Kindernay goes Kaput

JRA

Apparently the German company Kindernay has gone bankrupt. https://www.cyclingabout.com/kindernay-hub-no-longer-they-went-bankrupt/

There was a good amount of interest on here awhile back of those looking to delete their derailleur systems and took the leap of faith to spend $$$$ converting to the system. Unfortunately they had issues pretty much from the start with leaking fluid primarily that never got resolved? I suppose now without any support the systems still in use will eventually fail to the point of no return and become just another part in the pile. Sad but kind of a statement as to folks putting faith into an untested product.

hopefully enviolo and pinion don’t go the same route ! enviolo seems to have good market penetration in the bike share space, but it’s easy to forget how new these companies are. easy come, easy go ….

if you want an IGH from someone who had been around a while, rohloff, shimano, sturmey.

Unfortunately a lot of new "products" should really be called "prototypes". Ready to retail products require a lot of development and support (time and money) to finally make a profitable product.
Look at all the ebike manufacturers that have come and gone while just a few have made it big quickly...

if you want an IGH from someone who had been around a while, rohloff, shimano, sturmey.
The S-A S80 8 speed IGH was garbage. Pawl started popping off shifter ring every 100' after 500 miles. Shifter ring was plastic. Scrapped it. What idiot decided that the unconnected speed was 8? Speed 8 is useful only for falling out of a helicopter.
I had good luck with the 3 speed S-A speed products made in UK. Owned since 1966. Bike was stolen 1986; I never wore it out.
I've been wrestling with a Shimano alfine 7001 8 speed hub for 2 years. 3 orders and I still don't have enough parts to shift it. Maybe you have to buy a special thumb shifter to get the bushing that fits in the arm on the hub that holds the cable? Small parts kit only has the arm & some locater washers. I hate thumb shifters; a shimano put a 10 cm x 1cm cyst over my thumb joint in 2016-17. Same as the S-A S80, Alfine 7001 is stuck in useless 8th speed until I get some magic unpurchaseable part installed. Just checked, modernbike (where I bought it) does not have a bushing yet.
Was a real PITB to get the rubber ring off the Allfine to install the brake disk. Then there is the yearly dealer service requirement, to spin the ring off with a special tool to lube it with some patented compound. ****, the SA 3 speed had a little hole to drop 3-in-1 oil in it yearly.

Last edited:
I looked at Kindernay. Was not impressed with the company nor dealer expertise, and they rarely stocked the 14 speed.

Extremely happy with my Rohloff hub, the 37 year old Rohloff company, and my U.S. Dealer/Service Center.

It is a fine machine.

I guess I won't have to worry about sending my Kindernay hub all the way back to Germany when it falls again. :confused:
I should have seen the writing was on the wall when riders had their leaking hubs replaced only to have them start leaking again.

If (probably more like when) my hub starts leaking again I'll go back to a regular derailleur setup.

What a sh*t show.

hopefully enviolo and pinion don’t go the same route ! enviolo seems to have good market penetration in the bike share space, but it’s easy to forget how new these companies are. easy come, easy go ….

Pinion was founded in 2006 and I doubt it is going anywhere. Enviolo I think was founded in 2015.

If (probably more like when) my hub starts leaking again I'll go back to a regular derailleur setup.

What a sh*t show.

You should try a bottle of this next time,.. 😂

Screenshot_20231129-192614_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Or maybe you need this one?

Screenshot_20231129-192914_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I don't know if your hub counts as an automatic or a manual transmission?

Pinion was founded in 2006 and I doubt it is going anywhere. Enviolo I think was founded in 2015.
Pinion and Enviolo have been adopted by many bike manufacturers, so they should have a resiliant sales/parts/service network.

I guess I won't have to worry about sending my Kindernay hub all the way back to Germany when it falls again. :confused:
I should have seen the writing was on the wall when riders had their leaking hubs replaced only to have them start leaking again.

What a sh*t show.
I feel you man that was a $1200 US upgrade on WW ebikes.
I'm sticking with conventional derailleur setup. I've considered wireless shifters but not yet fully convinced that it's better. I have been doing my adjustments on my derailleur and I don’t mind at all. It has become so simple that I do it monthly on my commuter bike easily I ride 300 + miles each week. My other bike on the other hand, have not made adjustments to it for over 6 months.

An OBTW: Nuvinci went under and became Enviolo. A second act might be possible for Kindernay. The Nuvinci hub, as rescued in Enviolo, had to wait for it's moment. Which was the ebike. A beautiful concept but heavy and with significant power loss. Battery power took care of all that.

I ordered a SWAP cage and some oil for my Kindernay gear hubs a few weeks ago from Cycle Monkey. I hope this will not affect my order. But it looks like they do not have the items in stock since they still have not sent me the purchased items. Also all these items on the Kindernay website are out of stock.

What a sh*t show.
My Ariel Rider C class has a Nexus 7 IGH, which has given me no problems whatsoever. It works via a twist shifter, which also has been flawless. I hope I don't ever have to go back to derailleur again.

I ordered a SWAP cage and some oil for my Kindernay gear hubs a few weeks ago from Cycle Monkey. I hope this will not affect my order. But it looks like they do not have the items in stock since they still have not sent me the purchased items. Also all these items on the Kindernay website are out of stock.
I'm lucky, I guess, because I ordered extra gear oil a while back, because it was hard to get.

My hub didn't leak until I did a hard ride (while riding on pavement) hitting 1500-1700W a number of times.
Right after that the hub started to leak.

I'm lucky, I guess, because I ordered extra gear oil a while back, because it was hard to get.

My hub didn't leak until I did a hard ride (while riding on pavement) hitting 1500-1700W a number of times.
Right after that the hub started to leak.
That is good at least. It only leaked after a high power ride, and you have the gear oil to keep it going untill you can tear it down.

Back