Kalkhoff Impulse EVO RS 250 watt motor

E-Wheels

Hi EBR e-bikers,
Anyone know anything (good or bad) about Kalkhoff's Impulse EVO RS 250 watt motor?
I can't find much info on-line other than the marketing blurb on Kalkhoff"s site
There are some reviews from people who have bought bikes from Kalkhoff's registered selling agents/LBS but not many reviews specifically about the Impulse EVO RS 250 watt motor
It would be good to hear from anyone who has unsolicited or unbiased opinions who can share their "real life" experience with this motor
I look forward to hearing from you
Thanking you in advance for any comments you may have or for sharing your personal experiences
Best regards,
E-Wheels

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up EddieJ
It's hard to believe that there is no chatter in the EBR forums about similar issues to those being experienced by e-bikers in the UK and the EU
Maybe because most of the EBR members appear to be located in the US where the market and price point for the Kalkhoff/Focus product is small, not discovered or has been excluded
From what I can assertain there is no difference to the motors that are being sold in US to that those being sold in GB and the EU
I guess time and sales volumes will tell if the reported problems persist or have been (or will be) engineered out

Last edited:
My Impulse Evo RS motor was replaced free of charge when a mechanic noticed an unexpected click during a routine service. I hadn’t noticed anything wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kalkhoff Integrale was at the top of my shopping list back when I started my search in late 2016. Due to having a belt drive this was the bike I thought I wanted. I read, however, of the problems with the motor which made me a bit cautious. Then I went to the e-bike expo in Wash D.C. and rode both the 8 speed and the 11 speed. The 11 speed motor had a knock which the rep at the expo chalked up to it being a demo bike. It was about then that I wrote it off of my list (also contributing was a not very responsive local dealer and the introduction of Riese and Muller to the USA).

I've decided to save my pennies for 2019 R&M Homage Rohloff, which I regard as R&M's old folks' Delite.
... David

Shimano replaced the Di2 motor unit without charge.

Evo RS motor running well.

Today I bought a Trek eMTB to supplement (perhaps replace) the Kalkhoff.

I've parted company with the Kalkhoff and Airnimal folder, and am saving for an R&M Homage.

Back