Kia Ora from NZ

sonusfaber#1

Hi y'all, so this is my Tangerine Dream, purchased from Evo Bikes about a month ago, the avatar is how I travel to work...Bayswater Marina to Downtown Auckland. Second pix is at about 7.30am waiting for the 7.40am ferry...beautiful way to start the day ;)

Attachments

• IMG20180518162048.jpg
    IMG20180518162048.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG20180521072406.jpg
    IMG20180521072406.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG20180522071834.jpg
    IMG20180522071834.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 445
Hi y'all, so this is my Tangerine Dream, purchased from Evo Bikes about a month ago, the avatar is how I travel to work...Bayswater Marina to Downtown Auckland. Second pix is at about 7.30am waiting for the 7.40am ferry...beautiful way to start the day ;)
Nice bike, nice commute and even a nicer place to live :)

NZ is one of the few places in the world I will go back and visit. Visited southern South Island for 3 weeks last year. Beautiful country and friendly people. Strange thing was you lot always seem to want to go somewhere else and are big travellers. Kiwis don't know how good they've got it.

Hey cheers, I always tell my students that they are lucky to live here, pretty safe, relaxed lifestyle, good food/coffee/wine/water......but yeah, being at the bottom of the world, we've pretty much got to fly to see the rest of the planet.
South Is, or the Mainland as they like to call it is truly beautiful, I remember some work colleagues in Dubai asking if all the scenery in LOTR was CGI???, made me proud, but a little homesick....

Hey cheers, I always tell my students that they are lucky to live here, pretty safe, relaxed lifestyle, good food/coffee/wine/water......but yeah, being at the bottom of the world, we've pretty much got to fly to see the rest of the planet.
South Is, or the Mainland as they like to call it is truly beautiful, I remember some work colleagues in Dubai asking if all the scenery in LOTR was CGI???, made me proud, but a little homesick....
Well, tbh, it's pretty much all downhill from NZ. So much beauty crammed in one place - and it's mostly unspoilt. Have to admit seeing palms and ferns was perhaps most surprising - especially right next to the glaciers. Thought it was all going to be snow-capped craggy peaks. It's an adventurer's dreamscape.

Yeah, if you travel to Whangarei/Kaitaia/Dargaville, it's pretty warm, and the North Island is considered a bit more tropical than the South Is. We generally don't get snow north of Taupo, but as I guess you experienced, its not uncommon to have four seasons in one day( shout out to Crowded House) ;), and unlike many other parts of the world, pretty much nothing here that will fatally poison, bite, attack, maul, sting, drown or view you as a bipedal protein snack....looking at you Aussie!!

Beautiful country; wonderful people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ. The Otago Rail Trail has recieved a lot of publicity. It's become something of a fashion statement. Something everyone "has to do" as if it's a rite of passage, especially in your middle age. I fell into the trap. Was one of the first to use an ebike on it and in fact I had a massive argument with the DOC ranger over it. Ended up writing to the Ombudsman complaining about their stance. Four weeks after the letter the annoucement was made that ebikes could be ridden on the ORT. Anyhow I digress. The point being that the ORT would be the most boring ride in the country. Miles of flat straight rail track, no woods, forest, bush or birds to speak of. Okay some of the vistas might be seen in tourists eyes as spectacular but the ride, is monotonous and uninspiring. No doubt I will be taken to task over this by Kiwi's who will disagree but I'm stating it as I see it. In my opinion the most spectacular multi day ride is the Queen Charlotte Track in the Marlborough sounds, http://www.qctrack.co.nz orth e old ghost road https://oldghostroad.org.nz. both of them leave the ORT for dead.

Darren ...

Can you let us know something about what regulations apply to ebikes in NZ, please.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2020 i plan to visit NZ and Oz, and I can't wait for that! I'll be hitting you all up for tips and advice when I get into the serious planning stages. Doubt it will be a biking trip at this point, but perhaps I'll look into any rental ebikes then...

Back