Known Issues & Problems with E-Glide Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from E-Glide as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Got an SS-Glide Plus a bit over a month ago, great bike, Dave answered the phone when I called to buy it, very helpful, and the bike got to me quickly and in great shape. These aren't complaints, just a few observations that probably only apply to a total newbie like me:

(1) Maybe point out that a signature will be required when it is delivered. I work from home so it wasn't an issue - but many people don't so having someone around is a problem.
(2) The instructions for the front wheel quick release and the included bike computer could be clearer. Probably fine for 99% of users, but for a dolt like me I had to do some youtube searches to figure it out.
(3) The manual says to charge the battery fully each time you use it, but other posters say it's best to leave it at about 50-80% charge. Not a big deal, but is one or the other better? I charge the battery on the bike so it's not a problem, but removing it is a bit of a pain since it isn't a quick release battery.
(4) Since it has fairly narrow and high PSI tires and no suspension you do feel every single bump in the road. I made it a bit better by getting a suspension seat post, and it's just the nature of the beast, but next time I buy a bike I'll give up some efficiency and handling to get a slightly more comfortable ride.
(5) No place to attach a water bottle, so I had to get a pannier that could hold one. I knew this going in, but having water is such a big deal that it would be a huge plus if bosses could be included.

In spite of the above I think I made a good choice. The bike handles really well, and I like the fact that the battery and controller are not integrated into the frame since it makes future replacements/repairs a lot easier. The last ebike I had (iZip Enlightened) looked great with it's battery in the frame but now a few years latter when the battery has died it's next to impossible to find a replacement, iZip doesn't support it and no local bike shop will even look at it - so a bike that's in great shape except for the battery is going to the dump. The only things I've changed on the bike are the pedals (the ones that come with it are ok but have very little grip), added front and rear lights for safety purposes, a bell (lots of pedestrian and bike traffic here) and a suspension seat post. For the price this is a great bike from a great company. I've only put about 150 miles on it but so far not a single problem.

I got the Email Glide SS about ten days ago, and I have had a number of issues. I'm interested to see if anyone has thoughts or ideas. I've ridden it about 70 miles through these issues.

- From a mile out of the box, the throttle didn't work, which caused the whole bike to receive no power. I called up E Glide and they walked me through unplugging and testing electronics to determine the problem, which turned out to be the throttle. When that was unplugged, the motor worked. They shipped out a new throttle and walked me through installing it.

- During the period in which only the pedal assist was working and still now that the new throttle is installed, the motor cuts out frequently. This is usually brought on by stopping or more commonly hitting a bump in the trail/street. Yesterday, it was after a short steep climb. It doesn't appear to be because of velocity, as usually it's at 10 mph or less. Sometimes it will start for a second before cutting out again, sometimes there's just no power at all. Sometimes I can just freewheel for a few seconds and it reengages, but other times it will go a few minutes with no power and I have to stop, turn it off, and wait a little. On the way home today I could not get power for more than a second or two either through the throttle or pedal assist. It would not engage at all, other than some strained whirring for a few (1-10) seconds at a time.

It seems like the motor gets stressed and then stops working.

Grateful for any and all thoughts.

(1) Maybe point out that a signature will be required when it is delivered. I work from home so it wasn't an issue - but many people don't so having someone around is a problem.
(2) The instructions for the front wheel quick release and the included bike computer could be clearer. Probably fine for 99% of users, but for a dolt like me I had to do some youtube searches to figure it out.
(3) The manual says to charge the battery fully each time you use it, but other posters say it's best to leave it at about 50-80% charge. Not a big deal, but is one or the other better? I charge the battery on the bike so it's not a problem, but removing it is a bit of a pain since it isn't a quick release battery.
(4) Since it has fairly narrow and high PSI tires and no suspension you do feel every single bump in the road. I made it a bit better by getting a suspension seat post, and it's just the nature of the beast, but next time I buy a bike I'll give up some efficiency and handling to get a slightly more comfortable ride.
(5) No place to attach a water bottle, so I had to get a pannier that could hold one. I knew this going in, but having water is such a big deal that it would be a huge plus if bosses could be included.

I definitely had some similar thoughts to these points.

1 . Definitely glad I noticed this in the shipping details, had to plan to work from home for a day
2. Ditto on the bike computer. I ended up installing one from another bike, because I hate troubleshooting bike computers.
4. I notice this as well, particularly at higher speeds. The whole frame kind of rattles, and I wonder if it's contributed at all to my issues. But man, it's fun when it's zipping along. Feels very sleek.

Last edited:
Wow Conor, that sucks and is so different from my experience. No rattling from the frame. I didn't have any problem with the throttle and I haven't had the motor ever cut out on me. I just got back from a 20 mile ride that was completely trouble free. From the way you describe it it sounds like maybe the motor is over-heating and cutting off. It isn't the most powerful motor in the world, but at least in my case (keeping in mind that I'm in Venice, Florida which is flat as a board and I weigh 165 pounds) it has never cut out on me. It doesn't seem like you've had it very long, maybe it's a lemon - it happens with every brand once in a while. Have you talked to David ? He seems to be really helpful, I'm sure he'll take care of the problem. Although I love this bike for use in Florida if I was using it in a hilly area I would definitely think about a bike with multiple speeds and a larger motor/battery.

Overheating was my thought as well, especially when it comes after a hill, but I've had mile-long climbs at 4-5% grade where it worked great but would cut out on city streets a mile later. Right now, however, it won't really go at all. I feel bad delivering a "review" now because E-Glide and David are trying to help. I've talked to him and their tech guy a couple of times, and they're sending new electronics. Hoping that helps, but it really sounds like it's the motor (in my uninformed opinion).

It's been a bit over a week now since I installed new electronics (shipped priority from E-Glide under warranty) and I've had just one brief issue in about 70 miles of riding, including none in the last 65 or so. Crossing my fingers that the issue is fixed. E-Glide has been helpful in trying to figure out what the issue was.

Back