Karmic Bikes on YouTube!

We are post-sondors already?!

Why would he have to take back his comments? I'm not aware of any packs currently that you can easily remove and replace individual cells - none in that electric bike report could do so (except nts works...which is Karmic's battery...). I posed a question to you about our two name brand bikes, can we get the batteries replaced in them?

I'm hoping by the time my battery has declined there will be a high capacity (15 ah or more) battery available that will still fit in the frame. Then again, today I was thinking how a speed pedelec would be nice some day... or maybe Hong will have designed and released a step-thru bike just waiting for me with all the features I will want, but don't even know yet. It could happen!

@PowerMe did you know that if the campaign reaches $500K they are going to offer a step through frame option? (though it sounds like there are some other features not offered you are also looking for)

I did not know that! Hong did hint at some good surprises coming. The thing is, my EVO Street is only 2 months old, so I'm really not in the market for another bike yet. But it warms the cockles of my heart that step-thru is a design they are also embracing. We short people (Hong, I'm only 5') need love too!

yeah they added some basic levels for simple perks a couple days ago - every $100K level (starting at 300k) they will add a new color option (voted on by contributors), at $350K they are going to add integrated lights for free, and at $500K the 2nd frame option. Nice, simple (and free) stretch options were a nice addition.

...but having to dismantle and resolder an entire battery is not easy work. a company like the rechargeable power energy that ann m referenced would be more likely to contract with a company to do the full rebuild and replacement work, not likely they would accept and rebuild packs for end users, it would probably be too costly to do that work direct to the consumer (correct me if i am wrong ann!)
Actually, RPE is the end manufacturer and the one doing the replacement, not an outsourcing agency.

Actually, RPE is the end manufacturer and the one doing the replacement, not an outsourcing agency.

So they are just replacing all the called and recycling the old soldered pack right? Is that something they do for the average consumer? If yes, those are both good things!

The nts system to me is still trying to go a step beyond in trying to have a pack where individual cells can vee replaced that would increase longevity and decrease costs.

If it is an idea that takes hold, think of having a dealer network where you could drop your pack off and pick it up again, refreshed with dud cells replaced, or better yet where they run an ongoing exchange (think like say an empty propane tank). Something like that would be more likely to take hold in the European market first, but who knows what the future holds!

Have you spoken to RPE? Do you know what their "rebuild" process entails? We know how our tech works, and we've got a pretty good idea of what they consider a "rebuild". It's not the same thing. I realize people take your word as fact since you're a Mod, so please check on what RPE actually does. :)

Indeed, fact checking is good! RPE will replace individual cells when appropriate or whole packs and/or BMS as needed or based on the overall age of the pack. They do a complete diagnostic before committing to a job. As the technical training becomes better, then there will be more shops doing work on Li battery packs. At this time, the LEVA (Light Electric Vehicle Assoc.) does provide some training on lithium batteries in their 3rd level Ebike technician certification classes. Hopefully we will see more intense tech training in the next few years.

I wouldn't expect a LBS that doesn't specialize in eBikes particularly to have such capabilities. They barely know how to work on eBikes as just bikes now. I think the safe assumption is used packs will need to be sent somewhere specified by Karmic.

Indeed, fact checking is good! RPE will replace individual cells when appropriate or whole packs and/or BMS as needed or based on the overall age of the pack.

This isn't exactly true. They do not replace individual cells that have been soldered into a pack. If we're going to get accused of lying about our technology, I wish the same level of honesty was expected from the rest of the community, particularly Moderators who are supposed to be the pillars of this community.

Just thinking here ... If you are going to pay about half the price of a new pack to get an old, worn-out pack rebuilt, what would be the point of saving any of the old cells anyway?

Back