Known Issues & Problems with BionX Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from BionX as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I have a 48V BionX battery on my Ohm ebike. When I charge it, it will periodically give off a short, soft whistle.
It does this shortly after I plug it into the charger, and periodically during the charge period. It seems like it also does it when it 'goes green'.
Is there a pattern or system at work here, or what?

@ChuckT, I've heard a series of moderate beeps out of a BionX charger before with a Trek and OEM BionX kit but will need to check with OHM about yours. With the others, there seemed to be some sort of interruption during a charge cycle and for another it was a faulty charger. I'll get back to you on this.

I had a recurring problem with my D-500 motor cutting off on bumpy roads. The console would go dark after a bump for just a short moment and then come back on at zero assist. Occasionally there would be an error code. I Googled the issue and found that several other riders have reported the same shut down. My dealer suspected a faulty cable connector. He replaced the battery docking station which included all new cables. That did not fix it.

I finally discovered that the G2 console was jiggling ever so slightly in its mounting dock even when clicked in completely, briefly breaking electrical contact after sharp bumps on an unsuspended touring bike. Perhaps this problem has been addressed with the newer RC3 console but the G2 works better with my drop bar bike. Here's my fix, two wire ties. Partially blocks the screen but I can see what I need to see...
console with wire ties.jpg

If the G2 console loses contact unfasten the screw in the middle of the mount a bit. This usaully will help.

Connection problems mostly occure at the BAAS power connectors from battery to motor (those connectors are not suitable for currents up to 30A). You have to "widen" the male pins until the contact is very strong and it is a good idea to clean those connectors from time to time. Out of warrenty you may replace those connectors with better ones like XT60.

In the newer BionX systems bionX changed the connectors.

Also the SUB-D connectors on the battery and battery mount should be cleaned regularly. Some new BionX systems changed to Rosenberger connectors recently.

The Hirose HR-30 connectors for the CAN bus are high quality and rarely are the cause of problems.

Last edited:
My problem with the g2 console is a little worse, the two wires coming from accelerator into the dock pulled out when I tried to relocate the docking station to a better position. Wires are red and black but when I opened the dock backplate found the circuit board where they pulled off no markings only two pins but no where have I found a wiring diagram to show connection, any ideas where circuit board schematic can be obtained.

Thanks Bob I had found that site, and asked them if they had a wiring diagram of the dock, no answer. they show the dock, good outside view;) the cable to the right connects to the two contacts but no + or - printed or written on the circuit board they were connected to. I don't want to take a chance on reversing the wires and screw up the computer one red and one black both were disconnected at the same time so it is 50/50 to guess and get it right. the pins on the dock are directly connect to the small board. If I can't find a diagram it would be worth buying another dock and keeping old one as a spare after I get the right wire connections off the new one;) No markings on the console case as to +- and it is a sealed unit.
1526237014497.png

Dave, I checked mine with an ohm meter. The top contact on the dock goes to the outer cable conductor, the lower contact goes to the center pin. I'd take one of mine apart for an inspection but afraid I'd break something or loose one of those little screws!
console dock.jpg

Exactly what I needed, thanks.
By the way small screws and loss was my thought too;( tried my magnet trick to hang on to them and they are ss screws so had to move each screw to a container to keep track of them.

I think I might be having a problem with my downtube battery dock, also. My bike with G2 Bionx System was stolen. My battery wasn't on the bike and it was still strong, so I started trying to put together another G2 System from online parts. I was able to get a G2 motor, Controller & controller dock - but not a G2 (downtube) battery dock. I was told that a G1 battery dock is the same as a G2, so it would work. When I plug the system all together I get the attached 4 screens and no control over the motor.

Do you think that the G1 battery dock is my problem?Bionx Boot 01.jpgBionx Boot 02.jpgBionx Boot 03.jpgBionx Boot 04.jpg

I think I might be having a problem with my downtube battery dock, also. My bike with G2 Bionx System was stolen. My battery wasn't on the bike and it was still strong, so I started trying to put together another G2 System from online parts. I was able to get a G2 motor, Controller & controller dock - but not a G2 (downtube) battery dock. I was told that a G1 battery dock is the same as a G2, so it would work. When I plug the system all together I get the attached 4 screens and no control over the motor.

Do you think that the G1 battery dock is my problem?(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Hi, you could solve the problem with the G2 Bion X console block, since I have the same problem and I don't know how to unlock it, thanks

Back