Just hit 2500 miles, need new 27.5" x 1.95" tires and Maintenance suggestions

hoboin

Region
USA
Hello all, i am a daily rider on my Ariel Rider Rideal which i got back in August of last year, riding about 16 to 20 miles a day for the last 6 months, i use it to ride to work in all weather (minus snow and ice). The back tire balded VERY quickly, i would say within 1000 miles and when riding on some semi icy situations it was pretty scary so i would like to get some new ones but there are a lot of options out there and just seeing if any have any suggestions. The bike came with 27.5" x 1.95" and i would assume i would just want to replace them with the same x 1.95" but is there any reason i should go bigger?

Also any thing i should do besides heavy cleaning and checking/replacing brake pads? I have the tires off and i am going to take off the rotors and clean them before i inspect the brakes. Also i am trying to clean the bike fully and remove dirty and grease from various parts. Also i am replacing the chain now.

sounds like you’re getting great use out of the bike! no need to go bigger if you’ve been happy with the ride comfort on your typical surfaces, but that’s a very short lifespan for a tire. lots of choices in that approximate size, the schwalbe marathon is a durable, long lasting puncture resistant tire in 27.5 x 2. pretty heavy and expensive but bulletproof.

If my local bike shop doesn't have 2" kenda or Giant knobbies, I buy tires from modernbike.com IA or universalcycles.com PA or OR. I ride $26 knobbies on road because there are few flats as long as the knobs are >3/32" tall. I replace them after about 2000 miles, and most of them I never have a flat. Also knobbies climb the driveways better than street tires, now that the city has raised most driveways to a 1 1/2" edge. I reuse the tubes at 2000 miles, and I don't use slime liners or armor.
I will ride on snow, but will not ride on ice. There are spiked tires available, but there are few enough days with ice piled in the bike lane I just stay home, here in southern Indiana. In Minnesota I'd have to do a seasonal change of tires, or buy a car. Good reason to not retire in Minnesota, $4000 a year car amortization.
Bigger tires may be more comfortable on the bumps, but may not fit in your forks or fenders. 2.1" is as large as will fit my bike, a yuba bodaboda. I had to bend the fender struts out to clear the knobs on even those.

Last edited:
i ended up going with the following tire, at 27.5" and around 2" there weren't many options to get it shipped relatively quickly, and this was the best rated one that i could get quickly. The install of the tannus armor went in so much easier with the slightly larger tire, this new one was 2.1" vs my Rideal's 1.95" original tire.

Back