when the machine starts endlessly turning on and off], I realized I had purchased an inconvenient charger for the battery I already own. Rather than back-and-forth with a non-local organization that offered cool assistance and whose product behaved differently than had been advertised, I thought it prudent to return the brand new item.

And that's how it went, all keystroked.

Myself? I'm confident I saved $90 returning a product that didn't operate as had been promised.

A multimeter is a needed tool IMO and IME! More than just reading voltage. Testing of brake cutouts and broken connections, and more. ANENG N302 from an Aliexpress seller would cost a mere $12. Auto-ranging auto-off. And More.

"That’s Luna. Good until there’s a problem!"

What problem TommyCod?

Brave Warrior: returning an electronic device that works.
They should send YOUR working charger back to you.

TRY retuning a functional device at any Bust Buy or W-Mart !

"That’s Luna. Good until there’s a problem!"

What problem TommyCod?

Brave Warrior: returning an electronic device that works.
They should send YOUR working charger back to you.

TRY retuning a functional device at any Bust Buy or W-Mart !

Repeat: Luna charger DOES NOT WORK as advertised with the Aventon Level battery. It charges to 100% when set to 80% unless the user unplugs it when the battery reaches 80% (and the device starts alternating endlessly between off and on for hours while it 'trickle charges' the 20% I didn't want charged).

Yes, it "works," just like a car can drive with flat tires or a bicycle with no brakes. But I prefer that my newly-purchased items work well and as advertised. [And I have no problem returning stuff at the stores you mention, but perhaps I just have an innocent-looking face 🤥)

I don't know if the incompatibility cuts across other batteries. Is Aventon's battery different than what Luna's design intended? (Luna indicated on the phone that the Aventon battery wasn't the only one that didn't charge as promoted.)

I did return the charger to Luna and received a refund, but had to wade through their poor customer service. They did not pay for return shipping, apparently blaming others for the charger's incompatibilities.

Has anyone here had an incompatibility issue with other than Aventon batteries?
I've charged RadPower and Evelo batteries with no problems.

Repeat: Luna charger DOES NOT WORK as advertised with the Aventon Level battery.
Where does Luna claim it will? That said I have several dead Luna chargers. Another coin toss product with a limited warranty, but compatibility is your problem, and research to do, not Luna's.

Back