Kickstand

ymarty

Hi Everyone

I need help finding a kickstand that would hold up my 58lb bike with maybe another 10lbs of groceries. The kickstand that came with my bike broke after putting a small bag of veggies in the rack. Yes, it was plastic on the end and useless, so my bike tipped over.

Anyone have a suggestion for a strong kick stand? What I currently have, that broke, is similar to this.

1537604295826.png

Ymarty ...
The Swiss company Pletscher is a highly regarded manufacturer of kickstands. My suggestion is to start with the Pletscher website for an overview of ruggedly reliable kickstands.

In my pre-ebike days I used a Pletscher two-legged centre-mounted kickstand - excellent but unlikely to suit many ebikes (and definitely none with Bosch or other central motors).

Rear-mount kickstands can bolt directly onto the bike frame or clamp onto the stays.

Those which bolt directly onto the frame are usually preferable. There appears to be a standard used by kickstand manufacturers called KSA (KickStand A?); hence KSA 18 (holes 18 mmm apart as on my Trek Powerfly) and KSA 40 (40 mm spacing). If you have a plate with two holes at the rear of your left chainstay, offer grateful thanks to your ebike's maker. Unfortunately, manufacturers tend to interpret the standard in their own way but they do get the spacing correct.

I use a Pletscher Comp Flex KSA 18 on my eMTB and am satisfied with its quality. Websites: Bike24.com // Pletscher .

Of the clamp-on variety of kickstand, I suggest choosing one that attaches to both stays (chain and seat) to form a rigid triangle - unlike the kickstand in your photo.

Kickstands also come in auto-closing (flick up when your speed pedelec is in vertical position and ready to zoom) and kick-closed versions for most of us.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Ymarty ...
The Swiss company Pletscher is a highly regarded manufacturer of kickstands. My suggestion is to start with the Pletscher website for an overview of ruggedly reliable kickstands.

In my pre-ebike days I used a Pletscher two-legged centre-mounted kickstand - excellent but unlikely to suit many ebikes (and definitely none with Bosch or other central motors).

Rear-mount kickstands can bolt directly onto the bike frame or clamp onto the stays.

Those which bolt directly onto the frame are usually preferable. There appears to be a standard used by kickstand manufacturers called KSA (KickStand A?); hence KSA 18 (holes 18 mmm apart as on my Trek Powerfly) and KSA 40 (40 mm spacing). If you have a plate with two holes at the rear of your left chainstay, give thanks to your ebike's maker. Unfortunately, manufacturers tend to interpret the standard in their own way but they do get the spacing correct.

Of the clamp-on variety of kickstand, I suggest choosing one that attaches to both the left chain and seat stays - unlike the kickstand in your photo.

Kickstands also come in auto-closing (flick up when your speed pedelec is in vertical position and ready to zoom) and kick-closed versions for the rest of us.
... David

Solid advice

@ymarty , is your bike still under warranty? They should replace the kickstand. That said, it sounds like it wasn't working for you. My kickstand holds up my bike great, even when loaded with groceries, so I would totally encourage you to get a kickstand that works well for how you use the bike. @David Berry 's message contains a wealth of information. Thanks, David!

The kickstand is under warranty but most likely they will just send me the same and if it broke that easily, I would rather pay for something better. There is a mom and pop bike down the road from me so I biked over there this morning. What a great couple that run it and they had a pletscher center kickstand, which is really nice and makes the bike very steady. He was kind enough to remove the old stand, put on the new for me and everything cost 20.00. Its actually nice because I can tip forward to work on the back tire or tip it back to work on the front tire.

1537652228052.png

Wonderful that you were able to get local help, a great product, and installation, and be on your way better than new for $20.00! A happy ending!!!

What a great couple that run it and they had a Pletscher center kickstand, which is really nice and makes the bike very steady. He was kind enough to remove the old stand, put on the new for me and everything cost $20. Its actually nice because I can tip forward to work on the back tire or tip it back to work on the front tire.
Ymarty, you've installed the gold standard kickstand in the Pletscher line and the one that I had on my Airnimal Black Rhino. There are a few photos showing its tipping ability on a thread started by Amish David in June - EBR Forum : Heavy Duty Kickstand .

I think Amy has cracked the KSA code - embarrassingly obvious!
... David

Ymarty, you've installed the gold standard kickstand in the Pletscher line and the one that I had on my Airnimal Black Rhino. There are a few photos showing its tipping ability on a post started by Amish David in June - EBR Forum : Heavy Duty Kickstand .

I think Amy has cracked the KSA code - embarrassingly obvious!
... David

Will these Pletscher kickstands work if your bike does not have any braze-ons/mounting points for a kickstand? I have an eMTB at 50lbs and would like to add a kickstand.

Will these Pletscher kickstands work if your bike does not have any braze-ons/mounting points for a kickstand?
  • KSA kickstands require a KSA mounting plate on the left chain stay. The bolt spacing on chain stay and kickstand must match.
  • The double-leg Pletscher stands require sufficient room between the chain stays immediately behind the bottom bracket. This is most unlikely with a centre-drive motor and not necessarily the case with other ebikes.
There are alternatives; try the type that clamps onto both the chain stay and the seat stay. They aren't the most elegant solution but are robust.
… David

I have the same kickstand as you. Mine also broke; basically you could no longer use that button to adjust the length and the "tip" would just fall off. I used some epoxy and glued it for the length I usually kept it at. 'No longer adjustable, but has held up. This is a valuable thread though on some better more durable options :)

I also have an ebike that came without a kickstand, but is something I want to add now. Pletscher rear mounts look great but I have not found any North American suppliers. What else is out there that is suitable for a ~60lb MTB?

My Cannondale Synapse Neo came without a kickstand ( not surprisingly) so I took the one I purchased 2 yrs ago in Austria off my touring bike.
It is an Ergotec Humpert model . Cannot see a number.
Very very good stabilty now on my ebike.
The beauty of this is that it attaches to the both stays at the rear. It clears the disc brake mechanism and has good adjustment if necessary.
Whether this is available in Nth America I have no idea but Amazon might be worth a look.

Attachments

• stand 1.jpg
    stand 1.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 1,703
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 724
Back