Keep your ebikes stored somewhere safe!

Cameron Newland

Some small-time burglar snuck into our condo building's secure parking garage last night and they stole our bikes' LED headlights, headlight batteries, one LED tail light, the removable screen/control pad from an Easy Motion Evo Street, and an all-weather triangle bag. The thief (or thieves) also tried to remove my IZIP E3 Dash's backlit display, but since they didn't have the proper tool(s), they just left it at a strange angle and it still works fine.

Luckily, our two e-bikes were secured via U-locks to a heavy (60+ lbs) cement-filled bucket, so they didn't get much.

Let our (minor) misfortune be a reminder to you all that you ought to take every reasonable precaution when it comes to securing your ebikes and attached accessories.

We're now storing our bikes in our apartment, however, this isn't ideal as we have to lug our bikes up and down stairs. :-(

Some small-time burglar snuck into our condo building's secure parking garage last night and they stole our bikes' LED headlights, headlight batteries, one LED tail light, the removable screen/control pad from an Easy Motion Evo Street, and an all-weather triangle bag. The thief (or thieves) also tried to remove my IZIP E3 Dash's backlit display, but since they didn't have the proper tool(s), they just left it at a strange angle and it still works fine.

Luckily, our two e-bikes were secured via U-locks to a heavy (60+ lbs) cement-filled bucket, so they didn't get much.

Let our (minor) misfortune be a reminder to you all that you ought to take every reasonable precaution when it comes to securing your ebikes and attached accessories.

We're now storing our bikes in our apartment, however, this isn't ideal as we have to lug our bikes up and down stairs. :-(
Sorry to hear, I guess it could have been worse, glad for you bikes were saved. What kind of locks were successful? Any suggestions for us from your experience? What will you do in future?

Sorry to hear, I guess it could have been worse, glad for you bikes were saved. What kind of locks were successful? Any suggestions for us from your experience? What will you do in future?

We were using the Kryptonite KryptoLok series 2. The only suggestions I have are to keep your ebike in a secure area like a private garage, a bike locker, or your home/apartment/condo. Even supposedly secure parking garages are rife with theft. I remember that a year ago, some guy had his IZIP E3 Peak stolen in Seattle from a secure parking garage at his condo building, and I believe his bike was locked to some sturdy steel bar, and his lock was either cut or picked and was left behind. In the future, we're keeping our bikes in our apartment. We're hoping to buy a home some day that has a ground-floor private garage.

Seems every year a friend or acquaintance has a bike stolen. I always ask the same two questions, what lock and what about next time. It's rare when a thief tries and fails, I just assume thieves don't try unless they're fairly sure they'll succeed. Of the thefts I know personally about, most of the defeated locks were cable locks. I used a cable lock up until 3 years ago. Really glad your bikes weren't taken. Most likely due to good locks.

The kryptonite series 2 seems to be about the best bang for the buck. They can often be found just over thirty dollars with a little patience, but even at 40 they are a good value. I have 2 of them, along with an abus iven lock that is just a beast of a steel braided cable that is an inch thick.

That's too bad Cameron.. At least you protected the most important part.. your bikes.

Lugging an ebike up and down the steps is a pain in the butt..

I'm getting ready to downsize from a 4/2 to a townhouse.. It must have a garage though for all my toys!

I always think it's scummy when thieves steal bikes or accessories; thank goodness they didn't get your ebikes, Cameron! Although on the more expensive side, the Abus locks have some of the best quality German steel, are compact and harder to break than most U-locks but it's better to use some sort of U-lock than depend upon a braided cable lock for security. Their Bordo folding locks are real handy, with flat plates of steel rather than a chain (although they do make chain locks.)

Some small-time burglar snuck into our condo building's secure parking garage

Yikes...sorry to hear that news. I store my bikes in the middle of nowhere (literally) that's where I live :D. The only people who show up in my door yard are lost!

Court J.

Rather than deal with 2 flights of steps, I lock my Pedego on the front porch, an Abus Ulock for the frame and rear wheel and an Abus mesh steel cable on the front wheel, both around porch rails, then loop a long Kryptonite cable around a porch beam through a lightweight cable from the seatpost through the frame to inside the Abus Ulock. Man, it takes just as long to lock and unlock than to ride it to work! But as long as it's more secure than the bike next to it, as the saying goes.

Can't believe I have to update my prior post. Pedego stolen overnight, depite Abus Ulock and two steel cables. They cut the cables apparently and then just had to break the porch railing to lift the bike out and away. So glad I choose to get insurance, though I think tar and feather is appropriate for thieves.

Sorry to hear your bike was stolen. It's really hurt. Not only you lost money that you paid for the bike, but also you lost the bike to go to work or somewhere. I wonder if some kind of security alarm attached to the bike would help to prevent theft?

Last edited:
Can't believe I have to update my prior post. Pedego stolen overnight, depite Abus Ulock and two steel cables. They cut the cables apparently and then just had to break the porch railing to lift the bike out and away. So glad I choose to get insurance, though I think tar and feather is appropriate for thieves.
Thieves SUCK!

After reading all of this, even if I did live in an apartment, I'd definitely haul the bike up/down the steps. Any inconvenience I got from that would be offset by not having thousands of dollars of electric bike and/or accessories stolen and possibly not being able to replace them :(

After reading all of this, even if I did live in an apartment, I'd definitely haul the bike up/down the steps. Any inconvenience I got from that would be offset by not having thousands of dollars of electric bike and/or accessories stolen and possibly not being able to replace them :(

Thanks all, for the replies. I did have insurance so that lessens the bite, but I'm out the $300 deductible and about $200 in locks and accessories. I'm now looking into a folding bike (possibly Pedego Latch) which serves the commuting purpose and easy to haul up the steps!

This just sucks.

The one question I always ask is "what do you think these thieves do with our stuff after they steal it?" My guess is they sell it. Next time you see a Craigslist, eBay or flea market item where the prices is to good to be true, think about where the item may have come from and if you might be contributing to the problem.

I sold a used bike on Craigslist a few years ago and the guy insisted on seeing an original bill of sale from when i bought it. At the time I thought he was being a bit crazy, but he was replacing a bike that had been stolen and he refused to be part of the cycle.

Back